Record-shattering U.S. cold reaches into Florida

webfact

Record-shattering U.S. cold reaches into Florida

By Ian Simpson

2018-01-01T230656Z_1_LYNXMPEE0012P_RTROPTP_4_USA-WEATHER.JPG

A person dressed as a polar bear walks on the boardwalk after participating in the Coney Island Polar Bear Club New Year's Day Plunge on Coney Island Beach in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, U.S., January 1, 2018. REUTERS/Stephanie Keith

(Reuters) - Record-shattering arctic cold reached as far south as Florida on Monday with freeze warnings in place from Texas to the Atlantic Coast and the northeastern United States facing another cold wave at the end of the week, forecasters said.

Temperatures were from 20 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit (11 to 17 degrees Celsius) below normal across the United States east of the Rocky Mountains, with only southern Florida untouched by the arctic blast.

"That degree of cold will be with us until tomorrow," said Brian Hurley, a National Weather Service meteorologist at College Park, Maryland. "Tuesday morning, we're looking at temperatures with very high probability of record lows."

Along Alabama's Gulf Coast, the temperature in the city of Mobile could hit a low of 16F (minus 9C) overnight. Stiff breezes were expected to create dangerously cold wind chills across southeastern Georgia and most of northeastern Florida, the weather service said.

"Everybody's bundling up right now," said Ray, an employee at Love's Travel Stop in Loxley, Alabama, who declined to give his last name.

He said the winter temperatures were not unusual but the truck stop had prepared for the cold by putting additive in fuel to guarantee it would flow freely.

The mass of frigid air pumped south by a dip in the jet stream sent temperatures plunging across the U.S. heartland. Omaha posted a low of minus 20F (minus 29C), breaking a 130-year-old record, and Aberdeen, South Dakota, shattered a record set in 1919 with a temperature of minus 32F (minus 36C).

The cold will be unrelenting across the Middle Atlantic and northeastern United States, with up to two dozen low temperature records expected in those regions over the next day or two, Hurley said.

Although the cold should ease across most of the United States after Tuesday, the northeastern quarter of the country will see a repeat of the current frigid temperatures from Thursday to Friday as another arctic blast hits the area.

The private AccuWeather forecaster said the cold snap could combine with a storm brewing off the Bahamas to bring snow and high winds to much of the Eastern Seaboard as it heads north on Wednesday and Thursday.

The only part of the United States spared the deep freeze is the Southwest, with above-normal temperatures and dry weather expected to continue there, the weather service said.

(Reporting by Ian Simpson in Washington; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-02

13 minutes ago, Coconutman said:

Global cooling no wait its global warming no its climate change.

Whats will it be named next climate fluid thermals 

It's called weather.   It doesn't mean much in and of itself.   It does when it keeps occurring.   But it's so nice the deniers have something to grasp onto.   Meanwhile, in the desert SW, including AZ and California, it was the hottest summer on record (at least for AZ), it was one of the driest and it still remains unseasonably warm.   

22 minutes ago, Coconutman said:

7 minutes ago, Credo said:

It's called weather.   It doesn't mean much in and of itself.   It does when it keeps occurring.   But it's so nice the deniers have something to grasp onto.   Meanwhile, in the desert SW, including AZ and California, it was the hottest summer on record (at least for AZ), it was one of the driest and it still remains unseasonably warm.   

You just don't understand. You probably believe that the USA is located on planet earth and its weather fluctuations are just part of a larger system. You probably also believe that there is such a thing as climate and not that it's all just weather.

2 hours ago, Credo said:

I live in arizona.. nice try i talked to a friend there yesterday 73 during the day 43 at night.. just normal winter temps. Monsoon season was ealier and summer started later.. is the weather changing.. yes but it has since the begining of time.

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

You just don't understand. You probably believe that the USA is located on planet earth and its weather fluctuations are just part of a larger system. You probably also believe that there is such a thing as climate and not that it's all just weather.

Just by your post it shows how far off the planet you are. Please inform the rest of the world where the usa is we anxiously wait your little pearls of wisdom

3 hours ago, Credo said:

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yep, Credo is just another fool who believes in verified facts. What a moron!

Then he thinks that facts and basic knowledge can have any effect on a belief system! He probably thinks that most humans can learn, question their own beliefs, actually analyse both sides of an argument, check the money trail and a host of other useless abilities.

He's the kind of gullible twerp that paid attention at school, or even worse, went to university.

Listen idiot, climate change isn't happening! Thousands of scientists from hundreds of countries all got together in secret and agreed on a LIE! We saw several extracts from some emails that prove it! We don't actually understand the out of context snippets, but that just proves those lying scientists are liars!

Anyway, the change that isn't happening is caused by sun spots! No wait, it's caused by el nino. No, it's caused by car parks around weather stations, the Koch brothers told me so! They're rich, sell oil and pay for governments, so they must be right!

Besides, it was cold in Chicago 8 years ago. And polar bears don't need ice. And I haven't been hit by the increasing hurricanes. Get over it, it's a "natural" cycle. Geez....

Edited by AlphaSoiDog

59 minutes ago, Coconutman said:

Just by your post it shows how far off the planet you are. Please inform the rest of the world where the usa is we anxiously wait your little pearls of wisdom

Whoops, did you miss the joke? It's worth looking at again :)

Oh wait, it didn't support your belief system, you might not be able to see it at all.

Pity, it was a good post. Mostly because it didn't resort to this sites normal abusive put downs that purport to be knowledge or a cohesive argument.

Edited by AlphaSoiDog
Sentence structure issue.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Temperatures were from 20 to 30 degrees Fahrenheit (11 to 17 degrees Celsius) below normal across the United States east of the Rocky Mountains, with only southern Florida untouched by the arctic blast.

someones temperature converter appears to be malfunctioning

6 hours ago, Coconutman said:

Gee, maybe the average temperatures vary between years so not all years are the same. Maybe not in your world though, huh?

Sounds just like .....LAST YEAR, er, I mean the year before.  It's 2018 now. 

We were on the Florida panhandle for the month of February and got caught up in that storm and blast of cold that came down from NW Canada.  Cold as a witch's titty for us Thailand people, but even the locals were bundled up.

I recall hearing about N. Florida agriculture getting ice/frost during some winters in the past 30-40 odd years, it happens. 

8 hours ago, Coconutman said:

I live in arizona.. nice try i talked to a friend there yesterday 73 during the day 43 at night.. just normal winter temps. Monsoon season was ealier and summer started later.. is the weather changing.. yes but it has since the begining of time.

Ah, well, so do I, at least part time and almost all of the past year.   Your friend is WAY off base:

We just had the hottest November ever. And 2017 could be the city's hottest year

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-weather/2017/12/01/phoenix-weather-hottest-november-ever/910586001/

Rainfall was minimal this year.  

13 hours ago, Credo said:

Ah, well, so do I, at least part time and almost all of the past year.   Your friend is WAY off base:

We just had the hottest November ever. And 2017 could be the city's hottest year

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-weather/2017/12/01/phoenix-weather-hottest-november-ever/910586001/

1995 the temp was 120 and in 1999 it was 122.

October temps

(Oct. 5-30) with high temperatures of at least 90 degrees was a record for that statistic. The previous mark was 25 consecutive days way back in 1952.

summers are shorter ive lived in az for 28 years the begining of april use to be the first 100 degree temps now it is may where we hit 100, monsoon season also started early.

When the Vikings landed on Greenland they called it that because it was green. Covered in trees. The last thousand of years or so has seen global cooling and the cycle is changing now.

Sure the earth is getting warmer, carbon dioxide levels have increased (but stabilised now from what I have read) which in turn has encouraged plant growth on a scale not seen in recent times, even taking into account the large scale clearing in the Amazon, which will absorb the CO2 and release O2 as part of the plants natural food processing cycle.

Whether this is due to man made causes or the natural 25,000 year cycle of the earth relative to the Sun is anyone's guess. And I think that's all we are doing - guessing based on some science based on a relatively short time period.

People quote the scientists in a way that they seem infallible.Well it wasn't so long ago scientists insisted the sun and the rest of the planets revolved around the Earth. They have been proven wrong obviously. The are some prominent scientists who don't agree climate change is purely a man made phenomenon and they have persuavie arguments to back this up.

Personally I'm not getting concerned about changes in climate - but the neo-religious ravings of the true believers does give me the sh!ts. In my view they are being manipulated by people far more clever than any scientist and not necessarily for a good long term outcome.

There are groups of people who see man as infestation on planet earth and would like to see the species removed.

17 hours ago, Credo said:

Like a lot of this sensational headline click bait trend these days, this article starts with a big bang, but by the time you get to the end, they've dialed it way back. 

But, it sells and attracts clicks and views.   Climate change zealots can point and chortle, "See!  It's real!  Says so right here, you stupid Trump voting red neck climate change global warming deniers!". 

My favorite Climate Change photo.  I do not believe that Canada should be the country paying carbon tax, when the countries like USA, Russia, China ME, or India do not charge their citizens anything.  Thanks PM dictator, and loyal

followers.

Geezer

phpPVnk40AM.jpg