Traffic police fined me illegally

yengec

Hi to all,

Few hours ago I stopped at the intersection between Second road and Pattaya Tai road. 50meters behind the red lights I stopped my bike at the left end of the road. I pushed down the parking leg of the bike and opened the 2 way signals to indicate myself that Im waiting for a short time. After 1 minute its became hot and I took off my helmet and put it on the bike. Right after a police came from across the road and he wanted my license and to come across the road. And then I moved there, the police fined me and I though its because of the illegal parking or stop. After I picked up my gf she checked the ticket at home and she said its because of the helmet. She also became angry when I told her the situation and then we went to Pattaya police station on beach road. They gave us a phone number and we are directed to go to that police who fined me a ticket. At this time my gf start discussion with them and the police was basically lying. Briefly, they told me I was riding without helmet and I insist that I was on a temporarily parking. When I got that the discussion was going to nowhere, I suggest them to check the traffic cameras above the red lights. Since there are many cameras Im sure most of them recorded me. They told us we should go to Pattaya City government building where Thais renew their ID(ı dont remember that buildings name). 

Has any of you faced an issue look like this? I mean I am not wrong but they blame me based on their lie. And you guys think I can get anything by complaining about this issue?

according to rules i can take off my helmet if im not driving it. we asked it to other polices also the guy who fined me says i can take off my helmet if i stop or parked the bike. the discussion is about they say i was riding the bike which is not true. also i was not on the road, just parked outside the main road.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

What bike has 4 way flashers ? Not sure that video evidence would help as it would show sitting on a bike on a road with no helmet on.

Honda pcx has that flasher. on the camera it will be seen that the bike is not straight and the parking leg is on also im not sitting on it look like driving. i just sit on look like a chair, my feets crossed etc.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, yengec said:

according to rules i can take off my helmet if im not driving it. we asked it to other polices also the guy who fined me says i can take off my helmet if i stop or parked the bike. the discussion is about they say i was riding the bike which is not true. also i was not on the road, just parked outside the main road.

Were you in the road with your helmet off?  If the answer is yes then you need a helmet on.  You may be stopped, but the truck that hits you won't.  Can't even imagine thai law is is as you state.

• Like 2

If the rule looks like what all polices and people say, I will be right. Now Im heading to city hall to check the camera record(ıf i can) and then I will inform you about the situation. For people who says just pay the fine and go etc.. I know its not a big money but Im not a daily tourist here. I have a time to protect my rights. If we accept everything what others make to us, then whats the point of living? Also dont forget that even in this country this level of corruption(if ım right and the police wrong according to rules) cannot be done. Because everywhere have camera and they use technology a lot. Before when ım not sure about my fault about illegal u turn etc, when I complain to the officer, they showed my video within few minutes. In my opinion this time Im right and they dont want to show me the video at that time. They directed us to the city hall the day after and they think we will not go after it. But ım going now let see :)

2 hours ago, yengec said:

Was the engine running?

23 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Just write it off to experience, not worth getting hot and bothered about. The rule though is NEVER give them any excuse to stop/fine you.

Correct. Even though the cops will allow every Thai rider not wearing a helmet to pass by, they will almost always stop a farang without.

In Pattaya I've seen the check point that only stops non Thais to check papers. They do a roaring business in fines.

• Like 2

i just visited the city hall and we are directed to ccr room where they all have screens and people watchingthe streets. a guy helped us but when we said the point he said that camera is not working. maybe he lied or not i dont know. He also told us to make a complain report to the police station about this(which i dont want to do, u cant complain one ... to another ...).if i didnt take off the helmet maybe they would fined me because illegal stop/parking. its just an experience, not hurt my pocket a lot and we see the situation. i have been living in pattaya more than 1 year and i stopped many times also pid fines because of illegal turns, passes on red lights etc. Even im wrong sometimes the police excuse me and let me pss by warning. There are good and smiley officers too but bad guy stays bad..

OP, is all this time an effort really worth it for the ~$15 fine you have to pay? I understand you feel you were wronged, but it's the kind of the thing you have to expect living in a country like Thailand. If you want to live in a country that has a greater respect for the laws I'd suggest moving back your home country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RustyShackleford said:

OP, is all this time an effort really worth it for the ~$15 fine you have to pay? I understand you feel you were wronged, but it's the kind of the thing you have to expect living in a country like Thailand. If you want to live in a country that has a greater respect for the laws I'd suggest moving back your home country.

yeahh if we consider by money, of corse its not worth. i just dont like the feeling being lied. i think its time to go back my country for a while and come back later again ;)

btw lets say you have 2 or 3 tickets which costs around 1000baht. if you dont pay them and go to the land office to make a new license(costs around 400baht) by telling them i lost it or nothing. is that possible?

8 minutes ago, yengec said:

yeahh if we consider by money, of corse its not worth. i just dont like the feeling being lied. i think its time to go back my country for a while and come back later again ;)

btw lets say you have 2 or 3 tickets which costs around 1000baht. if you dont pay them and go to the land office to make a new license(costs around 400baht) by telling them i lost it or nothing. is that possible?

Let it go, get on with your life, you are getting yourself worked up, what for?

You will not win, simple little things like this make me howl with laughter, some of us have lost millions of baht because of corrupt police, yet you rabbit on and on about nothing, you were wrong accept it and move on.

7 hours ago, 1BADDAT said:

Sounds like you did some things strange things to get your self noticed.  If you were parking legally, then you should have not had your flashers on.  Ig you were parked and off your bike then you could have taken your helmet off. //

I agree. On the bike with lights on is no parking.

Just pay and learn :wink:

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I agree. On the bike with lights on is no parking.

Just pay and learn :wink:

engine is off and parking leg is down? parked car can open the lights, i dont see any crime in it. also ots not called as prking, just temporarily stop beside the road.

9 minutes ago, yengec said:

engine is off and parking leg is down? parked car can open the lights, i dont see any crime in it. also ots not called as prking, just temporarily stop beside the road.

You are obviously not stupid.  4 way flashers are for emergency.  What exactlty was your emergency?  Head got hot and needed to wait out the light?  Everyone else waits it out and endures the pain.  Do the same or pay the fine.  Or try and fight it...wait many many more lights and fail anyway.

• Like 1

' Even im wrong sometimes the police excuse me and let me pss by warning. There are good and smiley officers too but bad guy stays bad..'

....Hi you admit here sometimes you have been let off when you could/should have been fined perhaps . In essence you win some you lose some . In this case 400 baht . Many here have losts millions on a Thai wife/ Condo deposit never completed/ a business.  Interesting to hear of your issue but as everyone has said already just let it go .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Remember you are in Thailand, rock the boat, make waves, upset the wrongs ones, and you will have problems.

Nonsense.

Another one walking around with their tail between their legs.

If he carries out his actions calmly and politely, he will gain respect.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Let it go, get on with your life, you are getting yourself worked up, what for?

You will not win, simple little things like this make me howl with laughter, some of us have lost millions of baht because of corrupt police, yet you rabbit on and on about nothing, you were wrong accept it and move on.

Twice I been fined and both times I challenged it. 

Once on Sukhumvit for I don't remember what. Got that reduced from 400 to 200. They would have gotten nothing, but they had my girlfriend's licence.

Another time for not having my licence on me. But I did. The idiot asked to see my licence, not my IDP.

Before you suggest that a Thai policeman would know to ask for IDP, it was one of those leech foreign helpers who initially asked and when I showed him the licence for which he asked to see, called a policeman over who proceeded to write a ticket.

When I got to the station and found out it was for 'no licence', I went straight to a senior officer, explained that I had a licence. But if the idiot wanted to see an IDP he should have asked for it.

Fine was waived on the spot. But accepted a 100 baht fine for not having some yellow paper. Actually have no idea what, but it was a friend's bike, so didn't want to stir up a fuss.

So if the OP thinks he is in the right and wants to take the time to prove it, it's his prerogative. 

Not everyone accepts the bending over... Some people just say no. Politely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1