Issaan II

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Been there done that said:

Only a few responded to my question in the OP.

I wonder why. 

One reason might be the title: "Issaan II"  I does not sound like any interesting question or discussion. I clicked on it because I read Issaan (I) and I was bored. Otherwise I would have probably ignored it because of the title - even if it is interesting.

55 minutes ago, Been there done that said:

One can only wonder why :smile:

We are holding back for the

" Where did you meet your current wife/gf and what has she done to persuade you guys to try it and live there ? and how old was she when you met her"  thread

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

" Where did you meet your current wife/gf and what has she done to persuade you guys to try it and live there ? and how old was she when you met her"  thread

My missus was 16 when I met her in a gogo bar. And I didn't ask her where she wants to live. I gave her the opportunity to live with me where I want to live - in Bangkok.

10 hours ago, 473geo said:

Okay......the...would i lie to you.....thread. 

Shorter title.

Edited by Been there done that

I lived in Kalasin for a while and have visited it many times.  I loved the life there and general peace it offers. However to raise a family there, it is limited to say the least.  The schools are pretty poor and the hospital tries hard but lacks in quality.

The people on the whole were the nicest I met in Thailand and always decent to me and my family.  The roads were awful like all of Thailand but not quite as awful as other areas.

The police were everywhere, looking for backhanders on lots of dark corners, more so than other parts I have visited or lived in. 

The food was really good and there are a few nice pubs including Scott's by the bus terminal which offers a good night out and friendly, chilled out location.

The other farangs were on the whole really cool.  The Scandanavian contingent were terrific as were the Brits.  I never had an issue with any of them apart from a few of the younger ones who taught at the schools.

I would visit BKK and love the feeling when the bus turned into Kalasin. 

Not somewhere I could settle forever but certainly a place to retire to and visit a few weeks of the year.

I met my wife in Central Thailand at the company I work with and we moved back to live near her family.

Maybe the response hasn t been that great because as you probably well know Isaan according  to the opinions of most on this forum is a vast wasteland without cell or internet access.

Our pot holed dirt roads  make it difficult to get the village where all the men sit around drinking white whiskey while the women spend their days conning and  conspiring to fleece us old senile farangs that are overweight, usually drunk and three times the age of our exbar girl wives.

After we are feed our meal of bugs and rice, our wives usually spend the afternoon  at the local resort with the long lost brother that our wives support. We spend the afternoon drinking and paying double for the vet to come and look at our sick buffaloes before our wives return, tired and sleepy from their daily family reunion.

As absolute blackness befalls Isaan, the violent young men on their scooters overtake the community and we huddle in the corner of our raised wooden houses, with the third bottle of white whiskey for the day and take care of children that our wives have had with 3 or 4 of the local, layabout men. Packs of soi dogs prowl the community and after dark us Isaan farang rarely leave our homes except to use the outdoor toilet.

I am sure more of us would love to discuss the pleasures  of Isaan life, but then if we had anything to offer to TVisa  forum we would be living in Pattaya like all the modern, smart, young and handsome men do.

SARCASM for you bkk and sincity guys, most of whom need to look the definition of the word up.

ISAAN BANHOU

Edited by greatwhitenorth

7 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

Maybe the response hasn t been that great because as you probably well know Isaan according  to the opinions of most on this forum is a vast wasteland without cell or internet access.

Our pot holed dirt roads  make it difficult to get the village where all the men sit around drinking white whiskey while the women spend their days conning and  conspiring to fleece us old senile farangs that are overweight, usually drunk and three times the age of our exbar girl wives.

After we are feed our meal of bugs and rice, our wives usually spend the afternoon  at the local resort with the long lost brother that our wives support. We spend the afternoon drinking and paying double for the vet to come and look at our sick buffaloes before our wives return, tired and sleepy from their daily family reunion.

As absolute blackness befalls Isaan, the violent young men on their scooters overtake the community and we huddle in the corner of our raised wooden houses, with the third bottle of white whiskey for the day and take care of children that our wives have had with 3 or 4 of the local, layabout men. Packs of soi dogs prowl the community and after dark us Isaan farang rarely leave our homes except to use the outdoor toilet.

I am sure more of us would love to discuss the pleasures  of Isaan life, but then if we had anything to offer to TVisa  forum we would be living in Pattaya like all the modern, smart, young and handsome men do.

SARCASM for you bkk and sincity guys, most of whom need to look the definition of the word up.

ISAAN BANHOU

The funny part about your post is that most of us have heard enough stories about what you describe. Maybe not all in one story, but all sounds somehow true. And I guess it wouldn't sound true if it would not resemble reality - at least from time to time.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The funny part about your post is that most of us have heard enough stories about what you describe. Maybe not all in one story, but all sounds somehow true. And I guess it wouldn't sound true if it would not resemble reality - at least from time to time.

And every time I read about another farang pedophile being arrested in Pats, it reinforces what is already known about all that live there.  and every time I read about a farang jumping from a tall building in BKK  and splats himself on his Benz because his boiler room has been raided it make me smile as that what I believe must be the real.

Funny how prejudices can be justified.  

ISAAN BANHOU

I don't see sarcasm, I see a few exaggerations but in general you nailed it! [emoji3]

24 minutes ago, greatwhitenorth said:

And every time I read about another farang pedophile being arrested in Pats, it reinforces what is already known about all that live there.  and every time I read about a farang jumping from a tall building in BKK  and splats himself on his Benz because his boiler room has been raided it make me smile as that what I believe must be the real.

Funny how prejudices can be justified.  

I think you describe the truth. That's obviously not what happens all the time, but it happens, and most likely in these places.

And about Isaan: I visited the village of my gf, and her sister’s village, and her friend’s village, a couple of times. In all these places the roads were bad and full of aggressive dogs, my DTAC phone did not work and I had to buy an AIS SIM to stay connected. As far as I see it is normal that people get drunk, especially when the farang pays for it. The few farangs which I met up there are most often old and overweight. I didn’t encounter a sick buffalo but then again I never believed they exist. I guess I could continue like that. It’s not all bad and different places have different attractions. But if you would describe what you do without a name of a place and would ask 10 people living in Thailand which place you describe guess how they would answer…

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think you describe the truth. That's obviously not what happens all the time, but it happens, and most likely in these places.

And about Isaan: I visited the village of my gf, and her sister’s village, and her friend’s village, a couple of times. In all these places the roads were bad and full of aggressive dogs, my DTAC phone did not work and I had to buy an AIS SIM to stay connected. As far as I see it is normal that people get drunk, especially when the farang pays for it. The few farangs which I met up there are most often old and overweight. I didn’t encounter a sick buffalo but then again I never believed they exist. I guess I could continue like that. It’s not all bad and different places have different attractions. But if you would describe what you do without a name of a place and would ask 10 people living in Thailand which place you describe guess how they would answer…

You don't realise that in a home with internet any wifi enabled phone will connect. I can connect with a uk network sim!! You show only too well your limited understanding.

59 minutes ago, 473geo said:

You don't realise that in a home with internet any wifi enabled phone will connect. I can connect with a uk network sim!! You show only too well your limited understanding.

And you don't seem to realize that some people use phones to call people and receive calls (not just IP-voice calls). I know it's a little old-fashioned but people still do that.

And then there are all the homes which don't have landlines, WLAN, internet....

I agree with you it's sad that some people have very limited understanding.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And you don't seem to realize that some people use phones to call people and receive calls (not just IP-voice calls). I know it's a little old-fashioned but people still do that.

And then there are all the homes which don't have landlines, WLAN, internet....

I agree with you it's sad that some people have very limited understanding.

Er we are talking Farang homes are we not? I guess for a two day visitor to the 'family' home easy to go away with the impression you portray.

Edited by 473geo

The one thing I love about being away from the city is having an excuse to be out of contact from the outside world for a while.

When I lived there I had full internet access plus cable TV for my football.

It took a while to adapt but given the choice I'd take it over the big Thai cities if education was better.

11 hours ago, Barnet said:

The one thing I love about being away from the city is having an excuse to be out of contact from the outside world for a while.

When I lived there I had full internet access plus cable TV for my football.

It took a while to adapt but given the choice I'd take it over the big Thai cities if education was better.

You can switch off the news and internet anywhere, not just when you are forced to do it. I recently read that some rich tech guru from Google or a company like that installed a device in his house so that Internet is switched off after a certain time. I think that's crazy. Just don't use it if you don't want to use it, is that so difficult?

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You can switch off the news and internet anywhere, not just when you are forced to do it. I recently read that some rich tech guru from Google or a company like that installed a device in his house so that Internet is switched off after a certain time. I think that's crazy. Just don't use it if you don't want to use it, is that so difficult?

I'm talking about having the excuse of 'the signal is zero where I am', when people ask why you haven't picked up a message or replied or liked a picture of sorts.

What's with the hang-up against people's decision to prefer life here?  Is it so difficult to understand that everybody has different tates and requirements in life?

1 hour ago, Barnet said:

I'm talking about having the excuse of 'the signal is zero where I am', when people ask why you haven't picked up a message or replied or liked a picture of sorts.

What's with the hang-up against people's decision to prefer life here?  Is it so difficult to understand that everybody has different tates and requirements in life?

Dont worry too much. It doesn’t fit in with their pre conceived ideas. 

Hard to believe that they are so happy with their lives that they struggle to accept others are actually doing something different to them and enjoying it.  

4 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Dont worry too much. It doesn’t fit in with their pre conceived ideas. 

Hard to believe that they are so happy with their lives that they struggle to accept others are actually doing something different to them and enjoying it.  

I wrote in my comment above that it is not necessary to move to a village up country to avoid the internet. Most people are capable of not using the internet when they chose not to use it - even if it is available 24/7 and even if these people live in the middle of Bangkok.

So much about "pre conceived ideas"...

For the vast majority of nearly all of the human race there is a deep burning desire burnt into our DNA that says we need to be around like minded people.

Living on a farm surrounded by drunken Thai men and the wife's family and a wife who speaks some broken English would have to be a lonely desperate life

That's the truth that's watered down with posts like "it's amazing to look at the trees and crops day in day out, so happy"

Errrm...

2 hours ago, toughlove said:

I now know your a loner with no western family contact and no farang buddies. Because that's exactly what you're comment above is saying. Sad emoji26.png

You are on the wrong thread Mr! you ain't gonna wind up the Issan guys, they have it too good already, the fact you can't accept or understand that is just going to make them laugh at you all the more :smile:

You are on the wrong thread Mr! you ain't gonna wind up the Issan guys, they have it too good already, the fact you can't accept or understand that is just going to make them laugh at you all the more [emoji2]

Shouldn't you be on your veranda watching the amazing sunrise, and then watch the grass, so amazing.

And about 11am wifey will FINALLY wake up and mutter the few words she knows "what you want eat hon?"

So happy [emoji23]