Consumer foundation offers legal assistance to customers sued by Mazda

rooster59

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thailand is the only country, AFAIK, where a corporate entity can sue for defamation. In Commonwealth countries, only individuals can be defamed. It is not possible in law to defame a company. Check out Whirlpool, there are constant criticisms levelled at companies over various consumer issues.

This was also my view - Im from a Commonwealth country and have lived in others and never heard of a Co. suing an individual who has complained about a product - even a group of individuals , as long as they have not published falsehoods.

But I'd rather listen to others  and learn something along the way  than yell , "Wrong"  , as I dont know all the laws in all the world... and after all , we are talking about Mazda  IN Thailand.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just from the story it seems things are being handle all wrong?

There is no consumer protection or there is one that just does nothing like every department in Thailand?  They voice the problem but have no power to act as if these department exist for a paycheck?

Thus, when there is a problem with a vehicle the consumer doesn't have a voice to get the research done and if a real problem exist have the vehicle recall and the problem fixed.

Maybe I'm out of touch but 10 years but 500KM, why wouldn't any maker even negotiate the terms wouldn't it be cheaper to just fix the problem and if they can't have something like the "lemon Law" take the vehicle back or replace it.

I agree with the consumer must have a voice but the terms being requested is for the entire car and not the particular problem.  This I would have to side with Mazda to sue the customer to stop them from what seems to be blackmailing Mazda.

This is Thailand, speeding what is the problem driver here seem condition to speed so maybe it isn't going fast enough?

As for ThaiVisa, who posted the story they got the spelling wrong.:signthaivisa:

16 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Just from the story it seems things are being handle all wrong?

There is no consumer protection or there is one that just does nothing like every department in Thailand?  They voice the problem but have no power to act as if these department exist for a paycheck?

Thus, when there is a problem with a vehicle the consumer doesn't have a voice to get the research done and if a real problem exist have the vehicle recall and the problem fixed.

Maybe I'm out of touch but 10 years but 500KM, why wouldn't any maker even negotiate the terms wouldn't it be cheaper to just fix the problem and if they can't have something like the "lemon Law" take the vehicle back or replace it.

I agree with the consumer must have a voice but the terms being requested is for the entire car and not the particular problem.  This I would have to side with Mazda to sue the customer to stop them from what seems to be blackmailing Mazda.

This is Thailand, speeding what is the problem driver here seem condition to speed so maybe it isn't going fast enough?

As for ThaiVisa, who posted the story they got the spelling wrong.:signthaivisa:

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And if you can't accept a simple opinion then you shouldn't be on Thaivisa or any other forum. 

Get yourself some boxers obvious the jockeys are just too tight for you cutting off the blood circulation everywhere making you uptight.  :partytime2::passifier:

Can add Chevrolet Thailand to the avoid list. The wife’s Colorado did a spontaneous combustion on the highway and was completely gutted within minutes. Luckily her brother, who was driving, stopped the car promptly to investigate the smell of burning and the passengers got out with him. It burst into flames and burnt so quickly they weren’t able to rescue their personal effects which were incinerated.

Chevrolet strung us along for about 9 months always giving the impression they were going to take responsibility for the defective vehicle but never saying anything conclusive. Finally I got feed up and demanded they agree to a meeting to explain their position which they did. The meeting turned out to be with the PR department and they launched into a boring presentation of all the facts we already knew, e.g. purchase date, mileage, service record etc. Finally the missus cut them short and asked how they planned to compensate us for the dangerous and defective vehicle they sold us. Their response was that spontaneous combustion was in no way evidence of a defective vehicle and it might in some way have been our fault (for buying and using their crappy product I suppose) and the warranty had expired. But as a gesture of goodwill that in no way implied culpability they would offer us free 1st class insurance, if we bought a new truck from them. Gee thanks the missus said but I can get a better deal from any brand at the motor show.

Thai consumer protection law is so feeble it should actually be called manufacturers and retailers protection law. The wife paid a few grand to a lawyer, who was willing to try to sue for bigger bucks.But my researches into the  legal situation suggested that no punitive damages would be possible unles we could prove the precise monetary value of damage incurred with receipts etc., since the insurance company had taken the hit for the depreciated value of the truck. So I cut losses.

I believe GM in the US has faced some class actions for Colorado’s that self isolated in the US and Canada which suggests there is or was a design fault but Chev Thailand denied all knowledge of these cases.

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

This was also my view - Im from a Commonwealth country and have lived in others and never heard of a Co. suing an individual who has complained about a product - even a group of individuals , as long as they have not published falsehoods.

But I'd rather listen to others  and learn something along the way  than yell , "Wrong"  , as I dont know all the laws in all the world... and after all , we are talking about Mazda  IN Thailand.

Not siding with Mazda, but the way I read the story is the consumer has a specific complaint regarding these vehicles like " speeding " the demands from the specific consumers wanted Mazda to cover their vehicles for 10 years 500Km, Mazda offer less ( why not just fix the problem if known ) if it is just one or two problems why ask Mazda to cover it bumper to bumper? when the consumer didn't get their way they continue to air their complaints on the website it isn't as if Mazda didn't try I think it is unfair since it is near impossible to defend itself on a website and that goes for any company. The lawsuit it seem was to give them a level playing field with these consumers.

A true story, In 1991, I purchased a Jeep fully loaded, from day one I had problems water leaking when it rained, bumper to bumper problems, lucky I got the extended warranty the biggest was the ABS system continue to go out coming down a deep hill the ABS system goes out.

Through the dealer recommendation I apply the lemon law, got a hearing I had a one inch folder of service records for breakdowns, when I filed I got nothing but attitude and in the hearing the representative said lemon law only applies to one specific items so your application for buyback or replacement is refused.

I didn't think I got a fair shake so I at my own expense had the car wrapped like a yellow lemon with a sign listing all the problems on the windshield and not to buy a Jeep! and parked  right in front of the dealership for the weekend.

Never heard a word thereafter make sure everything was working and traded it in for a Toyota.

4 hours ago, asiamaster said:

Get the petrol engine no problems with that. Only the diesels (and only when used in extreme conditions) 

Problem with diesels if used for short journeys the DPF light will come on and if ignored it will restrict your speed

5 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Another brand i will "blacklist" and never buy. Same as Ford because of how they handled the transmission problems.

If they dont want customers i will comply with their request.

And VW? after their lies re emissions. They must be added to the list !!

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Mazda said it had tried to negotiate with them and offered them a six-year guarantee or 180,000 kilometres,

Interesting. I have a four year old CX5 and received a letter from Mazda Thailand a few months back informing me that the warranty in respect of engine and transmission has been increased to six years or 180k km. I guess this is a knock-on effect of the case being reported.

18 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Not siding with Mazda, but the way I read the story is the consumer has a specific complaint regarding these vehicles like " speeding " the demands from the specific consumers wanted Mazda to cover their vehicles for 10 years 500Km, Mazda offer less ( why not just fix the problem if known ) if it is just one or two problems why ask Mazda to cover it bumper to bumper? when the consumer didn't get their way they continue to air their complaints on the website it isn't as if Mazda didn't try I think it is unfair since it is near impossible to defend itself on a website and that goes for any company. The lawsuit it seem was to give them a level playing field with these consumers.

A true story, In 1991, I purchased a Jeep fully loaded, from day one I had problems water leaking when it rained, bumper to bumper problems, lucky I got the extended warranty the biggest was the ABS system continue to go out coming down a deep hill the ABS system goes out.

Through the dealer recommendation I apply the lemon law, got a hearing I had a one inch folder of service records for breakdowns, when I filed I got nothing but attitude and in the hearing the representative said lemon law only applies to one specific items so your application for buyback or replacement is refused.

I didn't think I got a fair shake so I at my own expense had the car wrapped like a yellow lemon with a sign listing all the problems on the windshield and not to buy a Jeep! and parked  right in front of the dealership for the weekend.

Never heard a word thereafter make sure everything was working and traded it in for a Toyota.

Mazda is a large Japanese company in Thailand with powerful local connections. I would guess that the customers got frustrated with their refusal to stand by their products and hiding behind Thailand’s non-existent consumer protection law. Perhaps that induced the customers to go a bit over the top. But Mazda has really gone over the top by suing its own customers and I am sure they have exaggerated the customer s’ alleged wrongdoings.

2 hours ago, Autonuaq said:

Why redicilius.

Modern car 500000 km why not?

Mine has 495000 Ford and is 8 years old so why not?

my volvo back home also did not much about 58500 before it was damaged by a truck.

There are many cars that can easy do 500000 if well maintened by good mechanics 

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Be all respect, 10-year guarantee or 500,000 kilometers is an unrealistic demand for a middle class car.

Mazda said it had tried to negotiate with them and offered a six-year guarantee or 180,000 kilometers, but the offer was turned down.

This action is blackmail and may be treated as a criminal offense in court.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

And if you can't accept a simple opinion then you shouldn't be on Thaivisa or any other forum. 

Get yourself some boxers obvious the jockeys are just too tight for you cutting off the blood circulation everywhere making you uptight.  :partytime2::passifier:

No problem accepting your opinion, despite its incoherent presentation. I was making the point your misspellings and grammatical errors were so blatant you shouldn't be criticising Thai Visa for incorrect spelling.:shock1:

I dont know why anyone would buy any of those models. I am an average size 1.75M and I always felt cramped in the drivers seat. My left leg was always being touched by the plastic panel near my knee. I had test drives in both the Mazda 3 and CX 3.

Much prefer the Honda. More room and reliability. Feel sorry for those people who bought recently, their cars will have depreciated with this and will, even more as it becomes more public.

12 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

This is new.....but not unexpected I guess......but who would have thought that to complain about a new car' capabilities, or lack of, would bring a lawsuit from the maker?

The law and legal system here in Thailand are so backward!

12 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

This is new.....but not unexpected I guess......but who would have thought that to complain about a new car' capabilities, or lack of, would bring a lawsuit from the maker?

The law and legal system here in Thailand are so backward!

Always the opposite of other countries as everyone knows very well

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Mazda is a large Japanese company in Thailand with powerful local connections. I would guess that the customers got frustrated with their refusal to stand by their products and hiding behind Thailand’s non-existent consumer protection law. Perhaps that induced the customers to go a bit over the top. But Mazda has really gone over the top by suing its own customers and I am sure they have exaggerated the customer s’ alleged wrongdoings.

I guess that is your opinion of the article but I see it the other way until the full story comes out?  I think Mazda did offer the help the customer just the customer wanted some outside the scope of the problem with the vehicle which was the " speeding issue "  to demand and it was a demand otherwise they continue to go online with their opinion which they did. Again the customer wanted a 10 year 500,000 KM warranty?  I think Kia offers a 10 year but 500,000 Km, what car maker offer that? Mazda came back with less, less means to me 500 was too much so they made a offer. Then why demand a 10 year bumper to bumper when the problem was isolated to the speeding. That is why I said Mazda should just fix the problem. Based on the story written and we can only go by what is written unless you know more? I feel you just can't yell fired Online, you got to stick to the issue of the problem and not want a full coverage on the entire vehicle. If Mazda had refused to fix the problem then I think the consumer have a case, based on what I read even in Thailand, with or without consumer protection they don't have a case since their demand is outside the scope of the problem being stated Online which is speeding.

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

No problem accepting your opinion, despite its incoherent presentation. I was making the point your misspellings and grammatical errors were so blatant you shouldn't be criticising Thai Visa for incorrect spelling.:shock1:

I can see the light is on but no one is home here!

This isn't rocket science but a bit uptight maybe you are associated with them unless you are the moderator or on payroll let them defend themselves!

The difference I'm not on their payroll, if you are going to get pay then prove read what is published, we have enough fake news going on at least do the job right and get the spelling right.

That is the difference plus my remarks was to be somewhat joking but I guess your uptight butt anything is going to send you over the top! Maybe if you are so concern and up and up about yourself go get a job with them.

I can see where this post is going to end up, so before they Bye!

9 hours ago, juehoe said:

I like to know, which problems these Mazda 2 have. «Engine problems when speeding» sounds strange. Did the the drives overheat the engine because they are driving too fast and too long and ignored warnings?

Well that would be normal driving. Engines are designed to run fast for long periods and if they overheat, then there is something wrong in the design.

5 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

Isn't mazda a Japanese company? Surprised they would allow this to stand (vs issue a recall or some way for buyers to get the waranty service hassle-free.

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ford Corporation was an important partner, in 1996 some 30 percent, now a minor shareholder I believe under 3 percent.

Archived