Attack on old man ends with teens prostrating in apology

webfact

Attack on old man ends with teens prostrating in apology

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GP8NbDMMRUCIH1FFXc.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A Thai drama that was played out on social media has ended in the traditional gesture of apology - the "graap".

A man was attacked in the countryside by two secondary school teens in a disagreement over rice straw.

But they dropped a mobile phone that led to two female good Samaritans then the son of the victim tracing the miscreants on Facebook.

Yesterday the victim - referred to only as "uncle" in the Thai Rath reports - was at a local police station when the mothers of the two teens brought them to prostrate themselves at his feet in apology.

The son Sitthisak Boonme had earlier appealed for help on Facebook as the story was viewed by more than two and a half million Thais.

Sitthisak had condemned the teens for their cowardly attack asking them how they would feel if it was their dad.

But yesterday Sitthisak and his dad accepted the apology and said it was over.

He thanked netizens for their concern about his father.

But many online asked would there have been an apology if they had not dropped their phone and been discovered.

Originally just the parents apologized on behalf of their boys but later pressure mounted for them to appear in person.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-04

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Appologies not accepted! Let the old man beat them up one by one with a 2x4 and 1 meter long piece of wood.

Surely someone can come up with a more severe punishment than that suggestion ?

Just remember, they are youngsters, so any suggestion that certain things should happen to them in a jail cell with a big black man, will be frowned upon 

What a pathetic situation, kick the s++t out of an old man, then just prostrate yourself in front of him and all is forgiven.

As usual police sit there and do nothing, shame on them, assault that is what it is and they should be punished in accordance with the law.

Thai males are cosseted from cradle to the grave by their doting mothers and grand-mothers.  Small wonder they grow up thinking the rules don't apply to them.  Abusing an old man is merely training for the day they get behind the wheel of a pick-up and hit the road.

Because I am forever reading about young creeps, and some older ones,  beating up old men,  I have gone back into martial arts training and also taken up Judo and Eskrima (Look it up on Youtube if you have never heard of it).  I will be fitter and safer when I am living in Thailand.  Not too sure about joining the local shooting club !!!

3 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Two young guys beat up an old bloke for rice straw.

Rice straw, <deleted>. And their mummy goes with them to say sorry.

Where are the men in this country? 

All about the ego and face. They felt entitled to beat him up. Only caught because the girls found their mobile. Then their mothers try and safe face by apologizing for them. Then the reluctantly and only after mounting pressure have to go in person.

The poor old boy looks like he ain't as prominent as the louts and their families. So he accepts the apology and all is quickly buried.

13 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Because I am forever reading about young creeps, and some older ones,  beating up old men,  I have gone back into martial arts training and also taken up Judo and Eskrima (Look it up on Youtube if you have never heard of it).  I will be fitter and safer when I am living in Thailand.  Not too sure about joining the local shooting club !!!

And the first time you try and use it you'll get your arse kicked by a gang of young Thais who might have been doing their own training, will probably be armed with swords, knives and maybe guns. And when the BiB find out you were trying to hit them with your rattan stick you'll be fined, possibly imprisoned and maybe deported.

As for guns - using one against someone would get you locked up and deported. 

Most foreigners, certainly the ones I know, rarely see any violence here. I feel considerably safer here than I did in several UK cities. 

Of course this age old Thai way will continue for years as the society thinks

that this is the tried and tested way.  It will continue until the adults and

politicians change their attitudes, and I do not see that happening.

Geezer

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And the first time you try and use it you'll get your arse kicked by a gang of young Thais who might have been doing their own training, will probably be armed with swords, knives and maybe guns. And when the BiB find out you were trying to hit them with your rattan stick you'll be fined, possibly imprisoned and maybe deported.

Most foreigners, certainly the ones I know, rarely see any violence here. I feel considerably safer here than I did in several UK cities. 

I agree with some of your comments, but if they know you are capable and not an easy target then you will probably be avoided.  Maybe you  should realize that there are many ways to stop getting into a fight. This is part of the training in several of the styles I have learnt.  Did I say that I was going to use weapons in a confrontation ?  many teachers say that Rule 1 is  "Run away"  The best solution. What they teach is Rule 2.

1 minute ago, jaiyen said:

I agree with some of your comments, but if they know you are capable and not an easy target then you will probably be avoided.  Maybe you  should realize that there are many ways to stop getting into a fight. This is part of the training in several of the styles I have learnt.  Did I say that I was going to use weapons in a confrontation ?  many teachers say that Rule 1 is  "Run away"  The best solution. What they teach is Rule 2.

Run away - try avoiding the confrontational circumstances in the first place. There will always be that, thankfully for most, very rare time when you might be in a situation that requires self defense. Then it helps of course if you're prepared. 

All good self defense, martial arts or combat instructors and trainers emphasize that avoiding conflict is desirable. 

You included Eskrima. Why learn how to hit people with sticks if you have no intention of using them? 

Bruce Lee said he didn't fear the man who learned 10,000 kicks but he did fear the man who practiced 1 kick 10,000 times. I write that as a constructive comment.. 

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

always give wai

4 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

...pissed in the jungle somewhere or shagging someone else's missus.

Little scumbags need mummy to go with them and coo over the situation...pathetic, as they see it as perfectly OK to attack old people. These two waste-of-spaces should be given community service at least of a hundred hours of street cleaning/garbage collection or something equally reality injecting. Maybe get them to plant the old guy's rice farm for him on his land this year and appreciate what life is often like for so many along with a 5 year jail sentence suspended for 20 years. 

Edited by Sir Dude

9 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

Its worse than just mummy going with them

mummy had to drag them down there to give a forced apology, probably to save “family face”, as by not willingly apologizing, I feel that the teens care little about it, and would still be laughing if they hadn’t been caught

now they have been caught, they won’t be punished... that’s a great message to spread around.

beating a senior citizen is a good start to a cowardly life... 

Well as the whole of life is now played out on facebook, how about the boys having their pictures posted there along with the prostrating photograph?  We know how much "face" matters to these idiots so a bit of peer ridicule may be appropriate.  Better still how about bringing back the stocks?  I am not joking.

Two young  <deleted> pickin on an old guuy over straw?

Am trying to understand but i know from 6 years in country ,i never will understand the Thai mind as a pal once told me,

"your not going to   a different country,your going to a different planet"

i have to say,i agree,but in ain't a bad one to be on. Many worse places.

I'm be more sympathetic if the ear lobes on the teens were stretched to the point they dragged on the ground, and they wouldn't be able to sit for weeks after Mom dragged them to the police station by the ear, kicking them in the bum all  the way.

That's what my Mom would have done......and it wouldn't have ended there.    Jail would have been a holiday, in comparison.

Actually these kind of incidents are rare in Thailand. The majority of Thais are still taught to respect their elders. There are always going to be some bad apples in the basket.

I am sure if the old guy insisted that the youths were to be arrested and charged with ABH, I am sure the police would had honoured his request filing criminal charges against them. But the man was willing to accept their apology so it was up to him, nothing to do with justice. This is how it`s done in Thailand, get used to it.