Prawit ‘close to resigning’ amid scandal

webfact

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Is it not, then, an equally fair question to ask if Prawit's family was rich, or is that something that can't be considered because of your prejudice?

Yes that is a fair question of course, if the good sir is independently wealthy enough to afford the watches, it shouldn't be an issue. My point that we know Yingluck's family could probably buy Burberry lock stock, but we don't know the financial position of Prawit, only that he is a faithful servant of Thailand. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Yes that is a fair question of course, if the good sir is independently wealthy enough to afford the watches, it shouldn't be an issue. My point that we know Yingluck's family could probably buy Burberry lock stock, but we don't know the financial position of Prawit, only that he is a faithful servant of Thailand. 

"faithful servant of Thailand"

In most countries its considered high treason to take over a country by force.

12 hours ago, Just Weird said:

They have already been returned but perhaps the estate of his close friend allowed him to continue using the watches.

After he was seen wearing them publicly and became a matter of poblic interest. HE obviously thinks he was wrong if he is considering resigning.

I will go with his actions rather than your second guessing.

Edited by jacko45k

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I haven't defended him once as you would know if you had noticed that I use the qualification "so far" when commenting on the ongoing investigation that has found him guilty of nothing, so far.  What I have done is comment on the deliberately inaccurate observations, claims and accusations, not to mention the wild speculations that almost every poster here seems to take great delight in making.

"He also has a lot more explaining to do about his excessive wealth..."

That's an example of what I mean.  He doesn't have any explaining to do unless an investigation is started about that and so far that hasn't happened.  Prawit has no obligation at all to disclose his wealth, nor explain it, until he leaves office and even then he only has to explain any increases that happened during the time he was in office.

Oh really? Wealth beyond his income levels? If he has nothing to hide let him come clean instead of trotting out 'lame excuses'. Why cannot the Thai people ask how he has acquired such 'wealth'? He is a Deputy PM and should be beyond reproach when acting on behalf of his people. But, then again perhaps he has only been acting on behalf of his 'cronies' within this feudal system? 

Your comment "..unless an investigation has started..." is a bit like the Police not taking action over a 'criminal' offence (despite the offence having been recorded on video) because no one complained! Better to seek ways how something can be done rather than excuses why it cannot be done.

In a land of gross corruption, cronyism and elitism why do you seem (and I might add another TV poster or two) so defensive about what the current rulers do? Related? Rose coloured glasses? :whistling:

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

After he was seen wearing them publicly and became a matter of poblic interest. HE obviously thinks he was wrong if he is considering resigning.

I really wouldn’t bother with this guy. 

Read the drivel he puts on the Bangkok Post. Same line again and again; ‘the investigation is ongoing’. 

It’s the same mentality of the Deputy PM. “I don’t have to explain anything. It’s up for the NACC to explain. Not me”. Zero <deleted> given about being public figure number 2. 

The deputy PM has done nothing to ease any concerns of the public. Even when he was asked if he’d submitted another report for the watches more recently found, he nonchalantly replied, “I don’t know”. Like, why should he know. It’s not his problem anymore. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure if he is indeed thinking of resigning; doesn't seem to be something he would do.

The whole article is based on a comment by K. Pridiyathorn Devakula that this is what he would do if he was in K. Prawit's situation.

And, IMO, this is an easy comment for him to make as he is not (currently) in the same position..................:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I really wouldn’t bother with this guy. 

Read the drivel he puts on the Bangkok Post. Same line again and again; ‘the investigation is ongoing’. 

It’s the same mentality of the Deputy PM. “I don’t have to explain anything. It’s up for the NACC to explain. Not me”. Zero <deleted> given about being public figure number 2. 

The deputy PM has done nothing to ease any concerns of the public. Even when he was asked if he’d submitted another report for the watches more recently found, he nonchalantly replied, “I don’t know”. Like, why should he know. It’s not his problem anymore. 

Your last paragraph refers.

He is near the top of the food chain, so why should he have to be truthful or caring - he cannot do either and he has selective memory loss also. OMG. :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Oh, yes. 'The investigation'.

But it does matter. He should have come out from day one with assurances. He also should have said he'd borrowed many other watches. But being so arrogant, he thought he could just swat his hand and it would all be over. No one would dare question him further. Now he has 25 watches to account for (and we'll probably see more in the future).

If it were me, and I backed a coup of my country saying one of the big reasons was because corruption, well, I wouldn't be wearing expensive watches in any capacity. And even if I genuinely did borrow all 25 (hard to say that with a straight face) I'd resign in embarrassment for being so stupid. How could I have been so stupid to be going around in public with such expensive watches. How utterly vulgar and crass. I've been a right div and I deserve the wrath of the public. 

Can't stand the heat........jog on. 

investigation 555

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You do not have to point out anything for me, believe me. 

He was given 30 days in which to provide an explanation to the NACC which he did and no one, apart from the NACC, knows how many days he took because that has not been made public.

Well, I don't believe you as you have clearly shown a propensity for missing the obvious.

He was given 30 days and has played coy with the public even though a perfectly innocent and rational explanation exists for his astonishing display of wrist wealth? What did he gain by that except massive and steadily increasing condemnation??

Tell me, are you and steven100 members of the same junta Kool-Aid club?

9 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

His financial position is known, roughly, from his declaration of assets when took his current position and, roughly, he is minted.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My second guessing?  That's rich coming from you!

9 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

General Prawit Wongsuwan is the son of the late Major General Prasert Wongsuwan. He had  four younger brothers, Senator Admiral Sithawat Wongsuwan,  Police General Patcharawat Wongsuwan , Phanpong Wongsuwan  and football manager Pongphan Wongsuwan (deceased).

He has been President of the National Olympic Comittee of Thailand, President of the Thai swimming Association and Comander in Chief of the Royal Thai Army.   In 2008, Prawit declared assets of 57 million baht. In his 2014 declaration, his assets had risen to 87 million baht.  

Bangkok Post 

The value of the 25 watches in question is 40 million baht with none of them being declared on his 2014 declaration.

Very few people would put nearly half of their total assets into watches.

Edited by isaanbanhou

5 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Oh really? Wealth beyond his income levels? If he has nothing to hide let him come clean instead of trotting out 'lame excuses'. Why cannot the Thai people ask how he has acquired such 'wealth'? He is a Deputy PM and should be beyond reproach when acting on behalf of his people. But, then again perhaps he has only been acting on behalf of his 'cronies' within this feudal system? 

Your comment "..unless an investigation has started..." is a bit like the Police not taking action over a 'criminal' offence (despite the offence having been recorded on video) because no one complained! Better to seek ways how something can be done rather than excuses why it cannot be done.

In a land of gross corruption, cronyism and elitism why do you seem (and I might add another TV poster or two) so defensive about what the current rulers do? Related? Rose coloured glasses? :whistling:

He is not being asked anything about his wealth, he is being asked specifically about the watches but it does seem that some people have never come across the notion of inheritance or successful investment.  You do know that Prawit made an asset disclosure when he took office and will have to make another when he leaves? 

One's assets do not have to correspond directly to one's current wages.  Of course people can ask about his wealth but unless he is being investigated for unusual wealth, which, so far, he is not, he is under no obligation to discuss it with anyone, particularly the man in the street.  Which affluent people ever do discuss their wealth with the idly curious? 

"...why do you seem (and I might add another TV poster or two) so defensive about what the current rulers do?"

If you actually bothered to look at the wording of my posts  and some of the bizarre comments made by other posters you'd see that I was not defending him at all.  It's called having an opinion about something, just like you and another TV poster or two have.  Perhaps your opinion is the only one that counts and the only one that should be aired here?

23 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Minted from a family of civil servants. Good for a laugh.

If it was so funny why did you not make a complaint and demand an investigation into him at the time that he last declared his assets.  That would have made more sense than that comment today, years later?

9 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

If it was so funny why did you not make a complaint and demand an investigation into him at the time that he last declared his assets.  That would have made more sense than that comment today, years later?

Some guys love to run and make a complaint.  Often they are married to the daughter of an alleged high ranking military officer.  To these men the feeling of power and invincibility overtakes their rather shallow personalities.  I have met a couple of these manchilds,online only of course as they spend most of their time either bragging of their superiority or licking the boots of their alleged high ranking military officer father in law

Edited by isaanbanhou

4 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Some guys love to run and make a complaint.  Often they are married to the daughter of an alleged high ranking military officer.  To these men the feeling of power and invincibility overtakes their rather shallow personalities.  I have met a couple of these manchilds,online only of course as they spend most of their time either bragging of their superiority or licking the boots of their alleged high ranking military officer father in law

I'm sure that you must know what that means, I don't.

13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I'm sure that you must know what that means, I don't.

I have no idea what he means. But I'm beginning to agree with you, Just Weird. 

People have said that he borrowed the watches from a now deceased friend. I think 'that's only according to speculation. So far. Prawit has not said that publicly'

Other people have asked why he didn't give an explanation sooner. I think 'he did provide that explanation, and he provided it within the stipulated time frame given by the NACC'

Would you agree with me? I have more examples of how we might be on the same page. 

Edited by rkidlad

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I have no idea what he means. But I'm beginning to agree with you, Just Weird. 

People have said that he borrowed the watches from a now deceased friend. I think 'that's only according to speculation. So far. Prawit has not said that publicly'

Other people have asked why he didn't give an explanation sooner. I think 'he did provide that explanation, and he provided it within the stipulated time frame given by the NACC'

Would you agree with me? I have more examples of how we might be on the same page. 

In this instance I would agree with you, yes.