Extradition of Yingluck not easy: PM Prayut

webfact

23 minutes ago, candide said:

Technically, you are right. However, UK has an embassy in Thailand which is quite able to decrypt the various events that happened during this period of time.

I personally doubt the UK embassy could decrypt a 3 numbered bicycle combination lock, however I admire your optimism.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mattd said:

Lets face it, if all 'democratic' countries were to lock up all politicians that were found to be negligent on policies, then all of the prisons would certainly be full of them!

There is absolutely no way that the UK will extradite any elected politician, especially an ex. PM, that was ousted by the very same military junta that request it, that will be seen as political persecution.

The UK would be well within their rights to question the General on why they are so eager to extradite Yingluck, whilst not as keen to locate and extradite the energy drink Grandson, priorities seem a bit wrong.

In reality they do not want her back here, in fact it is the last thing they want, the lies they spin have to get bigger each and every time they get caught out, I bet they despise social media, it keeps on biting them daily!

No chance and this regime is brain fried without the need for drugs. 

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

Can you believe that this line is still trotted out as though it had some great significance? The suggestion is of course is that the military played no role in overthrowing an elected civilian government.MIndless nonsense of course but some can't help repeating it - rather like "a dog returning to its own vomit" - as Rudyard Kipling once put it

Nonsense. It has nothing to do in trying to change the fact that an elected civilian government, both of which were overthrown whilst in caretaker mode.

It simply makes the point that neither of these two individuals were in an elected office at the time. And that is something that the international community also knows. 

But we know that your reality is sadly diminished. 

1 hour ago, candide said:

Technically, you are right. However, UK has an embassy in Thailand which is quite able to decrypt the various events that happened during this period of time.

"Technically right" - 5555 :cheesy::clap2:

You mean that's what actually happened and he's 100% right.

11 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Actually...they are not putting any effort into it at all.

39 wild and whimsical topics on TVF does not constitute "effort" in my book.

If all the smug talking heads were replaced by cardboard cutouts would you,instinctively, be able to spot  the difference?

The  cutouts would get more  done, be  more intelligent and easily gotten rid  of, almost  perfect then!

3 hours ago, JAG said:

It did, it actually occurred whilst an entirely constitutional election was underway, which would have allowed the Thai people to decide if they wanted to return her to office or replace her. A coup which was arguably a more egregious act than instigating her removal in the first place. Something that will not be overlooked when/should asylum or extradition be considered.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's true. An election could have been held and people could have decided. PTP, their much vaunted and rumored very expensive CAPO and the RTP should have enforced the law, kept the peace and ensure it took place. 

She never really defended her innocence of the abuse of power incident. Hard to really, given the facts. Just like she never really defended the actual negligence charges in the rice scheme; again difficult given the facts. 

However, if she is in the UK and they do apply for extradition the request is likely to fall down at the first hurdle. So they won't bother hearing the case.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

Well, problem solved?

Well then, they would have to contend with mass demonstrations, convoys of pick ups converging on the prison in which she is held, the army having to be deployed on a scale which would mean not just using the "reliable" units which they keep in Bangkok, but also the ramshackle conscript formations, who would probably break up and go home when any pressure was applied (like "At your Mum, Dad and cousins 50 metres to your front, 5 rounds rapid, in your own time, go on!")

Then of course the reaction from the country from which they lifted her, targeted sanctions against the people behind the regime (not difficult to work out who to put the squeeze on), a sharp drop in international tourists - if you think martial law makes it hard to get travel insurance wait until your destination is the target for international sanctions.

The immediate "problem" may be solved but oh dear, a very large can of worms...

"convoys of pick ups" - what to bring all 300? 555!

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

That's true. An election could have been held and people could have decided. PTP, their much vaunted and rumored very expensive CAPO and the RTP should have enforced the law, kept the peace and ensure it took place. 

I think he was talking about the elections that were planned for July 2014.  The ones that the coup prevented to happen. At the time of the coup, Suthep's mobs were spreading thin so there was not much trouble expected. It was quite lucky as the judiciary had forbidden the government to restrain protesters anyway. :smile:

Just now, candide said:

I think he was talking about the elections that were planned for July 2014.  The ones that the coup prevented to happen. At the time of the coup, Suthep's mobs were spreading thin so there was not much trouble expected. It was quite lucky as the judiciary had forbidden the government to restrain protesters anyway. :smile:

I was here too then. There was still blockading at some election places and intimidation - on all sides. 

The police, as in 2010, simply didn't perform. Anonymous. 

6 minutes ago, candide said:

Actually the army had told the police not to intervene, that after Prayut had promised to protect the elections.

50 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Nonsense. It has nothing to do in trying to change the fact that an elected civilian government, both of which were overthrown whilst in caretaker mode.

It simply makes the point that neither of these two individuals were in an elected office at the time. And that is something that the international community also knows. 

But we know that your reality is sadly diminished. 

When in a hole my advice is not to dig yourself in further.Also please don't be dishonest:the international community knows the role of the military in overthrowing elected governments.Take a look at international press reports from any respected source at the time.But I forgot - people like you never do research.

I have no objection to defenders of military intervention making the case for such action.I am well aware of the arguments in favour.But to pretend these interventions didn't happen, as you do, borders on lunacy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/sep/19/thailand

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/23/yingluck-shinawatra-detained-thailand-coup-military

No country is going to hand any political refugee back to any military Junta run country who control the government and courts, better just forget about her and move on for the next elections, prior to another military coup.

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The reason that the government do not request the extradition of Yingluck (or Thaksin) is that they were democratically leaders of |Thailand who were supplanted by the military via coup. Were the Junta to request extradition, it would be turned down officially because both would claim that they were put on trial by the military who supplanted them in a coup. 

Yingluck couldn't do that because she was not supplanted by a military coup.

10 hours ago, James HKT said:

The UK government will probably take the view that Yingluck was a democratically elected leader who was ousted in a military coup and any request for ex-tradition by those same unelected military leaders would be refused to protect the principal of democracy. 

If that were true it would be a possibility but it isn't; Yingluck was not ousted by a military coup.

10 hours ago, Andybristol20032003 said:

Wish they would leave her alone and go after the influential drinks manufacturer guy who murdered someone,  but is allowed to get away with it 

Vorayuth, if that's who you're referring, to did not murder anyone and has not been charged with murder.

10 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

From the existing extradition treaty between the UK and Thailand, which some soi disant "experts" have claimed does not exist:

ARTICLE 5

A fugitive criminal shall not be surrendered if the offence in respect of which his surrender is demanded is deemed by the Party on whom the demand is made to be one of a political character or if he prove that the requisition for his surrender has in fact been made with a view to try or punish him for an offence of a political character.

And:
"...the verdict of the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders."

Any questions? How could a conviction by a "...Criminal Division for Political Office Holders." be considered as anything but "...of a political character"?

You're not a lawyer, are you?

9 hours ago, Mattd said:

There is absolutely no way that the UK will extradite any elected politician, especially an ex. PM, that was ousted by the very same military junta that request it,.

That did not happen in the case of Yingluck.  Why do posters keep saying this?

4 hours ago, candide said:

He is not only right technically, he is absolutely right, without qualification.

37 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That did not happen in the case of Yingluck.  Why do posters keep saying this?

For the same reason other posters say both her and her brother are on the run when in fact nobody is chasing them? Just a guess...

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He is not only right technically, he is absolutely right, without qualification.

Technically because no PM has ever been ousted by a court for transferring someone not according to "moral principles". A court that previously also supported the the protest movement by forbidding the caretaker government to restrain protesters in the name of freedom of expression.(Knowing this does not prevent some posters to claim that the police did not do its job...)

This well explained, for example, in this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/world/asia/court-orders-thai-leader-removed-from-office.html

On 1/10/2018 at 4:17 AM, webfact said:

Extradition of Yingluck not easy: PM

Well Mr. PM, you shouldn't have let her get away then. It's a self inflicted wound.

Best of luck though, I think she and her brother both deserve to rot in a Thai jail.

23 minutes ago, steven100 said:
Image result for pics of yingluck wanted

Thank you Steven100!!!

At last you have seen the 'light' and, yes, Thais want Yingluck their first female PM.  They voted for her and would again if given the chance.

I really appreciate your honesty, integrity and open-mind to come back to us and admit that Yingluck is WANTED.

I'll even give you a 'Thanks'  +1   (now I never thought that would happen my dear friend - can I call you 'friend' now you are with the majority?)

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Well Mr. PM, you shouldn't have let her get away then. It's a self inflicted wound.

Best of luck though, I think she and her brother both deserve to rot in a Thai jail.

You yourself deserve Bangkok Hilton, 30 years

Archived