running bare-chested

LGMV

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I maybe old-fashioned, but IMHO you should keep your shirt on, unless you are on the beach.

I was jogging in a park in Bangkok this morning. I didn't feel the urge to take off my shirt.

Why do you want to take off your shirt??

I have been running in Suwan Santiphab on Soi Rangnaam pretty much every evening for 10 years now. Hundreds of people run and work out there at that time and I can't recall ever seeing anyone without a shirt on, even cooling off to a side or on the fitness machines.

This doesn't mean it's illegal but probably isn't appropriate in this country.

Edited by Bang Bang

13 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

In a country where it's illegal to drive a car bare-chested, I imagine there's also some law that says running the same way is also true.

I believe it's frowned upon for men to go shirtless here, as someone else said, the beach or by the swimming pool would be acceptable.

I think the very socially-conservative middle & upper class Thais would consider it "low-class".

When I've been jogging in Benjakitti park I've seen two different men jogging without shirts.

Both of them decided to jog the "wrong way" around the lake, with one if them preferring to jog on the cycling track.

Then again I've also seen a nun jogging round the lake in a habit and veil. It certainly makes things more interesting.

When i am at home i never wear a shirt ( unless its cold) that is due to the fact that on my upper body shirts irritate me.

This is because my upper body is very sensitive ( since my accident).

I never go out the gate without a shirt on, if i did my wife would have a hissy fit, as she says it is not polite.

30 minutes ago, blackcab said:

When I've been jogging in Benjakitti park I've seen two different men jogging without shirts.

Both of them decided to jog the "wrong way" around the lake, with one if them preferring to jog on the cycling track.

Then again I've also seen a nun jogging round the lake in a habit and veil. It certainly makes things more interesting.

A nun jogging in a habit and a veil, I swear, if you stay here long enough you'll see every possible combination of everything.

38 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Of course it's permissible. Especially if you have an elaborate collection of graphic tattoos that you know everyone will want to admire.

Even more so if you have a decent set of man boobs, beer belly.

The correct answer is this. If you're a farang from a class structured society like Britain who beleives they are better than others and think it's important to project the image they are part of the upper crust of society and living in fear of what the mythical thai upper/middle class think of them, then leave your shirt on, and continue to denounce other farang especially in front of thais to hammer home the point, that you're one of the "good farangs". Reasssure yourself it's going to earn you lots of respect amongst the Thai upper/middle classes. 

On the other hand, if you're from the new world and don't have snowflake like qualities when it comes to what other people  think, then feel free to remove your shirt when exercising in public. There is no law against it (unless you're female). In fact, I've been doing it for 15 years, and never had a problem.  Nor do I even remember any negative comments either. If you don't beleive me, then get out more. 

Edited by Time Traveller

1 minute ago, wonder6281 said:

I was out for dinner last night at an open air moo Gata restaurant. 

3 Asian men came in (Korean) sat down to eat and 2 of them had removed their shirts. 

They even went back to buffet topless. 

Nothing was said to them. 

????

Thai society is essentially non-confrontational.

Nothing may have been said, but thoughts and opinions will have been formed.

Foreigners get a lot of leeway because they are seen as either temporarily here or not part of the Thai society and culture.

9 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

The correct answer is this. If you're a farang from a class structured society like Britain who beleives they are better than others and think it's important to project the image they are part of the upper crust of society and living in fear of what the mythical thai upper/middle class think of them, then leave your shirt on, and continue to denounce other farang especially in front of thais to hammer home the point, that you're one of the "good farangs". Reasssure yourself it's going to earn you lots of respect amongst the Thai upper/middle classes. 

On the other hand, if you're from the new world and don't have snowflake like qualities when it comes to what other people  think, then feel free to remove your shirt when exercising in public. There is no law against it (unless you're female). In fact, I've been doing it for 15 years, and never had a problem.  Nor do I even remember any negative comments either. If you don't beleive me, then get out more. 

Funny, he puts down anyone who would have a different opinion than he does because he doesn t care what others think of him.   

2 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Thais don't do it so why should foreigners? Its called respect for ones hosts.

That is a good reason not to do it.. respect. 

Guess some people from a certain non class structured country have never heard about this. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is a good reason not to do it.. respect. 

Guess some people from a certain non class structured country have never heard about this. 

So go to a park and ask a random Thai person if they are "offended" when they see someone there doing muay thai, or takraw or lifting weights or jogging without a shirt on. 

Or is your entire knowledge of what thai people consider disrepectful just based around your conversations with other non-thai people?

15 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

I like to smear myself in chickens blood and dog excrement and go about my business, there is no law against it, I have been doing it for years and I dont care what other snowflakes think. Societies norms and practices dont apply to me, even though we do tend to wear clothes and have places where its considered appropriate or not. 

As a society, we tend to follow a couple of unwritten laws, its what separates us from the animals.

I tend not to fart openly in public, I'm a bit of a snowflake in that regard. I do appreciate the fact that the rest of society tend to do the same, even though its not against the law.

17 hours ago, simon43 said:

I maybe old-fashioned, but IMHO you should keep your shirt on, unless you are on the beach.

I was jogging in a park in Bangkok this morning. I didn't feel the urge to take off my shirt.

Why do you want to take off your shirt??

3 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

So go to a park and ask a random Thai person if they are "offended" when they see someone there doing muay thai, or takraw or lifting weights or jogging without a shirt on. 

Or is your entire knowledge of what thai people consider disrepectful just based around your conversations with other non-thai people?

You seem to have not much knowledge about Thai culture. People rarely complain (to avoid conflict) do you really think they would tell you if you were offending them (creating conflict). 

My knowledge of Thais has come from conversation and observation. My home borders a village park and I see plenty of people exercising there. NONE of the Thais ever go bare chest for exercise. I was told in general it is frowned upon with some exceptions of course as not everyone always thinks the same thing. 

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

A nun jogging in a habit and a veil, I swear, if you stay here long enough you'll see every possible combination of everything.

...or you'll just make things up.  Presumably the 'nun' was one of those Catholic nuns that are so common here as Buddhist nuns don't wear 'veils'.

Edited by Just Weird