not allowed on the airport to enter by tourist visa.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Technically you are wrong, legally a tourist cannot buy and register a vehicle in their own name.

Land Transport Office requirements for the transfer of registration of a vehicle plus requirements for a Thai drivers license:

• Passport
  • Non-immigrant visa
  • Work permit or your certificate/letter of residence issued by the Thai immigration or a Thai Embassy.

Little outdated too, it should be not the "Thai Embassy" it must be the foreign Embassy in Thailand , or where you can find a Thai embassy inside Thailand?  The other exception is now, not all Thai immigration center certify you for a letter of residence.... As example CM.

seem it was copied from :

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/vehicle-ownership/buying-selling-cars

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Can you post a link to that regulation. As far as I I know here is no visa requirement to buy a car.

He is right,  we've bought a new vehicle last October and we were told without non-immi visa you can NOT register it anymore to your name. The said dealer explained without the Visa, and WP he is not anymore able to register it, it changed middle last year, he added.

The only way to own the vehicle as a tourist is, you done it before the change. Before any kind of visa was accepted.

• Like 1

Things are changing with immigration, including border runs by land, border runs by air, immigration alerts being issued.

Here is a response about the new visa regulations causing a headache for non-immigrant expats.

Kevin Parratt ·

Don Muang Immigration is now cracking down. My passport has always been in order, with never as much as an hour over stay, ever. But last year I had more than 180 days in total on 30-day stamps and full 60 day Tourist visas, and someone has triggered an alert on my history, which now pops up on the screen. The officers have obviously been told to alert the supervisor when they see such alerts. I was hauled aside for an hour, and it took some convincing that I wasn't there for work. For what it's worth, I dress respectfully, & I'm 67.
Food for thought for you other old fellas!

I am waiting for Ubonjoe to let me know if I can post the full article that this is a comment from

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:
I am waiting for Ubonjoe to let me know if I can post the full article that this is a comment from

What you wrote is only hearsay. There is no such rule.

The alert only comes up when a person reaches 6 visa exempt entries not tourist visa entries. It is only informs the officer to check the types of visa exempt entries they are to see if a person is attempting to live here on them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dmitry2222 said:

Actually officer did not let me know why he wanted to rejected me. However, i was persistent, showed marriage documents and the problem was resolved with higher rank officer.

You were just very lucky.  A query research would easily detect you, and the officer who let you in. Prepare for a marriage visa or anything other, it definitive will be rejected in very close future.

24 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I am waiting for Ubonjoe to get back to me about an article that I have found before I post it on here

A quick google search revealed that the article is one year old and is about border runs crackdown. They also seem to be using visa and visa exempt interchangeably, which is grossly incorrect. It also said "visa runs by air will be prohibited from August 12th [2017]" but your guess about where did that come from is as good as mine.

8 minutes ago, blubb said:

You were just very lucky.  A query research would easily detect you, and the officer who let you in. Prepare for a marriage visa or anything other, it definitive will be rejected in very close future.

Funny that you are replying not to the OP but to the guy who had problems entering on a marriage visa exactly. Care to shine some light on who and why would perform this "query research" and the possible legal ground for "definite rejection" you mention?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

What stamps did immigration put in your passport? What additional papers do you have a copy of? Please scan and post a copy of your tourist visa, plus the above (after obscuring any personally identifiable information) and we can at least know what the official reason for the denied entry might be. Immigration is allowed, under guidelines issued in 2014, to deny entry to those with multiple visa exempt entries, but there is no way under Section 12 of the Immigration Act to do so with people entering with visas issued at consulates.

I've got consultation with one of the thais who have someone works imigration at Suvarnabhumi airport. And  stamp says in my passport  that "Person not have money to stay in Kingdom of Thailand". And now that information in all database in any border.  (Them simply check at Suvarnabhumi).  I say that i show them money more than 20.000 thb. 

"They know you have money. But they think you work in Thailand but not have evidence . So can write only dint have money ka"

And after that  in any border will be 95% impossible. Or  100% possible after 6 month of last visit. 
The way to get back is just make clear passport and enter without any problems.

Note that it is actually interesting that Kuala Lumpur issued you a tourist visa if you have several previous Thai tourist visas. A couple of years ago, this would have been unlikely. I would also be interested if they also gave a "red stamp" with "This person travels frequently to Thailand on tourist visas ...".

That was a second visa from KL. In my passport was 2 from Vietnam and then 2 from KL. 

So stay KL  a night or couple of nights  - anyway  it is weekend)  :smile: go buy some warm clothes))) Flight to my country, make a new express passport in 5 days, and just flight back. 

For information how them do in Don Mueng  if someone interesting:

Them stop you at immigration.

check that you have many stamps or visas before.

Then send you to special room with middle officers.

Them print all list of borders when you go in-out.

check and mark dates.

calculate that it is more then 180 days.

Say that you cant go in to thailand before next 6 month.

ask you about your job

ask you to show money.

Then say that :) "Them not belive you" 

and send you to main officers.)

Them make a lot of copies of passport etc.

Then (i was very unlucky because my flight to bangkok arrive at 11 pm)  tell you to buy a ticket to the last country you come from. For me it was Malaysia KL.

After that put you to special room for you can wait your flight (its just room with many beds). Charge you for that 600 thb. :)

(so cant smoke cigarets, go in out etc). 
In my situation at the morning some security staff come to take you to your flight. 

Put you to the airplane and when you arrive to your country  flight attendants give your passport back.:smile:

EDIT: Looking back at older posts you made in 2015, I note that, at that time, you referred to a "visa exempt entry" as a "visa". If you were, in fact, denied when trying to enter "visa exempt", you should be able to enter by land (but only twice in a calendar year). Better would be to apply for a visa (perhaps, in Kota Bharu).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Faeton said:

I've got consultation with one of the thais who have someone works imigration at Suvarnabhumi airport. And  stamp says in my passport  that "Person not have money to stay in Kingdom of Thailand". And now that information in all database in any border.  (Them simply check at Suvarnabhumi).  I say that i show them money more than 20.000 thb. 

"They know you have money. But they think you work in Thailand but not have evidence . So can write only dint have money ka"

And after that  in any border will be 95% impossible. Or  100% possible after 6 month of last visit. 

That was a second visa from KL. In my passport was 2 from Vietnam and then 2 from KL. 

So stay KL  a night or couple of nights  - anyway  it is weekend)  :smile: go buy some warm clothes))) Flight to my country, make a new express passport in 5 days, and just flight back. 

For information how them do in Don Mueng  if someone interesting:

Them stop you at immigration.

check that you have many stamps or visas before.

Then send you to special room with middle officers.

Them print all list of borders when you go in-out.

check and mark dates.

calculate that it is more then 180 days.

Say that you cant go in to thailand before next 6 month.

ask you about your job

ask you to show money.

Then say that :) "Them not belive you" 

and send you to main officers.)

Them make a lot of copies of passport etc.

Then (i was very unlucky because my flight to bangkok arrive at 11 pm)  tell you to buy a ticket to the last country you come from. For me it was Malaysia KL.

After that put you to special room for you can wait your flight (its just room with many beds). Charge you for that 600 thb. :)

(so cant smoke cigarets, go in out etc). 
In my situation at the morning some security staff come to take you to your flight. 

Put you to the airplane and when you arrive to your country  flight attendants give your passport back.:smile:

In what country was your passport issued? 

1 hour ago, Faeton said:

I do not think the immigration computer is wiped because you get a new passport from your country. The issue is not so much the stamp in your passport. It is that immigration record that the immigration official at any border crossing will see.

By the way, although a long period back in your home country will help, since you are not blacklisted, I would expect you could return now with 20,000 baht equivalent cash plus evidence of income from outside Thailand. It is probably true that the official you ran into suspected illegal working, (and if illegal working had been the official reason, I think entry would have been very difficult) but that was not the reason stamped into your passport or entered into the immigration computer.

Edited by BritTim

1 hour ago, blubb said:

Little outdated too, it should be not the "Thai Embassy" it must be the foreign Embassy in Thailand , or where you can find a Thai embassy inside Thailand?  The other exception is now, not all Thai immigration center certify you for a letter of residence.... As example CM.

seem it was copied from :

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/vehicle-ownership/buying-selling-cars

He is right,  we've bought a new vehicle last October and we were told without non-immi visa you can NOT register it anymore to your name. The said dealer explained without the Visa, and WP he is not anymore able to register it, it changed middle last year, he added.

The only way to own the vehicle as a tourist is, you done it before the change. Before any kind of visa was accepted.

He is wrong. I personally registered a vehicle on a tourist visa in August at Chonburi (Meuang) Land Transport.

The problem is that some immigration offices will not issue the required certificate of residence to Tourist Visa holders. If that is the case, get the more expensive letter from one's embassy.

• Like 1

Getting a new passport isn't going to make the slightest difference regarding your visa/entry/denial history to Thailand. Your new passport and history will be linked the first time it is swiped at the airport. Its not only Airports, ports and land crossings that have access to your history. Immigration offices in the country have access to the same database. I have personally seen all mine going back 2 passports worth at Jomtien Immigration. We could of gone back further if I had wanted too.
You simply cannot hide your history. If you could, you would have every Terrorist in the world and people banned from countries simply getting a new passport.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

He is wrong. I personally registered a vehicle on a tourist visa in August at Chonburi (Meuang) Land Transport.

The problem is that some immigration offices will not issue the required certificate of residence to Tourist Visa holders. If that is the case, get the more expensive letter from one's embassy.

Well, it looks like the Land Transport Offices are the same as the Immigration offices and they have different rules for each office. Some you must have your non-imm visa and others you don't.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JLCrab said:

From the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website:

10.  Royal Thai Embassies and Royal Thai Consulates-General have the authority to issue visas to foreigners for travel to Thailand.  The authority to permit entry and stay in Thailand, however, is with the immigration officers.  In some cases, the immigration officer may not permit foreigner holding a valid visa entry into Thailand should the immigration officer find reason to believe that he or she falls into the category of aliens prohibited from entering Thailand under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

-- and then as UJoe and others noted:

(2)  Having no appropriate means of living following entry into the Kingdom.

So, did the OP show 20,000 baht, or not?

9 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Well, it looks like the Land Transport Offices are the same as the Immigration offices and they have different rules for each office. Some you must have your non-imm visa and others you don't.

I find it mind boggling that DLT offices could issue car registrations to tourists. Total incompetence. If you are a tourist and want to drive your go to Hertz, period.

19 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Getting a new passport isn't going to make the slightest difference regarding your visa/entry/denial history to Thailand

The question is how do they act on this history. There's been a few of stories in the last year alone of people being denied entry at one point and successfully entering in a few days on the same passport and visa.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

I find it mind boggling that DLT offices could issue car registrations to tourists. Total incompetence. If you are a tourist and want to drive your go to Hertz, period.

What's it gotta do with you? It's the law. You can't decide who can register a vehicle in their name and who can't. You need an identifying document (passport usually) and official address document (certificate of residence from immigration office usually). Even a visa exempt can do it!

What if I said that people on extensions of NON-immigrant visas, should not be able to  register a vehicle because they don't have permanent residence. You would be up in arms no doubt.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Actually - many do.  Under-50s not married to a Thai and with independent-income which means no need to work don't have many other stay-options, and the rules do not prohibit repeated stays on Tourist visas.

Many using Tourist stays have cars or motos in other nearby SEA countries, also.   Even though those countries offer sane options for under-50s for longer stays (money-in bank for the PI, "Buy a Visa" for ~$360/yr in Cambodia, 1-yr ME Tourist-Visa for Vietnam), they seem to find no reason to hassle or block repeat-tourists from spending money into their economies.  I wonder why Thailand is the outlier? 

I was talking the other day to a Thai airline captain and he couldn't understand the B/S that this Junta is placing  on Tourist visa, after all we do spend the money.

• Like 2

Maybe because he has so many stamps in his passport and he spends so much time in Thailand that they want to know where does he get his income from to be able to live here. I'm not talking about the 20,000 I am talking about his continual income. Maybe that is what is suspicious which makes them think he maybe working here.

8 minutes ago, chainarong said:

I was talking the other day to a Thai airline captain and he couldn't understand the B/S that this Junta is placing  on Tourist visa, after all we do spend the money.

It's not just the Junta, as this has been going on for the past 15+ years or so, under different governments and in different flavors...

As for me, I would like to thank Thailand for the opportunity to travel to other exciting countries in Asia, where I have the chance to spend my money in tourist-friendly environments, while giving nationalistic attitude (not to mention the 'x' word) and foreigner-unfriendly destinations in Thailand a miss.

19 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

right the fellow who started this thread didnt mention how he makes a livelihood here. the thais got smart to him end of story

Some people make enough money overseas to travel for long periods of time.

But of course, it's their country, and if tomorrow they were to build a wall around the country, cut off all phone and internet wires to the outside world, returning to a 18th-century lifestyle, or whatever, who would or could stop them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Nobody is wrong.

Not wanting to disagree, but there’s a law and there are regulations.

Foreigners, usually not having a Thai ID card and are not listed in anybody’s official household registration book usually need passport copies and the page which shows how long they're stamped in until.

In place of the household registration, you’ll need either a copy of your work permit or a certificate of residence from IO or from your consulate, or embassy. 

Laws are often stretchable as rubber and of course sometimes a bit different from province to province. I made my DL 15 years ago and paid 500 baht to the Immigration in Pattaya ( god forgive me!) for having my hotel address as my permanent address in my license.

It’s still the primary address and nobody seems to want to change it and I “live with it”. 

P.S. OP, why is it such a problem to state your country of birth, or where the passport was issued? 

Edited by jenny2017

8 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

He will still have a denial of entry stamp in the passport. 

Would there also be a notation in the computer system.  If the OP tries to use a land crossing would his airport rejection show up on the IO's screen when he scanned the passport?

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As written several times in this topic and othera there is no such regulation. rule or law.

Maybe this is where the 180 days come in.

This is from the current ThaiEmbassy.com website

Under the new provisions of the Visa Exemption Rule (VER), visitors can now come regularly to Thailand without limiting their stay within a total of 90 days in a six-month period. Just keep in mind that under the VER, you are allowed 30 days maximum on each visit.

The restriction has already been abolished so tourists can now visit Thailand as often as they want, provided that they obtain 30-day entry stamp at airports and 15-day entry stamp if they are traveling via land borders. Thai Immigration Laws are revised on a regular basis for the convenience of tourists. However, immigration officials still recommend getting visas prior to arrival in Thailand, as they remind visitors that back-to-back short visas are not the proper way to extend the stay in the country on a long-term basis.

So you have one paragraph contradicting the other.

Edited by Russell17au

18 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

This is the problem. When a group of immigration officers take it upon themselves to guess and speculate with no evidence which holders of valid visas may enter and which may not, you can be sure that certain nationalites will be profiled, unfairly rejected and sent packing at their own expense.

It is! Too many contradictory laws and regulations, often misunderstood or misinterpreted by individual IOs, that have too much leeway in their decisions. Who knows, maybe the OP was only rejected cause that particular IO was having a bad day, i.e. trouble with the mia noi, or a refused pay rise...

Following the rules is one thing, being part of 'a big gamble another'... Also, the people who are sneering: "I have an Elite Card", or "I have a Non 'O' Visa, so what do I care..."; who tells you that you are not next on the list of limitations? All it takes is a bored bureaucrat, coming up with a 'great idea', or someone limiting the benefits of the Elite Card...

• Like 1