really put 400k/800k for the whole year

I assume you meant to write 400/800k (changed to that now from 40/80k).

Whether you have there for a year or only the required amount of time on the date you apply makes no difference to your application.

Some people use the money in the bank to live on and then top it up to meet the 2 or 3 month requirement before they apply for the extension.

• Like 2

Up to each individual how to organise their own finances.

Personally I stick my funds to meet the Immigration requirements in a Fixed term deposit account. The interest rates are better than the UK.

Then I have a separate Savings account with debit card for day to day living expenses.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

It makes no difference what you do.

As long as the money is in the bank for the required amount of time.

If you just leave it and don't withdraw anything they might want to know how you are financing your stay.

People can and do have more than 1 bank account

5 hours ago, darrendsd said:

People can and do have more than 1 bank account

would surely be better to have one account solely for

the 3-month seasoning.

would be a shame if using only one account, to accidently

withdraw a few hundred baht too much from the atm,

the week before renewal and balance drops to 799,957

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, and as LiteBeer said, immigration may ask about the other accounts.

They are only interested in that you fulfill the requirements which if you are showing the required funds you are doing

Why on earth would they be interested in any other funds you may have? You have already proved to them you have enough required in order to get your extension of stay,  what other money you may or may not have is nothing to do with them and they know it

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

They are only interested in that you fulfill the requirements which if you are showing the required funds you are doing

Why on earth would they be interested in any other funds you may have? You have already proved to them you have enough required in order to get your extension of stay,  what other money you may or may not have is nothing to do with them and they know it

There have been reports of some immigration offices asking for proof of some income when the funds are left sitting in an account no activity. It could be another Thai bank account or ATM transactions from a bank in another country.

The intent of the money in the bank is to prove you have money to live on.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There have been reports of some immigration offices asking for proof of some income when the funds are left sitting in an account no activity. It could be another Thai bank account or ATM transactions from a bank in another country.

The intent of the money in the bank is to prove you have money to live on.

Well I think it all depends. Originally, I stayed in Thailand under Marriage requirements and I also had to declare the income. It was the IO who later suggested I change to retirement because both accounts met requirements. In the past few years I have the 800K in the fixed account and they no longer require the income account. But then of course my records show where my income comes from so they don't need to ask.

leaving the 80k in a thai bank for 12 months term deposit is a no brainer, at the end of the term you pay thai tax, on very paltry interest, no tax on a savings account interest, at .5%, lend it out around the village or buy some sugar cane is a better  deal, 10% i get here for a 12 month term,  cane returns about 20% no problems for 5 years for the unbeleivers, top up when retirement visa is  due from my aus old age pension account at 3% with no tax, and bring back cash on my yearly trip, so no bank fees and a great exchange rate at patts, this is the way to go in thailand, also cuts out the bloody bank fees

3 minutes ago, stropper said:

leaving the 80k in a thai bank for 12 months term deposit is a no brainer, at the end of the term you pay thai tax, on very paltry interest, no tax on a savings account interest, at .5%, lend it out around the village or buy some sugar cane is a better  deal, 10% i get here for a 12 month term,  cane returns about 20% no problems for 5 years for the unbeleivers, top up when retirement visa is  due from my aus old age pension account at 3% with no tax, and bring back cash on my yearly trip, so no bank fees and a great exchange rate at patts, this is the way to go in thailand, also cuts out the bloody bank fees

So you suggest loan sharking as a legitimate way to go? 

Playing with fire and Centrelink methinks. 

• Like 2

once you leave aus and become a non resident and you only have the correct amounts in your  accounts in aus, and aus address, CENTRELINK, can do nothing, about what happens overseas, and really do not care, in fact my information came from centrelink workers, daughters of fathers who live in thailand, on old age pensions, they actually live in his house for free, whos name its in stops them instantly, own nothing ,tell them nothing, and a be bad gambler, same as politicians do, wake up, use the system, aus is now a wrought

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, stropper said:

leaving the 80k in a thai bank for 12 months term deposit is a no brainer, at the end of the term you pay thai tax, on very paltry interest, no tax on a savings account interest, at .5%,

You get the tax back.........no brainer.

21 minutes ago, stropper said:

lend it out around the village or buy some sugar cane is a better  deal, 10% i get here for a 12 month term,  cane returns about 20% no problems for 5 years for the unbeleivers, top up when retirement visa is  due from my aus old age pension account at 3% with no tax, and bring back cash on my yearly trip, so no bank fees and a great exchange rate at patts, this is the way to go in thailand, also cuts out the bloody bank fees

So your working illegally..............on a retirement extension............without a work permit.................no brainer!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, stropper said:

once you leave aus and become a non resident and you only have the correct amounts in your  accounts in aus, and aus address, CENTRELINK, can do nothing, about what happens overseas, and really do not care, in fact my information came from centrelink workers, daughters of fathers who live in thailand, on old age pensions, they actually live in his house for free, whos name its in stops them instantly, own nothing ,tell them nothing, and a be bad gambler, same as politicians do, wake up, use the system, aus is now a wrought

That depends if your 65 and getting your Centrelink pension.

54 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

So you suggest loan sharking as a legitimate way to go? 

Playing with fire and Centrelink methinks. 

Centrelink probably won't care. However, if local police, Immigration or mafia get wind of it I'd be worried. Small fish surrounded by sharks.

1 hour ago, stropper said:

I am wondering what you are going to do when one of your Thai borrowers defaults. Many Thais treat a loan as a gift, or take their time in repayment.

IMHO it's better to earn income in Oz, where the tax system treats older citizens quite favourably, and transfer it here as needed. The way you are supplementing your OAP strikes me as quite risky.

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Well I think it all depends. Originally, I stayed in Thailand under Marriage requirements and I also had to declare the income. It was the IO who later suggested I change to retirement because both accounts met requirements. In the past few years I have the 800K in the fixed account and they no longer require the income account. But then of course my records show where my income comes from so they don't need to ask.

IO's prefer to issue a retirement extension because they can be issued immediately, so it is common for them to suggest switching when the applicant meets the financial requirements for retirement. Less paperwork.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, britishrepublican said:

I had  to put a minimum of 400k baht into my bank, it had to have been in the account for 1 month before I could apply for my visa.

Assuming you're referring to an extension of stay; which office was that because the national rule is 2 months minimum?

5 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Not true, they do enquiry sometimes about funding for living expenses.

I've done a marriage extension for a few years now. I've kept 400k in the bank and not touched it. In fact, six mis prior to this extension I'd increased to 600k (+200k). Nothing has been said, paperwork of extension #5 processed in minutes at CW BKK. Zero questions.

I am working, but it's bc I can't afford my wife and myself not to work so if I'm stuck in BKK, might as well work. I'm now at a great school and excellent salary. I mention this bc...

I've included photocopies of WP, tax #, addl bank books with balances (Thai, not my US accounts). Every year they toss it all back at me. I even told my wife, next year I'm just submitting exactly what is asked for.

Hunch, and only that is single, retirees MIGHT possibly be asked, but I doubt marrieds. Either way, it's not a lot of money and is a requirement. Another thing to consider is if they ask and want more than a passing answer they must be willing to stall your app and you will return to a different IO and they will be like...oh really? Bc I don't care..

My experience

Edited by ozmeldo

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you meant to write 400/800k (changed to that now from 40/80k).

Whether you have there for a year or only the required amount of time on the date you apply makes no difference to your application.

Some people use the money in the bank to live on and then top it up to meet the 2 or 3 month requirement before they apply for the extension.

I  heard the marriage visa this year is now 450K. (not confirmed)

• Sad 1