4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Day 1: 48 deaths (42 last year)
Day 2: 51 deaths (71 last year)
Day 3: 78 deaths (86 last year) 
Day 4: 69 deaths (81 last year)
Day 5: 71 deaths (87 last year)
Day 6: xx deaths (59 last year)
Day 7: xx deaths (52 last year)

Total so far: 317 deaths, 3,188 injuries in 3,056 reported accidents.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2017/12/full-road-accident-statistics-for-new-year-2017-2018-in-thailand/

From

Half could of been averted by drivers showing a bit of courtesy and patience on the roads Very sad to see so many die

15 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I miss the good old days, when you could fall out of your jeep absolutely rata*s*d and the friendly copper would come over, laughing, and help you back into your seat :)

I had a friend who was in that condition riding a bike. Got stopped at a check point but was wearing a helmet etc. The cop told him to drive on but he was so drunk that the bike would have fallen over as soon as he took his foot off the ground. The cop gave him a push until his speed was enough to keep the bike upright.

So another point proven. The systems they have in place are not working so they need outside help.

These figures show that this this lawbreaking happens same same all year, so back to the drawing board.

Note to self; Never buy shares in any Company that sells car insurance

8 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Half could of been averted by drivers showing a bit of courtesy and patience on the roads

Probably more than half. I do not like to venture out on the holidays but had to drive 2 km to the family get together. The traffic was bumper to bumper both ways, stop/start with the maximum speed reached 20km/h. There were the usual undertakers forming a second lane on the shoulder and bike lane but what really got me was when a 100m break in the oncoming traffic appeared one goose overtook over double yellow lines on a bend to move forward 6 cars.

1 hour ago, Khun Paul said:

As I understand it at the moment the Insurance companies pay out as it is the car that is insured, however I think THAT  SHOULD CHANGE .if Thais were hit where it hurts in  POCKETS THEY START TO LEARN  fast

That won't work. It sounds like a good idea but if you think by having a huge fine it will stop, it won't. There will still be cases of 100000 fines for smoking on a beach. Look at some countries where the problem used to be bad like the UK, US and Australia. All these massively reduced drink driving by vilifying the drunk driver and altering the attitude of society towards the crime. In Thailand a driver who can down gallons and then drive is regarded as some kind of macho hero and terribly clever. If the drunks were to be regarded as stupid killers and were ostracised by family and friends, that would do the job as their loss of face would be too much.

the analyses of those numbers is as idiotic as the causes of the accidents.

many accidents are never reported, if a drunk falls of his motorcycle .....he will disappear before the police come ,because many have no license plate, no insurence,no driver license .........only badly hurt , who can not flee the scene come in the statistics.

All who die 1 hour later in the hospital/at home .....will not be in the statistics.........

So the real numbers are much higher , nobody now how much .

So best stop taking about numbers .

Talk about the causes.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Krissana passed on national police chief Jakthip Chaijinda's entreaty for the Thai public to follow the law and assured the nation of strict enforcement at 2,010 checkpoints nationwide.

Wonder how he kept a straight face? For that matter, wonder what the RTP is doing to keep their collective face intact, given nothing they say or threaten ever has the slightest impact?

As for Jakthip's entreaty. That says all there is to say. 

46 minutes ago, mrfill said:

That won't work. It sounds like a good idea but if you think by having a huge fine it will stop, it won't. There will still be cases of 100000 fines for smoking on a beach. Look at some countries where the problem used to be bad like the UK, US and Australia. All these massively reduced drink driving by vilifying the drunk driver and altering the attitude of society towards the crime. In Thailand a driver who can down gallons and then drive is regarded as some kind of macho hero and terribly clever. If the drunks were to be regarded as stupid killers and were ostracised by family and friends, that would do the job as their loss of face would be too much.

They reduced it by doing their jobs, and by imposing swingeing penalties.

No licence: 94,453 offences ....

Something is very wrong if this is a true statistic... how on earth do they manage to stay on the road & evade police...

ok...ok... rhetorical question. 
we all know they answer.. roadside "back pocket" fine... carry-on as usual!!

Lad from the village driving home from Korat got stopped at a checkpoint. Pissed as per normal. His wife who is also a driver was sat in the passenger seat. He was asked for 8000 baht. He remonstrated with the cop saying his wife was a government official ( true ) and that meant they were all in the same boat together. The fine was reduced to 4000 baht and they were allowed to continue their journey with the wife driving. Something isn't working.....

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i do not believe the average thai has respect for law and order as they see no value in doing so; beyond lack of law enforcement, this lack of respect goes the the heart of current thai society

In my village I am a curiosity because I have a driving license for a motor bike and a car, many think that that is overdoing it, OK a driving license for a car if you really think it's necessary but for a bike,why?

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No licence: 94,453 offences ....

Something is very wrong if this is a true statistic... how on earth do they manage to stay on the road & evade police...

ok...ok... rhetorical question. 
we all know they answer.. roadside "back pocket" fine... carry-on as usual!!

This is slowly changing,up to early last year you could go to the DMV and proced to get your DL.Later in May or so the waiting time was upi to 5 months over here.People are starting to realize having a DL saves money.If it helps driving savely is a whole other topic.

They should check cars bikes . lorries for road worthiness. tyres brakes and working lights as it seems to the fashion with bikes and some cars at night NO LIGHTS. i have even seen bikes and cars with RED headlights      

22 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

They should check cars bikes . lorries for road worthiness. tyres brakes and working lights as it seems to the fashion with bikes and some cars at night NO LIGHTS. i have even seen bikes and cars with RED headlights      

And clear talelight, so balances out.... 

Just spent 10 days in Japan. Witnessed quite a lot of drunk Japanese slumped over tables after a session or stumbling around stations. Did not see one incident of careless driving.

People in some countries respect law and society much more than in Thailand.

Tell a Thai this and they will say if you don't like it here, go home. That kind of attitude speaks volumes about society here. Few people here really care about the consequences of selfish actions. It seems the commonly quoted concept of "kreng jai" - or showing consideration for others - does not extend to killing people with a motor vehicle, which is not so bad, especially if you can pay enough money to the victims' families to sweeten the sorrow.

45 minutes ago, finnomick said:

Lad from the village driving home from Korat got stopped at a checkpoint. Pissed as per normal. His wife who is also a driver was sat in the passenger seat. He was asked for 8000 baht. He remonstrated with the cop saying his wife was a government official ( true ) and that meant they were all in the same boat together. The fine was reduced to 4000 baht and they were allowed to continue their journey with the wife driving. Something isn't working.....

My wife got stopped driving our motorbike in Buri Ram,she was with her teenage daughter riding pillion. loud exhaust (still haven't fixed it) and no driving license. "well give me 200 Baht and I will forget about it",  "I don't have any money with me",  "not even a hundred Baht",  "No", "Hmmm, OK, on your way and get that exhaust fixed"

1 hour ago, finnomick said:

Still a 4000 baht fine is quite a bit of money for people so I think it does send a message. Its not perfect yet but better than before. Now if they only did this regularly.

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

the analyses of those numbers is as idiotic as the causes of the accidents.

many accidents are never reported, if a drunk falls of his motorcycle .....he will disappear before the police come ,because many have no license plate, no insurence,no driver license .........only badly hurt , who can not flee the scene come in the statistics.

All who die 1 hour later in the hospital/at home .....will not be in the statistics.........

So the real numbers are much higher , nobody now how much .

So best stop taking about numbers .

Talk about the causes.

The statistics that are being given at the moment are updated everyday which include those that die in hospital BUT it will not continue after the 7 days, so if someone is injured on day 1 and the die after day 7 then their death will not be counted

There is 1 question that has not been asked.

How many of these drunk drivers, riders without a helmet, no licenses, unregistered vehicles were allowed to continue driving and riding after they were stopped?

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

There is 1 question that has not been asked.

How many of these drunk drivers, riders without a helmet, no licenses, unregistered vehicles were allowed to continue driving and riding after they were stopped?

No point in asking a question that nobody can answer with any certainty

My GUESS would be a fair to middling number of the reprobates 

10 hours ago, robblok said:

I know you hate the junta but stay reasonable.. far more logical that there were more checks. Your tale is funny to see how much you hate the junta to even bend these things this way. 

But its a good try though. 

Far more logical...

it’s just... well.... hard to believe.

amazing Thailand.