PM orders check of high food and drink prices at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports

webfact

So the news flash is that airports charge more than the streets? Wow that's been going on forever. Look at the real criminal the price of rent at Airports. Shops are expensive in a building likely very heavily subsidised by the government. Then follow the money trail to where it's being spent or in the extreme case who's pocket its filling. Nuff said but that's a realistic look into things to thump ones chest and bark loudly will distract the masses and make one look amazing 

Many things are a rip-off. I stayed at a chain hotel in Phuket in October and they were charging 2,500 Baht for a steak. Even my brother-in-law from London (Banker) thought it was a rip-off. Sure, it's the same price as the UK, BUT in the UK the staff are paid way more that 8 pounds a day :post-4641-1156693976:

Always been a gripe of mine, the quality and price of the food is terrible.

It must be bad as I always seem drawn to Burger King when air side (and I very rarely eat a burger)  Problem is that most airline food is no better (business/first class flights exception)

We must have eaten in every restaurant in Swampy but not one stands out as been good.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

PM orders check of high food and drink prices at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports

I count at least a dozen PM words that appear to make sense . . . he must have had the dummy on duty again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

It's a standard practice that airports are 50-100% more expensive then outside but the shop rental is higher also hence the prices charged.

But at least someone is aware and checking it out ....  good job  !

Oh-oh, he's up . . . watch your drinks, chaps, at least until boreding time.

Almost every airport in the world has overpriced so so food. The Magic Mart and Family Marts good suggestions. Here's another one: eat before you go to airport. Maybe that 2 hr early checkin is not due to fear of terrorists but conspiracy of restaurants and airport managers world wide!!! I was amazed when going thru my home town airport (Portland, Oregon) and food franchises prices were same as off the reservation. Haven't been there for some time, probably fixed that by now.

• Like 1

We all know the high prices and we all know about the monopoly. So no idea why he needs to investigate the known issues. Save time go and fix the problem!!. Swampy lacks free cold water dispensers, last trip out I bought a bottle from King Power ( yes should be 10 baht they charge 30 baht), I expected the rip off, but then they must have the boarding pass to record the sale. Brought back to mind John McEnroe's famous saying " are you <deleted> serious" boarding pass for a bottle of water!

35 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Just go straight to the gate and sit there until boarding, boycott the stupid King Power and the other rubbish. 

That's two of us. Rip-off pricing aside, there is nowt I am interested in buying anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

We all know the high prices and we all know about the monopoly. So no idea why he needs to investigate the known issues. Save time go and fix the problem!!. Swampy lacks free cold water dispensers, last trip out I bought a bottle from King Power ( yes should be 10 baht they charge 30 baht), I expected the rip off, but then they must have the boarding pass to record the sale. Brought back to mind John McEnroe's famous saying " are you <deleted> serious" boarding pass for a bottle of water!

They do have water dispensers. Go to the khazis away from the retail areas.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ostyan said:

Don Muang? Check Air Asia. One bottle of small water costs you 40 Baht.

Their luggage policy is an open robbery.

I do like an Air Asia Nasi Lamak similar to the real thing

Why do people even need to eat at the airport ? Unless you have a long stop over it not neccessary.  Eat before going to the airport and you will be eating again on the plane within 4 hours max.  Easy to buy a snack at 7-11 or some fruit to take to airport before leaving hotel if you really cant go a few hours without food. Too many people want to get on a plane full up !  Are they scared they will go hungry ? No wonder there are so many fatties in the world !

• Like 2

Hope he looks at the International franchise food restaurants that load their already high Sukhumvit prices even further. 

Of course as others have pointed out that terrible King Power outfit are also contributing to this situation.