Re-entry Fees

Previously I had been coming to Thailand with a new Multiple Entry Visa based on Retirement because I just happened to be out of the country when my visa expired. However, last year I was still in Thailand so I obtained an extension of stay which cost 1900 baht. I assumed that this extension of stay would include the same terms as my original multi entry visa. However, in January this year I needed to travel to a ceremony abroad for 10 days. On my leaving the country by plane at Suvarnabhumi airport I was told by immigration that I needed a Re entry permit to return and was shuffled off to a different place to get one at a cost of 1000 baht plus 200 baht admin costs. Total cost 1200 baht. My extension of stay expires in the middle of February when I shall renew it at a cost of 1900 baht. Can anyone explain why I need a re entry permit if I leave Thailand for a short holiday? It strikes me that I may be better off timing my travels for when my extension of stay expires and return with a new Multiple Entry Visa. This would be cheaper if I travel often as is my intention.

The extension of stay you applied for requires a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you return. It is not the same as a multiple entry visa that allows more than one entry.

You can get a multiple re-entry permit for a fee of 3800 baht that allows unlimited entries up to the date your extension expires. Many people get them at the same time they apply for the extension.

I don't think you would save a lot of money by getting another multiple entry non-o visa since it would require you to leave the country every 90 days unless you got a OA visa.

200 baht "administration" fee is if you need to have your photos taken.

Anyhoo.... I was on extension of stay before and seriously it was too much hustle for me as I like to leave on short trips out of Thailand anyway a few times a year. I find that multi-o visa works out to be a better deal in the end for me plus my wife really hates taking a day off work and get drilled at immigration.

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

200 baht "administration" fee is if you need to have your photos taken.

Anyhoo.... I was on extension of stay before and seriously it was too much hustle for me as I like to leave on short trips out of Thailand anyway a few times a year. I find that multi-o visa works out to be a better deal in the end for me plus my wife really hates taking a day off work and get drilled at immigration.

I had a photo but it was not accepted. Don't know why.