Airport Food Too Pricey? Don’t Eat There: Tourism Minister

webfact

Airport Food Too Pricey? Don’t Eat There: Tourism Minister

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

WEERASAK.jpg  

Weerasak Kowsurat, tourism and sports minister, has advice on sufficiency eating. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — The new top tourism official had some straight talk for anyone unhappy about airport food prices: Don’t eat at the airport.

Weerasak Kowsurat, tourism and sports minister, said Wednesday evening that people should fill their stomach before heading to the airport so they don’t have to deal with expensive food and drinks.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2018/01/11/airport-food-pricey-dont-eat-tourism-minister/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-01-11

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A minister who says something sensible, how refreshing ! He clearly won't last long ! :smile:

Vote with your wallet, avoid airport rip-offs, Duty-Free too.

Spend your time doing a marathon, along those endless corridors, searching for your gate !  It's healthier !

Clearly I'm not a quality-tourist, then again up-to-you, as we locals/guests like to say. :cool:

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

The new top tourism official had some straight talk for anyone unhappy about airport food prices: Don’t eat at the airport.

Trite and completely oblivious to the issue.

These tourism ministers are all alike.

It also comes down to how much rent the airport is charging the restaurants there...my guess is that it is pretty high compared to outside venues. Somebody is raking it in......and likely a connection to those who manage the airport...hmm....who might that be ?

Sounds like k.Weerasak might be launching his comment across the bow of the "PM". Nicely done. The fact that k.Prayut even considered dedicating resources to checking whether or not the prices might be too high shows a failure to understand the most rudimentary economics. Step off!

BTW, 40 baht is not exorbitant for a bottle of water relative to any other airport in the world. That's basically a buck. For a bottle of water. Not exactly price gouging.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

that people should fill their stomach before heading to the airport so they don’t have to deal with expensive food and drinks.

what a stupid a hole;

try arriving after sleeping on a 10 hour flight and then wading thru immigration here, that a guy with his attitude will surely mess up and then be confronted with these gouging prices on an empty stomach;

this guy represents the best in leadership that thailand can come up with ?

Just don't wrap your sandwiches in tin foil and of course you won't be allowed a bottle of water.

Does the tourism minister know you cannot take bottles of water through security?

And eating before going to the airport, silly man, doesn't he know they want you there 3 hours before your flight and Thais have to eat every hour!

Edited by jacko45k

16 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Wise words.

Airport food, whether in Thailand or anywhere in the world is always ridiculous more expensive than what you would pay on the street. 

Not true, and at Mac Donalds it is same price in Holland as on airport.

I understand that airports pay higher rent but they get many more customers as well so the price can stay the same.

In hot countries like Thailand the water should be free and Don Muang needs new smokingrooms since they are utterly crap..never seen such dirty doghouses on any airport.

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Just don't wrap your sandwiches in tin foil and of course you won't be allowed a bottle of water.

Does the tourism minister know you cannot take bottles of water through security?

And eating before going to the airport, silly man, doesn't he know they want you there 3 hours before your flight and Thais have to eat every hour!

The Tourism Minister  is clearly embarrassed by what the Japanese media has exposed:giggle:

And for the Japanese to think Thailand airport food vendors are ripping people off (in a country where food and drink prices are really exorbitant) then it must be bad

Govt to inspect overpriced water at Bangkok airports after slammed by Japanese media

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/govt-inspect-overpriced-water-bangkok-airports-slammed-japanese-media/

Edited by midas

3 minutes ago, midas said:

And for the Japanese to think Thailand airport food vendors are ripping people off (in a country where food and drink prices are really exorbitant) then it must be bad

Food in Japan is not very expensive, it just depends of where you are eating....it's not more expensive than Amsterdam to eat in Tokyo...

43 minutes ago, Thian said:

I understand that airports pay higher rent but they get many more customers as well so the price can stay the same.

In hot countries like Thailand the water should be free and Don Muang needs new smokingrooms since they are utterly crap..never seen such dirty doghouses on any airport.

writing year 2018, countries should general deny public smoking and drinking. If you want kill yourself, jump from a condo

this doesn't affect our healthcare system or 3rd parties from your passive smoking.   

The most dangerous drugs 

1.) Cocaine

2.) Heroine

3.) Crystal-Meth

4.) Alcohol 

5.) Tobacco

[...]

https://www.planetdeadly.com/human/10-dangerous-drugs/2

19 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

Yes, as a good quality tourist you should just drop your money off at immigration and catch the next flight out!:smile:

better, some here do it in that way, they even do not enter the kingdom, they sent their money directly into the iShan for no reason. For good luck. 

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Oh yes. Very pretty smoking areas should be implemented right away lol! Even alcoholics and cocaine abusers can go many days without their drug why can't smokers? I wonder why? 

Edited by alex8912

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Oh yes. Very pretty smoking areas should be implemented right away lol! Even alcoholics and cocaine abusers can go many days without their drug why can't smokers? I wonder why? 

Cos I don't want too.....:stoner:

But I am the same with vinegar, can't be without my Sarsons....:smile: