Aussie dollar Thai baht

When I first came here 6 years ago, I was getting nearly 33 baht to the AUS $. After arriving to live 3 years ago it's never been above 27c and often around 25c. I see today it looks like the AUS $ is strong against the US $ at 80c. But the Thai Aus $ ex rate as bad as ever?
What is happening? Is the Thai baht just very strong and is there a reason for that? Normally a strong AUS US ex rate would mean a good AUS $ THB rate

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Damned scary is what is it. I have 10,000 baht less per month than last year.!  35 to 1....down to 31 to 1 today. USD

If this keeps up....I won't have enough left to live on here.

The USA must be a dirt cheap place to live.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Apparently Treasury Secy. Mr. Mnuchin is talking the dollar down

You can't talk the dollar down or up, the best you can do (and that is done by the FED) is to raise or lower interest rates which will impact the investment value of the US dollar 

Trump and his own brand of Goldman Sachs swamp dwellers don't control markets by press releases or interviews  and in case they haven't figured it out yet, they don't move the FED either 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Freeze said:

Thailands only income is tourism, so they artificially inflate the value of the baht .

As long as tourists keep coming thats all they worry about . 

You'd think they'd want it lower, to attract even more tourist. I'm sure with the AUD @ 30 would attract much more Aussies to come here than it would at 25 baht.

On top of this, prices have go up quite steady. Thailand is no longer the cheap holiday destination.

• Like 1

The value of any currency is basically supply and demand. More Australians want to buy Thai baht than Thais want to buy Australian dollars, more demand and the baht price goes up.

Australia has a demand for Baht, to come here on holiday, to buy cars, hardrives, air conditioners, cheap seafood at woolies etc, thats the demand that pushes the baht price up.

Besides a couple of well off thais and some gold imports, Thailand doesnt have much demand for Australian currency. Low demand and the Australian dollar price goes down.

18 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Damned scary is what is it. I have 10,000 baht less per month than last year.!  35 to 1....down to 31 to 1 today. USD

The current exchange rate makes the Aussie pension look rather sick!    :sick:

7 hours ago, Coconut007 said:

When powerful Khun needs to move money overseas the baht gets stronger

Exactly.

When looking at various economic indicators, the Baht is way overvalued (and comparing these indicators to those of other Asian and major countries); so, yes, when some powerful people wish to move money overseas, the relevant institution is encouraged to strengthen the Baht.

I don't know if people should divulge their income on the internet.

• Confused 1

Trump's  MECA  program (make expats cry again) ? 

Should have bought a lot of Thai Baht when it was at 33.  We did cos it was obvious it was never going to go any higher.  Made a lot of money out of it and brought some back to Australia when it dived to 25.  A good investment !!  But lucky too in hindsight as most investment ideas are,

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

When I first came here thw Euro was around 54....now around 38.

It never occurs to me to wonder...."Why".

I take life as it comes and only look for answers to questions if the knowledge can serve me in some way. In other words ...what's to be gained by knowing the answer?

the knowledge of why and what, the Junta is enjoying the baht being so high they can keep spending if Thai was being run by pollies the world would be demanding they devalue the baht, just have to hope it doesn't get much worse

19 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

YOU are not alone.

17 hours ago, BaanOz said:

Remember in the '90s it was around 17 baht to the AUS $

25 baht is great :D

I remember that too. But can you remember the little underground shop called Timmy opposite the Indra Hotel? There was something shifty going on there and you could get 19 baht for the Oz dollar. It was scary to go into with guys with guns standing around and you got locked in a room while the money was changed.

Same with the Pound, it has gained a lot over the US dollar recently but the Pound vs Baht rate has hardly changed. I think most western currencies are in the toilet due to the vast money printing that goes on. You can not print trillions of Dollars/Pounds/Euros and expect the currency to retain it's value.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Coconut007 said:

When powerful Khun needs to move money overseas the baht gets stronger

At the same time imported goods get more expensive

Thai economics 101 for dummies

You are the dummy. The Thai economy gets better, the Baht strengthens .But Thai bashers on this forum don't like this. They do everything to belttleThailand.

• Like 2