Garbage left behind as tourists return home after holidays

snoop1130

Garbage left behind as tourists return home after holidays

By The Nation

5c2fa6e9f46e2d971d6cb0ffc296ef6c.jpeg

Tourists left behind more garbage at New Year holiday destinations this year, report tourism operators.

Garbage behind in major tourist destinations as the tourists returned home after New Year long holidays.

Popular seaside retreats at Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Khan and Khao Lak in Phang Nga have reported that the amount of garbage left behind by visitors has increased sharply during this year’s festive holidays, causing environmental problems.

Hua Hin Municipality reported a 40 tonnes per day increase in the volume of garbage during the holiday period compared to the normal collection. Garbage reached a whopping 200 tonnes per day, up from the average 160 tonnes.

The permanent secretary of Hua Hin Municipality, Jirawat Phrammanee, said the local authorities were trying hard to keep the resort town clean, as Hua Hin is a main attraction for both domestic and international tourists.

Jirawat said the local authorities hired a private company to collect the garbage around the city three times per day, every day, to keep the city clean. Collected waste was buried at the landfill in nearby Pranburi District.

He said that the amount of garbage in Hua Hin was increasing every year, reflecting the increasing municipal population and the growth of tourism and business.

Visitors left a mess behind at another famous resort town, Khao Lak, the famous seaside resort town in Phang Nga, was reportedly left with rubbish strewn over the beach after tourists returned home from their New Year holidays.

At Bang Sak Beach, the normally beautiful white clean sands were debased by a mass of discarded empty bottles and plastic cutlery.

There was no report from Phang Nga on how the local authorities dealt with the problem.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335393

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-1-4

13 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

What seems to be the problem here? They want tourists, tourists bring stuff and leave garbage..........looks like it's in the right place.  In the bin not on the beach.

Yes, certainly I doubt any foreign tourist arrives with a suitcase full of trash to leave behind.

Local people may have it tumble out of the car doors as they arrive in Hua Hin!

It is the empty containers of consumables sold to them with a suitable profit margin that get left behind, often sold by Beach vendors who in reality are the ones who brought it there.

13 hours ago, Thian said:

Why don't they dare to say that Thai tourists did it? If there are bins around fallang will use them.

Don't turn this into a Thai/falang issue. Tourists, both domestic and international, create/leave rubbish. 

The authorities should be looking at ways of reducing the amount of waste e.g. vendors, shops, etc. handing out less plastic bags, plastic cuttlery, etc.

Street vendors using alternative means of packing the food for take away orders e.g. using banana leaves as packing material instead of styrofoam containers, etc.

Charge a deposit on all bottles sold at the store. The deposit can only be reclaimed when the bottle is brought back.

These, and a few similar ideas, could help to reduce the amount of things holiday makers throw away. 

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Don't turn this into a Thai/falang issue. Tourists, both domestic and international, create/leave rubbish. 

The authorities should be looking at ways of reducing the amount of waste e.g. vendors, shops, etc. handing out less plastic bags, plastic cuttlery, etc.

Street vendors using alternative means of packing the food for take away orders e.g. using banana leaves as packing material instead of styrofoam containers, etc.

Charge a deposit on all bottles sold at the store. The deposit can only be reclaimed when the bottle is brought back.

These, and a few similar ideas, could help to reduce the amount of things holiday makers throw away. 

Yes recycling and waste management is really easy, many countries do it, it’s neither rocket science nor witchcraft....and yes tourists seem to use the bins so why complain and report about that. The article should read : tourists use thrash bins and keep the beaches clean.

2 hours ago, djayz said:

Trash is a major issue almost everywhere in Thailand...modern disposal methods are non existent....

However, in Cha Am, (and likely many other areas) it is the Thai visitors that flock there every weekend and at holiday times, whilst foreign visitors are minimal.

2 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Trash is a major issue almost everywhere in Thailand...modern disposal methods are non existent....

However, in Cha Am, (and likely many other areas) it is the Thai visitors that flock there every weekend and at holiday times, whilst foreign visitors are minimal.

I still fail to see why it's a Thai vs. foreign tourist issue. 

More popular the tourist resorts especially over the holiday periods

= More tourists Thai/ Falang  more rubbish solution more rubbish bins 

collected emptied more often 

maybe the vendors selling on the beaches take some responsibility as well 

what has happened to the Falangs doing their daily cleaning up of the beaches 

as reported before maybe given up as a lost cause?

More likely that the Thai tourists created the mess. Absolutely disgusting the way they treat their own country. Look at any vacant lot. Full of garbage just dumped there.

Just like road safety, anti-littering campaigns need to be a year round public education campaign.

No point in any new laws as they won't be enforced, just used to extort money from foreign tourists.

Try littering in Canada and even small children around you will yell at you to pick it up. Respect where you live and stop being such a bunch of pigs.

18 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

What seems to be the problem here? They want tourists, tourists bring stuff and leave garbage..........looks like it's in the right place.  In the bin not on the beach.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet about 2 km from the Mae Wong national park.

I know that the tourists that go there put their trash in rubbish bins.

The problem that I have is that they use anybodys bins to do it. I have 2 bins outside, both were full to overflowing and there were more bags next to them with the contents scattered after the local dogs got into them. I had to wait until the trashmen arrived before I could follow them with my own, one bag of trash.

It is the same all along the street and everybodys bins get fill by tourists trash. They take their trash out of the park but they don't take it to their OWN homes to dispose of.

38 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Impressive that the bins were used. Well done.

But only until they were full, and then the rest was just dumped by the side of them, not only our bins but all the bins down the road.

Last year I actually caught a guy dumping his trash in our bin and he couldn't understand when I told him to take HIS trash to HIS home. He simply went 2 or 3 houses down and dumped it in their bin.

4 hours ago, djayz said:

I still fail to see why it's a Thai vs. foreign tourist issue. 

It’s not... not really... apart from perception.

thais don’t see themselves as tourists.... so complaining about tourists littering, will be seen by many as complaints about / against foreigners, who are deemed to be the “tourists” by locals.

Edited by farcanell

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Garbage reached a whopping 200 tonnes per day, up from the average 160 tonnes.

Plus 25% rise during the seven deadly days.... I bet the BiB wish they could say that about road fatalities.... but it’s amazing (thailand) that they don’t plan effectively for the upswing, given that they know it will happen

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that the amount of garbage in Hua Hin was increasing every year, reflecting the increasing municipal population and the growth of tourism and business.

Helloo.... are you there?.... increase municipal rubbish collection in line with increased municipal wealth...,sorry... population...

Oh dear.... I just made it a thai thing again... sorry djays ???

Stopped in the motorway service area a couple of days ago. Watched one guy, about 20 years old, come out of 7/11 with stuff in a plastic bag. As soon as he was out the door he took the stuff out of the plastic bag which he then just dropped on the ground. Unwrapped his pack of cigarettes and just dropped each part of the packet wrapping as well. He was 1 metre from a bin.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Stopped in the motorway service area a couple of days ago. Watched one guy, about 20 years old, come out of 7/11 with stuff in a plastic bag. As soon as he was out the door he took the stuff out of the plastic bag which he then just dropped on the ground. Unwrapped his pack of cigarettes and just dropped each part of the packet wrapping as well. He was 1 metre from a bin.

That is a very long way if you are a Thai.

I think that I would like to request that the writer/reporter of the original article actually defines what he/she means by the word "tourist" as it-in reality-means lazy Thai pollute everywhere including all over my front yard if they think that they can get away with it.

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

That is a very long way if you are a Thai.

I think that I would like to request that the writer/reporter of the original article actually defines what he/she means by the word "tourist" as it-in reality-means lazy Thai pollute everywhere including all over my front yard if they think that they can get away with it.

My anti-littering feelings started when I was 14. On the way walking to school one of the guys finished his bag of crisps and dropped the bag. A local cop came out of a doorway, grabbed the bag and him and walked him to the local cop shop where they telephoned his parents ( his mother was a teacher at the school. ) He had to appear in front of the local JP I think, can't remember exact details, and was fined a fiver that his parents had to pay.

The worst for him was having to stand in front of all at morning assembly and relate the whole thing.

Even since I like to think I have never dropped anything in the street except by accident.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

My anti-littering feelings started when I was 14. On the way walking to school one of the guys finished his bag of crisps and dropped the bag. A local cop came out of a doorway, grabbed the bag and him and walked him to the local cop shop where they telephoned his parents ( his mother was a teacher at the school. ) He had to appear in front of the local JP I think, can't remember exact details, and was fined a fiver that his parents had to pay.

The worst for him was having to stand in front of all at morning assembly and relate the whole thing.

Even since I like to think I have never dropped anything in the street except by accident.

Yup.

The last straw for me in Thailand was when my lazy self entitled daughter (only 22) pushed a whole plastic bag of KFC leftovers out her window on top of ol' grandma's and my motor scooters...in the knowledge that ol' grandma would later clean it up..

Instead what she and her psuedo hi-so low-so friends got was me charging in with the detritus and dumping it in front of them all-with "firkin pigs" thrown in for good measure..,

Oh the shock ..oh the loss of face....where are the Burmese servants when you need 'em?

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

The problem that I have is that they use anybodys bins to do it. I have 2 bins outside, both were full to overflowing and there were more bags next to them with the contents scattered after the local dogs got into them. I had to wait until the trashmen arrived before I could follow them with my own, one bag of trash.

It is the same all along the street and everybodys bins get fill by tourists trash. They take their trash out of the park but they don't take it to their OWN homes to dispose of.

I think we can all understand your frustration, but the National Parks encourage tourists to visit, charging them alI an entry fee. In Canada, National  and Provincial parks have garbage disposal and collection facilities that are paid for by entry fees where charged or by government subsidies.. Thailand needs to get its act together regarding garbage and its related problems and deal with them. they aren't suddenly going away.

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

We actually had to get rid of our blue bin because of similar circumstances. Wife of the neighbour just dropped all their crap next to it, never in it, and within 10 minutes it was all over the Soi because of dogs and the wind.

After I stuck in the back of the pick up and moved it further down the road outside we have no crap and no dogs in the short Soi we live in.

On 1/4/2018 at 6:10 AM, ratcatcher said:

Umm, it's pretty grim in some spots in Hua Hin. Cigarette butts are heavy in some places. Too bad they aren't fining the offenders.