we have created a generation of zombies

opalred

13 minutes ago, amvet said:

The first antiperspirant, which thwarts both sweat-production and bacterial growth, was called Everdry and launched in 1903.  When did women start shaving underarms and legs?  Do you know? 

People, not only women, smelled because they didn't wash themselves, not because they didn't have antiperspirant!

Having said that and despite all the progress, there are still some smelly places around...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-20/these-are-worlds-real-shitholes-literally

chartoftheday_12601_nearly_a_billion_people_still_defecate_outdoors_n.jpg

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Brunolem said:

Why Thai?

The most ignorant people live in the US of A, even though they are led by a very stable genius!

For most of them, geography starts on the East Coast and ends on the West Coast, and history starts the day they were born...

Whilst I may (or may not) agree with you this posters idiom is not that of -to quote Winston Churchill-"the English Speaking Peoples.."

I have asked him/her a simple question-up  to him to answer it.

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Whilst I may (or may not) agree with you this posters idiom is not that of -to quote Winston Churchill-"the English Speaking Peoples.."

I have asked him/her a simple question-up  to him to answer it.

Still waiting for you to point out any historical errors that I have written about this topic. 

15 minutes ago, amvet said:

Still waiting for you to point out any historical errors that I have written about this topic. 

I already have.

Sorry cobber,but your now claim to be an American Veteran who happened to go to ANU (Australian National University) seem to be a triffle...hmmm...gassamer thin..

Aussie troops used the word "cobber" rather than mate in The Great War.

I salute my great uncle and grand uncle who  fell at Gallipoli and my grandfather and grand uncle who survived the conflict (albeit  wounded and gassed) and returned to my splendid country.

Edited by Odysseus123

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I already have.

Sorry cobber,but your now claim to be an American Veteran who happened to go to ANU (Australian National University) seem to be a triffle...hmmm...gassamer thin..

Aussie troops used the word "cobber" rather than mate in The Great War.

I salute my great uncle and grand uncle who  fell at Gallipoli and my grandfather and grand uncle who survived the conflict (albeit  wounded and and gassed) and returned to my splendid country.

I wrote no such thing.  I wrote, " the university I graduated from is ranked 21 in the world as is the Australian National University I assume you graduated from there?"  I didn't go to school in Australia I said there was one school in Australia that was ranked as high as the school I went to in the USA.  

You have pointed out no historical inaccuracies that I posted.  All you have done lied about my posting twice.  Once about the school I went to and another about historical inaccuracies. 

I'd appreciate it if you would stop lying about my posts. 

As I said before point out any historical inaccuracies I have written and I will profusely apologize. 

Edited by amvet

4 minutes ago, amvet said:

I wrote no such thing.  I wrote, " the university I graduated from is ranked 21 in the world as is the Australian National University I assume you graduated from there?"  I didn't go to school in Australia I said there was one school in Australia that was ranked as high as the school I went to in the USA.  

You have pointed out no historical inaccuracies that I posted.  All you have done lied about my posting twice.  Once about the school I went to and another about historical inaccuracies. 

I'd appreciate it if you would stop lying about my posts. 

Hmmm...simple question-Are you Thai?

Yes or no?

Edited by Odysseus123

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Hmmm...simple question-Are you Thai?

Yes or no?

Stop the racist stuff.  Stop lying about my posts.  I'll repeat it one more time.  I never wrote I went to school in Australia and I have written no historical inaccuracies.   If you don't like Thai people and think that calling someone Thai is an insult it sure is odd that you have chosen to live in Thailand. 

Just now, amvet said:

Stop the racist stuff.  Stop lying about my posts.  I'll repeat it one more time.  I never wrote I went to school in Australia and I have written no historical inaccuracies.   If you don't like Thai people and think that calling someone Thai is an insult it sure is odd that you have chosen to live in Thailand. 

You appear to be a trifle discombobulated.I can sympathize with that.After all,after your 22,347 posts you  have not  been seriously challenged,have you?

Why  should I  dislike Thai people?

After all..you claim that you are an American.

How can this be so?

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

You appear to be a trifle discombobulated.I can sympathize with that.After all,after your 22,347 posts you  have not  been seriously challenged,have you?

Why  should I  dislike Thai people?

After all..you claim that you are an American.

How can this be so?

You have implied that I am Thai (ignorant) because I wrote something historically inaccurate.   Outright lie.  I didn't write anything historically inaccurate.  I don't know what "post 22,347" is.  Posts change numbers as posts are deleted like yours for violating TV policy.  If you want to quote something best use quotes.  Why would you care about my nationality?  Race or national stereotyping easier than confronting the truth?  I don't know why but you think I am Thai and somehow that insults me. Better if you stuck to facts and stop trying to insult people.   

6 minutes ago, amvet said:

You have implied that I am Thai (ignorant) because I wrote something historically inaccurate.   Outright lie.  I didn't write anything historically inaccurate.  I don't know what "post 22,347" is.  Posts change numbers as posts are deleted like yours for violating TV policy.  If you want to quote something best use quotes.  Why would you care about my nationality?  Race or national stereotyping easier than confronting the truth?  I don't know why but you think I am Thai and somehow that insults me. Better if you stuck to facts and stop trying to insult people.   

Goodness...gracious..me...

Who else would behave in such a childish,immature and pathetic way..

Now sing along  with me..

Edited by Odysseus123

According to the 2016 annual report by the Entertainment Association, the average gamer spends just under 7 hours a week playing video games. Thais might spend some more hours, who knows? 

This isn’t limited to just gaming companies, most companies do this. For example, Facebook pays you up to $500 for any bugs you find on their platform.

http://moneypantry.com/paid-to-test-video-games/

Yes, it's weird to see people sitting at a table without communicating, but now I'm old and I'm telling my son that he's too long online, but posting here isn't any different.

When I was his age, my parents told me that my music would be crazy. Were they right? 

Times are changing and so do people and I guess that we all have to live with it. All these times have a positive aspect for the people who live in it. 

But none of us will live forever. George Orwell was right about the cameras. 

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

According to the 2016 annual report by the Entertainment Association, the average gamer spends just under 7 hours a week playing video games

There is probably a typo somewhere...7 hours a day might be closer to reality...

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

When I was his age, my parents told me that my music would be crazy. Were they right? 

Maybe they were...

Not because of the music in itself, but because the generation that produced it, the baby boomers, is more and more recognized as one of the worst that ever lived (the banksters, W, the very stable genius...)!

Obviously, our parents, from the previous, silent, generation, share a large responsibility for this sad situation.

Whole books have been and are written on that subject

9 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Maybe they were...

Not because of the music in itself, but because the generation that produced it, the baby boomers, is more and more recognized as one of the worst that ever lived (the banksters, W, the very stable genius...)!

Obviously, our parents, from the previous, silent, generation, share a large responsibility for this sad situation.

Whole books have been and are written on that subject

I see it more as an aspect in our evolution. Generations change because of changes in communications, language, etc. This used to be slow, because communication was slow and the bounds of a person within society was relatively fixed. The generation gaps were stable, but they were there. With increasing personal liberty, the fast evolution of technology and the increasing speed of communication language and attitudes follow suit. The generation gaps increases at the same time that lifespans get longer.

I could probably hang in there with @amvet, but I feel no desire to, having never been extrovert enough to want to be in the public eye. I want to go ride a motorbike through Asia, alone or with a pillion rider of my own choice. Not in a group, I have never been a herd animal...

enhanced-22145-1413386158-27.jpg

8 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

lol, what utter nonsense you talk.

They are not talking nonsense, I expect you are confused between lifespan, which is the maximum length of life, and life expectancy, which is the average length of life.  Lifespan of a human is 125 years and remains largely unchanged for the past 2000 years, while life expectancy is about 80 and has doubled in the same period.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

They are not talking nonsense, I expect you are confused between lifespan, which is the maximum length of life, and life expectancy, which is the average length of life.  Lifespan of a human is 125 years and remains largely unchanged for the past 2000 years, while life expectancy is about 80 and has doubled in the same period.

Why would the human lifespan change?

And what would be the point of trying to change it?

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Date of birth and date of death...if you don't mind?

I always prefer to use Socrates as an example as most people are confident he actually existed.

Died age 71 in 399 BC, not of old age but executed.

I'm 62 now, would be happy to make 65.

As far as I can see life after 70 isn't worth living (well I haven't met anyone older that that I envied).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Why would the human lifespan change?

And what would be the point of trying to change it?

It would change if for some reason people were able to live beyond what they have been able to up till now.

What are you even asking this second question for?  Do you want to die?  The point in trying to change our maximum lifespan would be to try to live longer, duh!

7 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I always prefer to use Socrates as an example as most people are confident he actually existed.

Died age 71 in 399 BC, not of old age but executed.

I'm 62 now, would be happy to make 65.

As far as I can see life after 70 isn't worth living (well I haven't met anyone older that that I envied).

Going on 61...feels like you.

Natural life expectancy is around 75 years...fine with me...