Over 1 million Thai children suffer from ADHD

webfact

Over 1 million Thai children suffer from ADHD

By Thai PBS

129FAA82-AF3C-4CC4-A724-3282B341CAF5.jpe

Over one million of Thai children aged 6-12 are suffering from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and over half of them will eventually have mental health problem, said Dr Boonruang Trairuangvorawat, director-general of Mental Health Department, on Monday.

About 12 percent of Thai boys are inflicted with ADHD compared to the world’s average 10 percent and most ADHD cases were detected before the children turned seven years of age, he said, adding that if the children were not treated at an early age, the disorder would affect their development and live with them until they grow up to become adults with such behaviors as anti-social, prone to violence or being depressed.

He explained that ADHD stemmed from disorder of the brain functioning which was manifested in three major behaviors: inattentiveness, impulsiveness and hyperactivity.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/1-million-thai-children-suffer-adhd/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-16

What can one make of this?

Where did they get the data from?

From what I observed in the villages children where left to roam free,had little parental supervision or discipline and were often inbred.

At a very early age either a cheap phone or tablet was thrust into their hands as a means of distraction-but not of education-as their parents (if they had them) sat around boozing and partying all day.

Thai food is loaded with salt,sugar and MSG and Thai junk food is even worse.The kids were either torpid or totally revved up and their attention span was minimal.Never mind the fact  that between the ages of 10 to 13 they were all racing around on motor scooters anyway again without any form of parental supervision whatsoever.

Just because one's Thai offspring are totally out of control does not necessarily indicate that they have ADHD.

And,yes,I do have experience in this field.

Edited by Odysseus123

It has been shown again and again ADHD is helped and in many cases cured if you just let the kids run around like they are SUPPOSED to. The last school I worked at forbade the students to get up from their desks, and during recess and lunch were required to sit quietly in an orderly fashion and eat their snacks/meals.  These were 7 and 8 year olds. They are HUMANS, not automatons.

This is not just a problem for Thailand its everywhere.Parents spending less time with their children. Consumerism and the rush to buy the latest gadgets, clothes, cars or mortgages to buy a house they cannot afford forcing them into debt and 2 parents working to pay the debts for more and more needless accessories. The rat race in other words. So the kids are left with minimal time with their parents compensated with the gadgets they desire

Then there are people who just are not natural parents, selfish basically

Kids need parents time and not money or gadgets. We didn't have much money when I was a kid. I had 1 brother 2 sisters we had a happy childhood.The old man used to take us to the park to have a kick around or french cricket in the summer then he used to take us to West Ham every Saturday. The old lady used to help us make Potato animals with matchsticks for legs all sort of games and making paper chains at Christmas.Always dinner at the table no watching TV with dinner on your lap unless you wanted a slap around the head with the old mans rolled up Daily Mirror

Moral of the story give your kids your time they'll remember it when they older rather an obsolete I phone

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

From what I observed in the villages children where left to roam free,had little parental supervision or discipline and were often inbred.

At a very early age either a cheap phone or tablet was thrust into their hands as a means of distraction-but not of education-as their parents (if they had them) sat around boozing and partying all day.

Thai food is loaded with salt,sugar and MSG and Thai junk food is even worse.The kids were either torpid or totally revved up and their attention span was minimal.Never mind the fact  that between the ages of 10 to 13 they were all racing around on motor scooters anyway again without any form of parental supervision whatsoever.

Just because one's Thai offspring are totally out of control does not necessarily indicate that they have ADHD.

An excellent post. Your observations so closely mirror mine that I have to share your skepticism re the validity of the ADHD figures. Though not an expert in the child mental health field, as an ex teacher and parent, I have developed an almost-intuitive eye for spotting any sort of abnormality in child behaviour; in adult behaviour, too, for that matter, especially since coming to Thailand.

Re your 'inbred' comment, that supports my suspicion that the incidence of inbreeding, especially in the more isolated villages in Thailand's rural regions, is worryingly high. The number of kids who exhibit ADHD-typical behaviours and inability to respond to normal parent-child conversation is enough to cause me to make a strong link between ADHD and inbreeding. And, if this suspicion is justified, how on earth do you even start to draw up a programme of remedial action? . . . how does the Mental Health Department set about the task of educating the rural population that bonking your cousin is not a good idea?

If there is any substance in the MHD's findings, I can't see the situation improving much . . . this century, at least. 

Edited by Ossy
clarity

Dr Mathurata Suwanpo, director of Ratchanakarin Institute of Child and Youth Mental Health, [...] explained that ADHD is present in every child because of some substance in the brain which will affect the child’s development.

Anybody knows where i can buy a medical doctor title? I want one too

4 minutes ago, Ossy said:

a strong link between ADHD and inbreeding.

Of course this doesn't mean that there is no link, but the number of children being diagnosed with ADHD in countries where there is probably much less inbreeding, is rising too, so it's at least not the main reason

Edited by jackdd

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Of course this doesn't mean that there is no link, but the number of children being diagnosed with ADHD in countries where there is probably much less inbreeding, is rising too, so it's at least not the main reason

Yes, thanks for that. I was guilty of an over-hasty conclusion, there. Post #6 mentioned phones and tablets and, again, I have to agree wholeheartedly. It is a real pain for me to see so many kids with their eyes seemingly beamed-in to their or - more likely - their mother's not-so-smart phone.

So maybe the MHD ought to give serious thought - and I'm not joking, here - to a two-pronged approach to the worrying ADHD figures; (1) imposing a minimum age for phone-use - 15, I would suggest, allowing basic education a proper chance - and (2) educating the population against incest. A very energetic and extremely brave individual would be called for to stand any chance, here . . . Steven100, maybe :smile:

It appears the average Thai has no idea that giving their children what they want is not a good idea, giving a two year old a glass of coke then wondering why he is running around like a lunatic 5 minutes later! I see it with my neigbours kids and have to bite my lip, legal poisoning! Most of their meals are micro waved also, no wonder the kids grow up as they do! :sad:

We now live in an age where we are no longer allowed to say what we actually think, we have to abide by the "rules" we cannot call a spade "a spade" anymore!

Bearing this in mind - I have lived and worked in Thailand for the majority of my life (over 30 years) I have worked mainly for international companies, the Thai people working for these companies are the educated end of Thai society, their outlook and views on life are far different from the villages, by design off course!

Village children are not educated, they are indoctrinated to fit into their little world and treat "elders" with unconditional respect to the extent some are to be worshiped as Gods!

They are generally bought up by their Grand parents, the father will have left the mother at an early age, the mother is away earning a living in a great number of families.

The fact the Grandparents have no interest in the kids is immaterial & they will let them do what they want & have want they want within their means as long as they don't bother them. 'love" doesn't even come into the equation!

The end result is what we see everyday, the Thai male would have to be one of the most unimpressive species on earth, it really is quite sad, for sure it is similar with the working classes in most countries but here it is particularly bad. :sad:

The education system is a disgrace, what is the answer to ADHD, the usual suspects, the major drug companies will say they have the answer, give them pharmaceuticals, anyone with any sense knows where that leads and the health problems it will cause further down the line!

Society needs to "reboot" as we are headed in the wrong direction at this time! :shock1:

Edited by CGW

Now the drug companies just need to convince the Thai MPH to starts buying their ADHD drugs and hand them out like candy at 30 THB a shot.  Nice boost for Big Pharma corporate profits.

Interesting.  In the 1950s, all of us rambunctious kids probably would have been diagnosed as having ADHD and put on drugs. Instead, we played outside a whole lot and burned off all that excess energy.  Most kids need to be occupied, not drugged up. 

1 minute ago, connda said:

Now the drug companies just need to convince the Thai MPH to starts buying their ADHD drugs and hand them out like candy at 30 THB a shot.  Nice boost for Big Pharma corporate profits.

Interesting.  In the 1950s, all of us rambunctious kids probably would have been diagnosed as having ADHD and put on drugs. Instead, we played outside a whole lot and burned off all that excess energy.  Most kids need to be occupied, not drugged up. 

That is very true.

Thailand has become a very big market for Big Pharma and I was wondering when the ADHD thing would turn up.

The medicalization of sundry behavioural problems was actively resisted in the West in the 1990's but the proponents of alternative treatments were easily driven from the field as money talks..

One million Thai kids on Dexamphetamine boggles the mind but,upon reflection,there is probably about 2 million on Yaba already.

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

This is not just a problem for Thailand its everywhere.Parents spending less time with their children. Consumerism and the rush to buy the latest gadgets, clothes, cars or mortgages to buy a house they cannot afford forcing them into debt and 2 parents working to pay the debts for more and more needless accessories. The rat race in other words. So the kids are left with minimal time with their parents compensated with the gadgets they desire

Kids need parents time and not money or gadgets. We didn't have much money when I was a kid. I had 1 brother 2 sisters we had a happy childhood.The old man used to take us to the park to have a kick around or french cricket in the summer then he used to take us to West Ham every Saturday. The old lady used to help us make Potato animals with matchsticks for legs all sort of games and making paper chains at Christmas.Always dinner at the table no watching TV with dinner on your lap unless you wanted a slap around the head with the old mans rolled up Daily Mirror

Moral of the story give your kids your time they'll remember it when they older rather an obsolete I phone

That is why I don't have kids.. i know for a fact im not suited to be a parent. I like my life as is too much. If you can't raise them with all the love and raise them good..  why take kids. Kids are a big responsibility and you have to be 100% sure you want them and will take care of them. 

My brother is raising his daughter quite well, but it takes a lot of time and like you mentioned..with 2 people working that is hard. So only one is working the other part time. 

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

My thai friends daughter also has adhd and issues, so her mum quit her job to spend time with her daughters every day.

Now it's a year later and the girl is pretty normal, she plays an instrument (thai saw) and her sister a guitar. They can cook themselves and are just like the other kids now.

Big pharma needs to sell meds, so they now come to Thailand and try to hook a million kids on amphetamines. I spent 30 years on that crap and it left me in terrible shape. Amphetimines in the morning and sleeping pills at night (the Judy Garland Plan) and it was recipe for disaster and more and more drugs made things worse. The problems all disappeared after stopping these awful meds.  It is sad to see the profit hungry pharmaceutical makers trying to ply their crap here. 

Yep, the report neglected to say   "The survey found that 999,995 of the children were boys, 5 girls were found with ADHD".     We all know how the boys are cuddled and allowed to do what they want, the girls are required to go to school, study hard, make money so the boys will have money for Lao Kao, Motorcycles, Gambling etc etc.

Edited by TunnelRat69

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Thats a good one Dave  -  in Vietnam, my Lady has rules in our house, kids come from school,  

• Change Clothes 
  • Snack - Homework,    No TV
  • Drive to Karate training for Boy,  Kung Foo for Girl  (defense for bullies)
  • Dinner  
  • TV or Badminton, walk to market  whatever they want to do  -  Bed by 2100
  • Weekends is a free for all - but No TV during the mornings, get your ass outside & play!!  (Unless of course its raining secretly they pray for rain).  Sunday is Church - either morning or afternoon - then sit down family dinner.  Her rules not mine.
  • In Vietnam too many kids, not enough teachers, kids either go in the morning or afternoon.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

disorder of the brain functioning which was manifested in three major behaviors: inattentiveness, impulsiveness and hyperactivity

The next generation of lorry, bus, van, car, and motorbike drivers. :tongue:

3 hours ago, robblok said:

That is why I don't have kids.. i know for a fact im not suited to be a parent. I like my life as is too much. If you can't raise them with all the love and raise them good..  why take kids. Kids are a big responsibility and you have to be 100% sure you want them and will take care of them. 

My brother is raising his daughter quite well, but it takes a lot of time and like you mentioned..with 2 people working that is hard. So only one is working the other part time. 

That's very true. Some girls where I came from used to have a kid so they could get a council flat. What chance does that kid have? I also know people who have never worked in their life and live on Social security what a terrible existence and mentality

Edited by Dave67

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

That is very true.

Thailand has become a very big market for Big Pharma and I was wondering when the ADHD thing would turn up.

The medicalization of sundry behavioural problems was actively resisted in the West in the 1990's but the proponents of alternative treatments were easily driven from the field as money talks..

One million Thai kids on Dexamphetamine boggles the mind but,upon reflection,there is probably about 2 million on Yaba already.

Just think of the corporate profits.  So I don't think for a minute that there isn't a method to this madness.  Start with publications extolling the ADHD 'epidemic' in Thailand, lobby the 'right' government officials (anyone need a 10M THB watch?), suddenly there is academic 'buy-in' ('nice watch you have there doctor'), and bingo - Dexamphetamine become a highly prescribed drug by doctors who now have fancy watches.  Now, I'm being facetious, but the potential of bureaucratic corruption, in this country, exists.  I don't think I'm too far off base. 

Edited by connda

10 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

That's very true. Some girls where I came from used to have a kid so they could get a council flat. What chance does that kid have? I also know people who have never worked in their life and live on Social security what a terrible existence and mentality

I don't feel you have to use kids like that its real bad. IMHO only take kids if you really want then and CAN take care of them. There are enough people on this planet already. Why take kids if your not going to be able to take care of them and or want them. 

Here in Thailand kids are often taken for insurance of old age and I can understand that a little bit (not agreeing with it) but the system being as is i understand it.

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thats a good one Dave  -  in Vietnam, my Lady has rules in our house, kids come from school,  

• Change Clothes 
  • Dinner  
  • Weekends is a free for all - but No TV during the mornings, get your ass outside & play!!  (Unless of course its raining secretly they pray for rain).  Sunday is Church - either morning or afternoon - then sit down family dinner.  Her rules not mine.
  • In Vietnam too many kids, not enough teachers, kids either go in the morning or afternoon.

I'm lucky like that too, my wife and her families are decent people and the kids come first. When they were younger  they were washed, dressed and fed and then to school and bed by 8pm

4 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

and how many adults?

Well, yeah.  Of course lots of adults are ADHD prone by their own admittance. 
"I can barely make it though the day without Methylphenidate.  Thank God for these loving doctors!!!".  Considering the prisons are full of kratom and yaba users, must be nice to have a legal prescription. The middle class and Hi-So can get their's legally.   Lol  :biggrin:

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Quite accurate remark, I take the liberty to add the fact that so many young parents are consuming drugs like ya bah etc. and this might enhance the potential already during pregnancy...

My Salt & Pepper

And yes me too I have experience in this field, observing Thai young families since 25 years

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

• Change Clothes 
  • Dinner  

Make your bed every morning.
Clean up after yourself.

Yes, you have choirs to do before you can go out and play.

BTW, you can't stay inside.  Go outside and give me the smartphone before your leave.
Then it always helps to have parents who have outside interests too.  Bike riding, camping, fishing, hobbies.  I"m thinking that out of that 1million kids, 1 out of 100 had ADHD and the rest are bored out of their minds and have no role models. 

13 minutes ago, connda said:

Just think of the corporate profits.  So I don't think for a minute that there isn't a method to this madness.  Start with publications extolling the ADHD 'epidemic' in Thailand, lobby the 'right' government officials (anyone need a 10M THB watch?), suddenly there is academic 'buy-in' ('nice watch you have there doctor'), and bingo - Dexamphetamine become a highly prescribed drug by doctors who now have fancy watches.  Now, I'm being facetious, but the potential of bureaucratic corruption, in this country, exists.  I don't think I'm too far off base. 

Yes-that is EXACTLY how it all starts.

...and "shonky" data is always a plus especially in the land of rubbery figures...oops,I meant rubbery trees.

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

• Change Clothes 
  • Dinner  

A childhood very much like our own, I think you'll agree. I doubt if 10% of Thai families practise this sort of 'growing/learning/enjoying/relating' regime that your kids are bound to benefit from. All I see is eat-eat-eat, smart-phones, kids racing on noisy scooters and large screen TVs. The boys, especially, have that now distinctively Thai 'vacant' expression and would be unlikely to react if you either smiled or pulled your tongue out at them . . . relating is not a part of their make-up.

The tablets (iPads etc) are getting a hammering in some of the comments... but I'd like to make a different observation. 

At 4 years old my Son is allowed some quiet tablet time.... some of the applications are extremely clever in the way the distribute information and educate a child. 

The tablets are extremely useful on long journeys, flights and when out in a restaurant. Some may not like this, however, as a parent its healthy that we go out as a family with friends but it would be too much to expect our child to sit there happily for 3 hours. Equally so its unfair to have our child sit at home all day on his iPad, hence the limited 'screen' time he is permitted. 

We have had occasions where our son has 'demanded' the iPad, in which case we remove it completely for a few days. 

I write all this because I believe there is too much negativity against these useful tools - I would not remove books, lego, paints, playdoh, the bicycle, scooter etc... so I won't remove his iPad (completely) but I also recognize how it 'can' become quite addictive and lead to attention deficit. 

Moderation and balance leads to a healthier child IMO.