Hey guys - don't you know these are the Thai roads!

webfact

Hey guys - don't you know these are the Thai roads!

1515051799019.jpg

Picture: Tnews

A video of a foreign couple sitting precariously in a "saleng" - Thai sidecar on a motorbike - wowed the internet yesterday.

Thais loved the romantic picture of the young westerners getting a lift from a Thai man traveling from Rawai in Phuket.

However, here at Thaivisa we would like to remind the couple that this is Thailand and these are the Thai roads.

This might not be the safest thing you do on your holiday.

Besides.... where, oh where are your seat belts!

Tnews satisfied themselves with the headline: "Because...this is Thailand".

Source: Tnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-05

24 minutes ago, webfact said:

wowed the internet yesterday

It´s amazing how easy people are "wowed" these days.
I guess it´s only to look at YouTube, to get more facts in that area. Be a Youtuber and make a perfect a55 out of yourself on the World Wide Web.
Thoose persons have an astonishing amout of brain dead followers with numbers like 100K-5M visitors per video. Outstanding to see what way the world and common sense is taking.

Yesterday, in Thalang, rd 4027, there was a bike with sidecar exactly like the one in the pic above.  There was a blond woman, western, sitting on a box with nothing to hold onto being driven around.  Looked so odd that I noticed.

These are the type of people that are "wowed" on the Internet by a dog barking in a strange way etc. What those two westerners don't realise is that that "saleng" was probably designed by uncle Somchai after a bottle of lao khao with a dash of beetle nut too, and then welded together the next morning by him in a pair of fake Ray-Bans and a blow torch. Safety first here...haha.

Edited by Sir Dude

23 hours ago, peperobi said:

Is not forbidden, this is a motorbike sidecar and not a pickup... 

Which actually illegal I think you will find. Just because they are on the road doesn't make it right.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

Yesterday, in Thalang, rd 4027, there was a bike with sidecar exactly like the one in the pic above

In the 70's, I used to travel to school sitting in an old tin bathtub, which was the passenger 'seat' on the sidecar of my mate's old British motorbike :) No crash helmet, no seat-belt, no embarrassment!

7 minutes ago, simon43 said:

In the 70's, I used to travel to school sitting in an old tin bathtub, which was the passenger 'seat' on the sidecar of my mate's old British motorbike :) No crash helmet, no seat-belt, no embarrassment!

Simon ... that was almost 50 years ago in the UK. I can't recall when crash helmets became law (and I drove a 500cc Triumph m/bike back then), I do remember when seat  belts came into law in the UK (I also had a Triumph TR3 car). No-one liked it, actively rejected belts at the time.. You can't compare with 2018 rules.

Edited by LivinginKata

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Which actually illegal I think you will find. Just because they are on the road doesn't make it right.

Many vehicles are not right here but are not forbidden to use it for peoples transportation.

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

My understanding is that motorbikes with sidecars attached are legal if registered that way from new. What is almost impossible to do is to get an existing motorbike reclassified, if adding a sidecar.

Correct so long as the modification is inspected and approved by the local DVLC and included in the registration book. Trouble is the almost nobody gets side car registered .... costs time and a little bit of registration money ... never mind.

Wow....someone is actually having fun!

Tut,tut,tut....many TVF posters have never known what fun is like so they can't comprehend that someone else should. They're not hurting anyone and I'm sure they are aware of the risk.

Go and have fun young people.

9 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Wow....someone is actually having fun!

Tut,tut,tut....many TVF posters have never known what fun is like so they can't comprehend that someone else should. They're not hurting anyone and I'm sure they are aware of the risk.

Go and have fun young people.

Check the video in the link.

Probably hard for you to comprehend from your northern rice paddy viewpoint, but these unhelmeted, begpackers are using one of the busiest, most dangerous intersections in Thailand for their fun(?).  The Chalong Circle.

If they end up under the wheels of a large vehicle, the driver of that vehicle will be hurt in many ways!

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Check the video in the link.

Probably hard for you to comprehend from your northern rice paddy viewpoint, but these unhelmeted, begpackers are using one of the busiest, most dangerous intersections in Thailand for their fun(?).  The Chalong Circle.

If they end up under the wheels of a large vehicle, the driver of that vehicle will be hurt in many ways!

As said...they know the risks.

I went back to Oz for Christmas. Watched my two grandkids (4 and 7) and their cousins (5 and 8) , three girls and one boy, racing around a makeshift track on my property on motorbikes and four wheelers. They could have easily hit a tree and done some serious damage to themselves........but they didn't...one did fall off but just got a few scrapes. They also climb trees. 

Their parents refuse to wrap them up in cotton wool and I wholeheartedly agree. Life is for living and if that involves taking risks that's OK by me.

I know a couple of my mates who have been killed on motorbikes - but I know many,many more who haven't been, are in their 60's now and still riding, as am I.

I also had a friend who died of a brain tumour 20 years ago when he was 44 years old. His time was up apparently.

Each to his own.

Edited by tryasimight

5 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I went back to Oz for Christmas. Watched my two grandkids (4 and 7) and their cousins (5 and 8) , three girls and one boy, racing around a makeshift track on my property on motorbikes and four wheelers. They could have easily hit a tree and done some serious damage to themselves........but they didn't...one did fall off but just got a few scrapes. They also climb trees. 

Their parents refuse to wrap them up in cotton wool and I wholeheartedly agree. Life is for living and if that involves taking risks that's OK by me.

I know a couple of my mates who have been killed on motorbikes - but I know many,many more who haven't been, are in their 60's now and still riding, as am I.

I also had a friend who died of a brain tumour 20 years ago when he was 44 years old. His time was up apparently.

Each to his own.

Nearly all of us Australians lived a life of adventure doing relatively risky things as kids.

But, would you let those grandkids get off the farm and sit in one of those home made sidecar contraptions and travel around Chalong Circle?

(I had a close friend, mid sixties, drop dead from a heart attack, just before xmas, after returning from a camping trip in the Goldfields. If it's relevant to this topic.)

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

Each to his own.

So your comparing the safety of a paddock on a farm at home to Chalong circle!

Just out of curiosity, did the grand  kids at home have helmets on?

Edited by beechbum

1 minute ago, beechbum said:

So your comparing the safety of a paddock on a farm at home to Chalong circle!

Just out of curiosity, did the grand  kids at home have helmets on?

Not comparing safety at all.....you have missed my point entirely. I was talking about acceptable risk, whci varies from one individual to another.

Yes they all had helmets on.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:36 PM, tryasimight said:

Each to his own.

So, children aged 4, 7, 5 and 8 can make informed decisions about the risk involved with their actions, and in regards to the own health and well being, or do they simply trust Mum, Dad, and Grandpa, that ALL WILL BE OK????

It must have been entertaining for you, watching your grandchildren, and their cousins, taking such risks, whilst having complete trust in you that they are safe.  And, of course, you could guarantee these highly experienced CHILDREN that they were safe.

There's a very fine line between "a few scrapes" and and fractured vertebrae of the neck. 

Whilst I am no fan of "wrapping in cotton wool" what risks will they take in the future, being bought up with such an attitude?  Eg. drugs, crime etc. 

Yes, life is for living, but we should try to live it for as long as possible, and there is nothing more tragic than the death of a child due to poor supervision, neglect, or abuse. 

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

So, children aged 4, 7, 5 and 8 can make informed decisions about the risk involved with their actions, and in regards to the own health and well being, or do they simply trust Mum, Dad, and Grandpa, that ALL WILL BE OK????

It must have been entertaining for you, watching your grandchildren, and their cousins, taking such risks, whilst having complete trust in you that they are safe.  And, of course, you could guarantee these highly experienced CHILDREN that they were safe.

There's a very fine line between "a few scrapes" and and fractured vertebrae of the neck. 

Whilst I am no fan of "wrapping in cotton wool" what risks will they take in the future, being bought up with such an attitude?  Eg. drugs, crime etc. 

Yes, life is for living, but we should try to live it for as long as possible, and there is nothing more tragic than the death of a child due to poor supervision, neglect, or abuse. 

I take extreme offence to your comments suggesting poor supervision,  neglect or abuse. 

Shame on you.    

I have no idea what risks they will take in the future.....I Am not clairvoyant. 

Of course I could not guarantee the CHILDREN  were perfectly safe...... Same as I doubt you could guarantee the same if any of your offspring would be perfectly safe riding a bicycle or playing football. God forbid they ever want to ride a horse or go pig hunting. 

I am sick and tired of the new age risk averse scaredy cats that seem to have infested the population since 9/11whose only mantra is safety... Safety... Safety. 

What happened to fun and the inherent risks involved? 

9 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

I take extreme offence to your comments suggesting poor supervision,  neglect or abuse. 

Shame on you.    

I have no idea what risks they will take in the future.....I Am not clairvoyant. 

Of course I could not guarantee the CHILDREN  were perfectly safe...... Same as I doubt you could guarantee the same if any of your offspring would be perfectly safe riding a bicycle or playing football. God forbid they ever want to ride a horse or go pig hunting. 

I am sick and tired of the new age risk averse scaredy cats that seem to have infested the population since 9/11whose only mantra is safety... Safety... Safety. 

What happened to fun and the inherent risks involved? 

Well said man. I'm amazed NKM ever leaves home because of all the risks involved! I think he might be an undercover Health & Safety official. :ph34r:....Little man in a big hat syndrome..

Edited by Chainsaw

I'll add a bit more to my previous comment.  We have/ had a local government owned pool,  paid for by rate/taxpayers. To gain access to the pool you had to pay a token amount for the key.

After 9/11 the insurance industry went nuts.  The council then decided (read forced)  into insisting that the pool could only be accessed if there was a qualified lifeguard present.  Haha..... Like we had plenty of them in a town of 400 people! 

Long story short.... Nobody had ever drowned in 30 years of pool use but pool now closed due to lack of use. 

Absolute bullshit in my opinion but makes the handwringing city slickers feel so much better.