VPN server configuration in new tot Fiber ZTE Router ?

Sandman77

Hello! 2 days ago I got my old dsl modem replaced by new Fiber 100 MBit ! ZTE. Router , now I want set up a vpn server directly into the router , that I can use my Amazon fire tv prime video USB stick and my sky ip box. On the underside of the ZTE router I did not find any login details can someone explain how to setup vpn into the router where I should signup ? A quick port scan says that most ports are closed can tot disable the firewall with remote access over the hotline ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My Neighbor had ToT fiber installed recently,they gave him a "totolink" router

web page  @  192.168.1.1    username  admin  

password *********     8 numbers 1 letter 

which was written on the installation receipt  it might even be the customer number ?

that password is also the PPPoE password      *********@fttxhome

2 hours ago, Sandman77 said:

can someone explain how to setup vpn into the router where I should signup ? A quick port scan says that most ports are closed can tot disable the firewall with remote access over the hotline ?

While you should be able to access the new fiber router's setup (as the other's have described above), most residential routers --and especially those provided by the Internet Provider themselves-- don't have VPN options.

If you had some special setting on your old aDSL modem that allowed your "Amazon fire tv prime video USB stick and my sky ip box" to work (possibly using special DNS entries) you should be able to duplicate *that* on your new router.

Otherwise, you'll need to add a second router (that has built-in VPN option as part of the firmware) and connect it to your new existing router and set up VPN in that.

• 2 weeks later...

The wifi strenth of this new ZTE Fiber router is terrible the signal interrupts and disappear on my iPhone in my kitchen 20 meter away from router with old tp link router always full signal before .. I recognise the 100 MBit in internet national download still cannot use full 300 MB open office download need half hour

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

You need a router that supports being a VPN CLIENT - not a server.

If your router is the cable one that came with your package, it will almost certainly NOT have any vpn client capability whatsoever.

Best to get your cable interent connection provider to set your router in to bridge mode ( as they probably disable this ability to do it yourself, or the router is so sh1tty anyway...) and buy a separate decent wifi router - most Asus routers DO have vpn client capability, so you can then input your vpn username and password etc etc, and then ALL devices connecitng through that router will use the VPN connection ( and the Asus router will have much better wifi, especially 5gHz).

ps see you've already discovered just how sh1tty those zte routers are for wifi strength and speeds... you can turn off that router wifi and connect an Asus router for wifi and VPN client  - is best to get the zte router set to bridge mode if possible.)

Edited by coops