VIDEO: Foreign tourists kicked off Phuket beach by hotel staff

Jonathan Fairfield

14 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Send the Thai Military in to clean this mess up.  Oh, that's right, they have been in control for 3 years already, yet, have achieved next to nothing on Phuket. 

No hope for improvement on Phuket.  What we have now on Phuket, will be what Phuket will always be.

IIRC the military cleared a number of buildings/businesses from beaches, during the first year in-power, which were reportedly occupying the land illegally ? So some progress at least. This may be a borderline case ?

Personally I steer well-clear of Phuket, have done for years, as we simply got tired of the constant scams.  Vote with your feet and your wallets ! :wink:

Edited by Ricardo

1 hour ago, Moochie said:

what is most likely a wedding

In our nice moobaan they also give weddingparties in the common parks, we are not allowed to walk the paths during a wedding.

They even rent huge coaches which are full of toilets and park them on the roads with running engines nonstop. Loads of BBQ's are parked everywhere but they even don't offer some food for the people who walk there every night and live here.

Then they make loads of weddingpics in the parks and we have to wait for that while walking our daily walks.

They park their cars all over the place, litter everything, make loads of noise, pee in the bushes.....we have to accept it all.

14 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Not sure if it works the same here as in Canada where I come from.

But the person who owns the beach front property owns the land to the high tide mark. So any one can use the beach from the water up to the high water mark but after that it is private land. So the hotel may have been well within their rights.

As I understand it, in Thailand the King owns the beaches and allows the public to enjoy

the use of them. These hotel employees making claims that the hotel owns the land may be falling

foul of Leste Majeste laws claiming to own the kings land. Punishable by up to 15 years in jail.

15 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Not sure if it works the same here as in Canada where I come from.

But the person who owns the beach front property owns the land to the high tide mark. So any one can use the beach from the water up to the high water mark but after that it is private land. So the hotel may have been well within their rights.

Thailand actually does this better than Canada. Beaches have stone property markers that look like milestones to define where the private land starts and where the public beach begins. Unfortunately these often get removed by the property owner.

In our native Canada, the high tides leave no definitive marker other than garbage and driftwood.

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

tell that to the thai officials who said they can mate

Who can they mate with?

As far as I am concerned, Thai officials can mate with themselves.

Edited by bino

I Don't like Phuket, I was in a Hotel at the end of Bangla road when the Tsunami hit. Despite reports to the contrary the staff ran away and left people including families with kids, We were evacuated and around 2pm. my mate flew back to Uk that night. When I went back to the hotel that had been waist deep in water alone the staff were back and did not ask about the welfare of my mate only that I pay his 500bt mini bar bill. have a guess what I said

Also, I booked 10 rooms in Patong beach resort for our team playing in Phuket 7s tournament. When I asked for Airport pick up they wanted the money in advance. I cancelled free of charge and rebooked  a hotel with airport pick ups

This all reminds me to sometime in the 80's somewhere on a Dutch beach. After having settled a German family showed up and told us to move, claiming the same spot and claiming that he dug the pit where we were a day earlier. My answer was (in German, now translated into English): "OK, you can lay down in your pit and I'll level it !" Never saw that German and his family any more that day...

Edited by PAIBKK

The uneducated, nonuniform security personnel telling the uniformed farang, what he has no idea of, and gets away with it, had it been me, who has a little education, would have set it straight, i.e. bring me the title deeds and show me on the map where it shows the hotel owns the land, that, or call the police to remove me, while I make a call to the media, to name the hotel that allegedly owns the beachfront land, and we will find out one way or another, won't me chum, put your hand on me and I will sue you and the hotel, simple really.

No doubt I would have been set upon by half a dozen taxi drivers coming out of the blue 10 minutes later when I wasn't looking 555

16 hours ago, tolsti said:

The Crown owns the beaches,  However hotels etc may own or rent the access to the beach if it passes through their '' property''  If you can access the beach without trespassing on their property then you're fine. 

Edited by cookieqw

Quite easy.  The hotel need to show the land registration showing the area that it owns.  If it includes the beach area then they are within their rights.  If not they are not and it is a public accessed beach.  I think we all know the answer.  There are literally thousands on beachside properties that do not have proper land registry.  T.I.T 

23 hours ago, tolsti said:

The Crown owns the beaches,  However hotels etc may own or rent the access to the beach if it passes through their '' property''  If you can access the beach without trespassing on their property then you're fine. 

Wrong. The Crown owns only the land from the sea up to the high-tide mark on the beach.

What we think of as "the beach" is typically owned by local municipal governments, but not always. In some places, the beach (inland, down to the high-tide mark) is privately owned. Title deeds would need to be examined to see who actually owns a particular stretch of beach.

9 hours ago, PAIBKK said:

This all reminds me to sometime in the 80's somewhere on a Dutch beach. After having settled a German family showed up and told us to move, claiming the same spot and claiming that he dug the pit where we were a day earlier. My answer was (in German, now translated into English): "OK, you can lay down in your pit and I'll level it !" Never saw that German and his family any more that day...

First time my brother flew Mum and Dad on holiday at the hotel my Dad watched the people go and put their towels on the sun beds and then go for breakfast. On the third day while they were having breakfast he went out and threw all the towels in the pool.

No-one argued with him.

??