not allowed on the airport to enter by tourist visa.

7 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

P.S. OP, why is it such a problem to state your country of birth, or where the passport was issued? 

Maybe because the OP is either at the detention room or on an international flight?

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, there's a russian coat of arms on his passport so the country is RUSSIA.

Edited by SicTransit
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SicTransit said:

Maybe because the OP is either at the detention room or on an international flight?

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, there's a russian coat of arms on his passport so the country is RUSSIA.

Without trying to be impolite, it pretty much looks like it. But why would somebody NOT tell you where he/she's from? Attached is a copy of a Russian one from Google. 

Russian p[aasprt Google.jpg

36 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

More likely the Immigration Officers profiled him. e.g. Eastern European, early 30's, "must be working".

But what if they are completely wrong. What redress for all the extra expense can faeton expect? None, of course.

This is the problem. When a group of immigration officers take it upon themselves to guess and speculate with no evidence which holders of valid visas may enter and which may not, you can be sure that certain nationalites will be profiled, unfairly rejected and sent packing at their own expense.

It is the job of Immigration, the Tourist Police and the Labour Department to deal with illegal working in line with evidence and I fully support them in that.

If they don't want under-50 financially independent people living here on tourist visas, then they should stop selling them.

Of course it had nothing to do with the amount of Tourist visas or visa exempt he had in his passport at all it must just be a Thai immigration problem. 

2 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Of course it had nothing to do with the amount of Tourist visas or visa exempt he had in his passport at all it must just be a Thai immigration problem. 

Actually, I was planning to get 1 or two visa-exempt entries later on this year. Now I'm thinking, should I rather stick to tourist visas? Are alternating visa stickers and visa-exempt entries frowned upon by IOs at Don Muang, I mean is only one category of entries advisable?

I really hate to be speculating here but since the OP is not available to comment himself, I approximated from his limited posting history that he has accumulated about a year's worth of visa exempts which understandably raised questions.

Edited by SicTransit
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Actually, I was planning to get 1 or two visa-exempt entries later on this year. Now I'm thinking, should I rather stick to tourist visas? Are alternating visa stickers and visa-exempt entries frowned upon by IOs at Don Muang, I mean is only one category of entries advisable?

You could error on the side of being cautious and assuming the worst case scenario but is that really where we're at now? I don't know. A few months ago in Mae Sai the friendly immigration official said I could get 2 VE entries since my last visit to my home country. I don't trust him because his words are at odds with the written law but what what choice do I have? It's all a big gamble these days and we need to at least prepare for the worst and have a plan B if things go south.

• Like 2

So it's been 9 pages now I still can't understand what the verdict is with this case. Do we have a Russian who was profiled after having 2 + 2 tourist visas from KL and Laos respectively or is there some other background we're missing? Are we to believe that 4 back to TV's is a sure way to get banned at the airport?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Having a valid visa issued by a Thai consulate and then being rejected by Thai immigration sums up the madness

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Most countries advise that a visa issued by one of their consulates does not guarantee entry into a country. It is always at the discretion of the immigration officer at the point of entry. It is not just a Thai thing.

The immigration at the airport were following the laws.  If you check you will fond that if there is an issue you can be refused even if you have a valid visa.  Most immigration sections are stashed at embassies with local staff that are not always thorough.

The OP says

"I have several tourist visas in a row."

Ubonjoe quoted Section 12 (2) of the 1979 Immigration Act

"Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom."

Maybe he needs proof of income because he has so many tourist stamps that immigration wants to know where his actual income is coming from. Not the 20,000 but income because he has lived in Thailand for so long.

• Like 2

My daughter with husband and 2 Kids (10 and 12 years) will visit me in Thailand.

A and D passports, arrive Suvarnabhumi: Visa exempt entry.

Cash 20 K for adults - OK - but what about children ???

Who knows ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hadi8253 said:

My daughter with husband and 2 Kids (10 and 12 years) will visit me in Thailand.

A and D passports, arrive Suvarnabhumi: Visa exempt entry.

Cash 20 K for adults - OK - but what about children ???

Who knows ?

20000 THB per family for Visa exempt. Thanks god, kids are not expected to carry a few thousand baht in their little wallets.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Ubonjoe, there is a article in the Samui Times dated today about new visa regulations causing a headache for non immigration expats.

Maybe some of this could be the reason for the OP entry refusal. I was going to copy it but I was not sure if you would allow it so maybe if you look at it and see what you think about posting it

I don't see any harm to copy and paste the web site of the article.

Here it is:

http://www.samuitimes.com/new-visa-regulations-causing-headache-non-immigrant-expats/

DON"T PANIC...

It seems that the article in question is over 3 years old according to some comments  there:

"This is an article from 2014! Follow phuket times link in article to verify this!" 

2014 Saturday, May 10, 2014     1 time in year 

+

listed date in article.

"This article is woefully out of date - written in 2014."

Edited by bttao

6 hours ago, canerandagio said:

No need to spend money on retirement visa... it's the cheapest way I know of to get 1 year in the country. I mean the Non-Immigrant O, not the O-A. 2,000 baht plus extension 3 months later if you do a conversion of your tourist visa.

But - as someone said - you need to be 50, or you can abandon this option...

Don't you also need to be married to a Thai?

19 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Don't you also need to be married to a Thai?

If you are married to a Thai you need 400,000 k in  your bank account and you can get a spouse visa at any age.  If you are over 50 you need 800,000k in your account (or a pension of 65k monthly) and you can get a retirement visa without being married.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

If you are married to a Thai you need 400,000 k in  your bank account and you can get a spouse visa at any age.  If you are over 50 you need 800,000k in your account (or a pension of 65k monthly) and you can get a retirement visa without being married.

Are you sure you are not confusing the O visa and the O-A visa ?

7 hours ago, canerandagio said:

No need to spend money on retirement visa... it's the cheapest way I know of to get 1 year in the country. I mean the Non-Immigrant O, not the O-A. 2,000 baht plus extension 3 months later if you do a conversion of your tourist visa.

You are incorrect about this. A Non-Immigrant "O" visa will give you 90 days but you must apply for an extension at the end of the 90 days if you want to stay longer and there is only 2 extensions available 1: Retirement (he is under 50 so not apply) 2: Marriage (he needs to be married to a Thai National to be able to apply for this one).

Ubonjoe might correct me on this if I'm wrong but the original Non-Immigrant "O" 90 day visa must be applied for outside of Thailand (I was sent to Vientiane, Loas) but the renewals are done inside Thailand

7 hours ago, canerandagio said:

You are incorrect about this. A Non-Immigrant "O" visa will give you 90 days but you must apply for an extension at the end of the 90 days if you want to stay longer and there is only 2 extensions available 1: Retirement (he is under 50 so not apply) 2: Marriage (he needs to be married to a Thai National to be able to apply for this one).

Ubonjoe might correct me on this if I'm wrong but the original Non-Immigrant "O" 90 day visa must be applied for outside of Thailand (I was sent to Vientiane, Loas) but the renewals are done inside Thailand.

I don't think the OP qualifies for either the retirement or the marriage extensions.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Having a valid visa issued by a Thai consulate and then being rejected by Thai immigration sums up the madness

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

well, several countries do similar things.  One of the Televsion shows I found entertaining was that show about the Australian border police and the airport.  Many people had the pre approved online electronic visa in advance, then bought tickets and flew to Australia.  Then for various reasons sometimes the border folks there don't let them in.  some reasons were clearly valid, the people had drugs on them, illegal goods etc.  Others far less clear.  The point is having a visa in advance is not always allowed in.  Now a reasonable person should expect that if an embassy and its immigration folks issue the tourist visa, you should be allowed in.  Or the Embassy should have done more diligence and warned the man that it may not be allowed.  Others may think, you understood the risks and went through with it.

8 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Technically you are wrong, legally a tourist cannot buy and register a vehicle in their own name.

Land Transport Office requirements for the transfer of registration of a vehicle plus requirements for a Thai drivers license:

• Passport
  • Non-immigrant visa
  • Work permit or your certificate/letter of residence issued by the Thai immigration or a Thai Embassy.

Hmmmmm  I have a Motorcycle and no Thai Visa, came in on a Visa Exempt  -  The Motorcycle came with the Condo I bought, changed ownership legally, have the papers in my name.   Where did you get the above info???, the only thing I have above is a passport...........OH almost forgot, I don't have a Thai Drivers license yet either, have an IDP and a license from my home state Hawaii.........just saying

Edited by TunnelRat69

5 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Hmmmmm  I have a Motorcycle and no Thai Visa, came in on a Visa Exempt  -  The Motorcycle came with the Condo I bought, changed ownership legally, have the papers in my name.   Where did you get the above info???, the only thing I have above is a passport...........just saying

I have 1 bike and a pick up that was registered in Udon Thani and I have a new secondhand pick up that was registered in Khon Kaen and at both LTO I had to produce Passport with my Non-imm "O" visa and residence certificate.

Also had to produce the same for my Thai drivers license at Khon Kaen

Edited by Russell17au

3 hours ago, genericptr said:

So it's been 9 pages now I still can't understand what the verdict is with this case. Do we have a Russian who was profiled after having 2 + 2 tourist visas from KL and Laos respectively or is there some other background we're missing? Are we to believe that 4 back to TV's is a sure way to get banned at the airport?

Yes, Yes, and Yes

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I would go by train to Pedang Besar and enter there.  No problem if you have 20K Baht worth of cash to show.  They actually obey the laws they are sworn to enforce at all land borders except the Poipet/Aranyaprathet checkpoint.

And leave half of that 20k with the one who stamps your entry :biggrin:

23 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

I would go by train to Pedang Besar and enter there.  No problem if you have 20K Baht worth of cash to show.  They actually obey the laws they are sworn to enforce at all land borders except the Poipet/Aranyaprathet checkpoint.

LOL. I remember using that border years ago, (one Thai? guy) coming with a huge pack of differently-coloured passports, each filled with banknotes for smoother procedure, no other travellers in sight...

Edited by StayinThailand2much