Prayut defines democracy ‘the Thai way’

webfact

Prayut defines democracy ‘the Thai way’

By The Nation

c2e78ba84941876f97311c2dc81cf3a5.jpeg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Tuesday that he wanted Thai people to have a good understanding of democracy and to do good things for the benefit of the country.

He explained that was why he chose the term “Thai Niyom”, which can be translated as “Thai-ism” or “the Thai way”, to describe the country’s democracy.

“How much do Thai people take part in national development? How deeply do Thai people understand democracy? We don’t need to follow developed countries. Thailand may be different,” Prayut said.

“But basically, we need to play by the world’s rules – whether it is democracy or anything else. We must not forget the principles of democracy,” he added.

The prime minister was speaking while presiding over an event to mark National Teachers’ Day at the Teachers’ Council of Thailand Auditorium.

“For me, the Thai way of democracy is about how to make Thai people have a good understanding about democracy, and how to make Thai people do good things for good results for the country,” he said.

The prime minister first mentioned the term “Thai Niyom” in his Children’s Day speech last Saturday, which led to a lot of speculation about the intended meaning and his real intention.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30336373

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-16

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

“For me, the Thai way of democracy is about how to make Thai people have a good understanding about democracy, and how to make Thai people do good things for good results for the country,” he said.

And that's supposed to be a definition? :cheesy:

24 minutes ago, Captain_Bob said:

Hold elections, as free and fair as possible, then you can talk about "democracy". Until then it remains increasingly a brain-washed delusional cardboard cutout Prayutcracy. 

It can't happen now as the system has been set to ensure that the people will have the illusion of voting but the reality of 'choose any colour as long as it's yellow'

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

“How much do Thai people take part in national development?

We don’t know. You’ve still got the political ban in place. 

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

We don’t need to follow developed countries. Thailand may be different,” Prayut said.

No, Thailand isn’t different. It isn’t special. Thais are human beings like the rest of us. They have the same basic needs like the rest of us. Being poor and downtrodden isn’t a sacrifice they voluntarily make for the sake of ‘Thailand’. It’s an involuntary sacrifice they make for the rich. And many don’t know any better because they haven’t been taught about it or been allowed to publicly talk about it. 

31 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

No, Thailand isn’t different. It isn’t special. Thais are human beings like the rest of us. They have the same basic needs like the rest of us. Being poor and downtrodden isn’t a sacrifice they voluntarily make for the sake of ‘Thailand’. It’s an involuntary sacrifice they make for the rich. And many don’t know any better because they haven’t been taught about it or been allowed to publicly talk about it. 

And THIS is the problem with ALL nations today. Inflated national egos spouting "We are exceptional!"  MAGA my ass!!! NO, we're ALL stuck together on this spinning rock, and while it's very important to retain your history and culture, we still all put our pants on one leg at a time. Until attitudes like the one demonstrated by the PM are finally realized as harmful to us as a species, racism and xenophobia will hamstring our progress.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Better let Benny in on this way.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“How much do Thai people take part in national development? How deeply do Thai people understand democracy? We don’t need to follow developed countries. Thailand may be different,” Prayut said.

In other words Thais don't care? Except for the really smart ones. Its still a put down what ever way you want to sugar coat this one.

June 24, 1932 800 years of absolute rule was ended in less than 24 hours.

Not a drop of blood was spilled, and opposition was insignificant.
Cheering crowds spontaneously lined Rachadamnern Avenue.

By 1939 when Democracy Monument was erected the armed forces had already positioned themselves as saviours of the nation, bringing about democracy for the benefit of the people. Civilians appear only as grateful recipients of the efforts of the armed forces, when in actual fact the coup was carried out by both civilians and a few of the military. The military are shown engaged in a battle for “democracy”, though the coup was bloodless and no fighting took place.
The 4 wings of the monument represent the air force, navy, army and police.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, Bwana.

Nationalism in the form spouted by the troll Prayuth does not bode well for Thailand.  He is using it in the same way as "Chart Niyom" which  evidences itself in feelings of superiority over other countries.  This is blatantly wrong, as how can any country be superior to others when it has got a total moron holding the reins.   

2 hours ago, webfact said:

and how to make Thai people do good things for good results for the country

I'm sorry, but to me that doesn't read like the definition of "democracy" but rather that of "fascism"; because isn't it in fascism where the people have to work for the good of the state and be subordinate to the state, whereas in a democracy the state is supposed to be working for the good of the people and actually serve the people.

Perhaps Prayuth confuses the two. I wouldn't be surprised. He's a soldier after all and a member of the so-called "elite".

3 hours ago, webfact said:

how to make Thai people do good things for good results for the country,” he said.

Sacking Prawit would be the best way to show that you are willing to do good things for the country. Demonstrate that everyone is expected to do good things and that means you as well. Do the right thing!

“For me, the Thai way of democracy is about how to make Thai people have a good understanding about democracy, and how to make Thai people do good things for good results for the country,”

They would have a better understanding if they were allowed to practice democracy would they not?

I think the general is onto something but without further clarification is impossible to comment. However it's crystal clear that western style democrasy does not and NEVER will work here
The thai people simply try to burn down bangkok if on the losing team. That is the opposite democracy.

2 hours ago, quandow said:

And THIS is the problem with ALL nations today. Inflated national egos spouting "We are exceptional!"  MAGA my ass!!! NO, we're ALL stuck together on this spinning rock, and while it's very important to retain your history and culture, we still all put our pants on one leg at a time. Until attitudes like the one demonstrated by the PM are finally realized as harmful to us as a species, racism and xenophobia will hamstring our progress.

Frankly no.. I always stand up on the sofa and jump both legs down into my pants... Have many bruises proving it..

But I totally agree with the rest of your post :)

1 hour ago, toughlove said:

I think the general is onto something but without further clarification is impossible to comment. However it's crystal clear that western style democrasy does not and NEVER will work here
The thai people simply try to burn down bangkok if on the losing team. That is the opposite democracy.

You do have a rather tenuous grip on what actually happened in the last three general elections which were held here, don't you?

You do have a rather tenuous grip on what actually happened in the last three general elections which were held here, don't you?
Thailand has a long history of failed western style democracy. If they are EVER going to embrace democracy it must be a modified version.

Many people here been saying this for many years but get smacked down by the rose glasses brigade.

I'm very curious to see the details but will hold my judgment until then

No doubt the TV crystal ball holders will keep kicking and screaming.

Thailand has a long history of failed western style democracy. If they are EVER going to embrace democracy it must be a modified version.

Many people here been saying this for many years but get smacked down by the rose glasses brigade.

I'm very curious to see the details but will hold my judgment until then

No doubt the TV crystal ball holders will keep kicking and screaming.

Thailand has held four successful general elections, each of which has been entirely in accord with the provisions of the various constitutions in place, each of which has been verified as basically free and fair by international observers and the participating parties, and each of which has produced governments which have broadly reflected the choice of the people. That is a serial successful exercise in democracy.

Each of those governments has been forced from office by undemocratic and unconstitutional means, by a self perpetuating extremely wealthy clique who have the army and other institutions at their disposal and are simply unprepared to allow the people to choose their own government. That is not a failure of democracy, it is the deliberate sabotaging of democracy.

If you look past the time worn clichés about "rose tinted glasses" and "the Thais not being ready for democracy" you might just realise what has happened here.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

Hold elections, as free and fair as possible, then you can talk about "democracy". Until then it remains increasingly a brain-washed delusional cardboard cutout Prayutcracy. 

Assigned reading...

Unfortunately free and fair elections are only the first step on the road to democracy.

I can't remember any political party in the last 20 years going much beyond that step.

Some paid lip service but others didn't even bother with that. "We won the election, therefore we will do it our way".

Thailand has held four successful general elections, each of which has been entirely in accord with the provisions of the various constitutions in place, each of which has been verified as basically free and fair by international observers and the participating parties, and each of which has produced governments which have broadly reflected the choice of the people. That is a serial successful exercise in democracy.

Each of those governments has been forced from office by undemocratic and unconstitutional means, by a self perpetuating extremely wealthy clique who have the army and other institutions at their disposal and are simply unprepared to allow the people to choose their own government. That is not a failure of democracy, it is the deliberate sabotaging of democracy.

If you look past the time worn clichés about "rose tinted glasses" and "the Thais not being ready for democracy" you might just realise what has happened here.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Conspiracy theories vs cliche.. Same same but different.
The facts speak for themselves. There has never been a period of calm and acceptance of western democracy here NEVER has NEVER will.

Your example of fair elections.. Cough cough.. Does not equall democracy done deal. You certainly come across as nieve to put it politely

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

... This guy seems to want to go backwards.

He seems like the kind who wants to go forward.  Like those who think they can solve flooding by rowing down the Chao Phraya river (facing upstream).

"... 'Democratic Kingdom of Prayutistan' ..."  Is that the country where they make all those knockoffs of fancy watches? 

Free and fair elections:  "You were dumb enough to vote for us, so suck it up, buttercup. It's our turn now."