not allowed on the airport to enter by tourist visa.

Anyone reading this in the op situation ( Assuming you are not working) probably best not to fly unless you have to, Savannakhet seems the safe bet at the moment.

Don't know what I will do if I want to go to Hong Kong or somewhere which I am thinking about.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Actually - many do.  Under-50s not married to a Thai and with independent-income which means no need to work don't have many other stay-options, and the rules do not prohibit repeated stays on Tourist visas.

Many using Tourist stays have cars or motos in other nearby SEA countries, also.   Even though those countries offer sane options for under-50s for longer stays (money-in bank for the PI, "Buy a Visa" for ~$360/yr in Cambodia, 1-yr ME Tourist-Visa for Vietnam), they seem to find no reason to hassle or block repeat-tourists from spending money into their economies.  I wonder why Thailand is the outlier? 

I am sure we are talking in the eyes of an Immigration officer. Not your own opinion.
Tourist Visa, means that you come to a country as a tourist. That hardly do not qualify for owning a car or having a permanent adress in a house you buildt during the last 5 years, right?

Edited by Get Real

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

You are incorrect about this. A Non-Immigrant "O" visa will give you 90 days but you must apply for an extension at the end of the 90 days if you want to stay longer and there is only 2 extensions available 1: Retirement (he is under 50 so not apply) 2: Marriage (he needs to be married to a Thai National to be able to apply for this one).

Ubonjoe might correct me on this if I'm wrong but the original Non-Immigrant "O" 90 day visa must be applied for outside of Thailand (I was sent to Vientiane, Loas) but the renewals are done inside Thailand.

I don't think the OP qualifies for either the retirement or the marriage extensions.

Hi Russell,

I'll answer you point by point:

1 - You say I am incorrect and provide the amended version of what I said: 'A non-immigrant O visa will give you 90 days but you must apply for an extension."

It may not have come through clearly, but that's exactly what I had said: 'you pay 2000, you get 90 days and then you ask for an extension'.

2 - There is only 2 extensions available, you say, and neither apply to the OP. That's fine - assuming that the OP is under 50 - but my response was referring to a specific response to the OP,  not to the OP himself. The post said - and I quoted it - "spend some money and get a retirement visa". I replied saying... "you don't need money as the visa is only 2000 but you need to be 50, which may be a problem".

Clearly I wasn't clear :)

3 - You do not have to apply for the non-O outside of Thailand. I have done this myself converting a simple tourist visa in non-O. I don't have the slightest doubt about it, and UbonJoe might even recall the conversation about 9 months ago. If you are not convinced I will go and fish out the thread where all this is explained. It's a fact, which I have experienced directly... gone to immigration, paid 2000, produced the required forms and a 2 weeks later I had the visa.

Here it is:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/975064-tourist-visa-into-retirement-visa/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-11842333

Cheers,

straydog

Edited by canerandagio
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

Are you sure you are not confusing the O visa and the O-A visa ?

I am absolutely certain I am talking about non-Immigrant O visa, as I have one and I have obtained it converting a tourist visa into a non-O for the purpose of retirement. I had to provide bank statements, letters and pay 2000 baht to get the 90 day non-O which I then extended by a year at the cost of 1,900 baht.

If you have a firm interest in this I will go and fish out the thread where I posted all the information about 9 months ago.

Edited by canerandagio

46 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I am sure we are talking in the eyes of an Immigration officer. Not your own opinion.
Tourist Visa, means that you come to a country as a tourist. That hardly do not qualify for owning a car or having a permanent adress in a house you buildt during the last 5 years, right?

Tourists in your country aren't buying cars and property then?

Entering another`s country is a privilige not a right. 

Try entering America for over 180 days in a year. 

I know retired people who own a home in the USA worth over $500,000 and it doesn t make a difference.  And they don `t do much more than shop and golf.  

I wonder how the OP would feel about tourists living in his country year round.

Edited by isaanbanhou

9 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I have 1 bike and a pick up that was registered in Udon Thani and I have a new secondhand pick up that was registered in Khon Kaen and at both LTO I had to produce Passport with my Non-imm "O" visa and residence certificate.

Also had to produce the same for my Thai drivers license at Khon Kaen

I registered my motorbike on my name last year in Udon Thani. They didn't care about what type of visa i had (was a visa exempt). Some immigration offices issue a certificate of residence only if you have a non immigrant visa, but in Udon Thani you get a certificate of residence with a visa exempt.

• Like 1

Just now, wazzupnow said:

if your passport is poluted by to many tourist visa stamps

loose it!!!!

get a new 1 from your embassy this is a lot cheaper than all this thai emigration bullshit

no thai ever checks anything only stamps

This may be the best advice in the whole thread.

3 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

loose it!!!!

No need to lose it. Just apply for a new one. You passport does not have to be lost or expired to apply for a new one.

11 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

loose it!!!!

get a new 1 from your embassy this is a lot cheaper than all this thai emigration bullshit

no thai ever checks anything only stamps

Thought they looked at their PC screen to show stuff related to PP details regarding LOS.....

2 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

maybe your country but  my country checks expiry date , no police rapport no passport

if expiring is in less than a year i get it

longer i do not get it without police rapport

You may be from one of the few in the world that has that requirement.

Most others if you are willing to pay the fee for a new one they will issue it.

What happens if your passport gets full? Would they issue one in that case.?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Thought they looked at their PC screen to show stuff related to PP details regarding LOS.....

Getting a new passport eliminates previous visa stickers since consulates only look for them in the passport since there is not other way to see them.

A new passport does not erase immigrations records of entries and etc since they will link the old and new passport when it the new one is first used for entry.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Getting a new passport eliminates previous visa stickers since consulates only look for them in the passport since there is not other way to see them.

A new passport does not erase immigrations records of entries and etc since they will link the old and new passport when it the new one is first used for entry.

emigration records in thailand ? i do not think so

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a comment bringing politics into the discussion

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

So you could maybe trick the consulates in to giving you another visa but immigration at the border could then deny you? I was thinking of getting a new passport this summer when I go back home because I have 5 TV's from USA and this caused the so called visa service in Phnom Pen to not handle my passport for me.

Is that a good idea or does that make me look like a criminal trying to get away with something?

5 minutes ago, genericptr said:

So you could maybe trick the consulates in to giving you another visa but immigration at the border could then deny you? I was thinking of getting a new passport this summer when I go back home because I have 5 TV's from USA and this caused the so called visa service in Phnom Pen to not handle my passport for me.

Is that a good ideaI or does that make me look like a criminal trying to get away with something?

I have 'lost' red booklets many times... for many reasons related to too many visa stamps, or too much travelling. Yes, you do have to consider that your name, date of birth and nationality would allow some immigration officer to track your past movements, but it's not the case always.

In the UK for example I made a formal request to see what information they had on me (not that I was up to anything dodgy, just curious) and they had absolutely nothing about my travels...

12 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

In the UK for example I made a formal request to see what information they had on me (not that I was up to anything dodgy, just curious) and they had absolutely nothing about my travels...

The UK does not record peoples in's and out's, it's know as freedom of movement.

They only check incoming foreigners have the relevant Visa or permission to enter the UK.

You cannot compare the Immigration policies of one Country with another, it's apples and pears.

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The UK does not record peoples in's and out's, it's know as freedom of movement.

They only check incoming foreigners have the relevant Visa or permission to enter the UK.

You cannot compare the Immigration policies of one Country with another, it's apples and pears.

Of course, you cannot compare. My example was to show that there are indeed pears and apples. 

27 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

nope checking if it is real, many passport fake in the world

remember the kao san road gang?

I fail to see what a fake passport has to do with Thailand's Immigration records.

You appear to be living in a world of denial, ignorance and stupidity regarding Thailand's Immigration policies and records.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Immigration normally do not pay that much attention to previous entries with a visa that they can see in their database. Six visa exempt entries triggers an alert to check your history of them.

Not seeing several pages of visa stickers even helps at immigration when entering the country.

33 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Is that a good idea or does that make me look like a criminal trying to get away with something?

Nothing wrong with doing it.  It will not make you look like a criminal.

• Like 1