Smoking ban at 24 beaches in 15 coastal provinces takes effect on Feb 1

rooster59

Smoking ban at 24 beaches in 15 coastal provinces takes effect on Feb 1

beach1.jpg

Starting February 1, Cha-am beach and 23 other popular tourist beaches in 15 coastal provinces will be declared no-cigarette zones and anyone caught smoking, littering cigarette butts or discard cigarette packets on these beaches will face one-year imprisonment and/or 100,000 baht in fine.

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources’ ban against smoking on the beaches was announced in the Royal Gazette on last Nov 2 and will become effective on Feb 1.

The department decided to impose strict measures against cigarette smoking and littering of cigarette butts and packets on the beaches in 15 coastal provinces after it was discovered that substantial amount of cigarette butts and discarded cigarette packets were among garbage littered on beaches.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/smoking-ban-at-24-beaches-in-15-coastal-provinces-takes-effect-on-feb-1/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-27

Where I agree with restricting smoking venues they can't be serious? OR should I just stick to drink driving, overstaying my visa and any number of more serious offenses. Much cheaper.

One word comes to mind and it starts with a W.

36 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

I confirm it's already effective on Jomtien beach, we can see ashtrays and smokers on the sidewalk at one meter along the beach.

And many Jomtien residents,singles and couples ,like to jog and exercise along the beach walk. So now especially in high season this walkway is going to be occupied by two to three times the number of these obnoxious cigarette smoking slobs.

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

And many Jomtien residents,singles and couples ,like to jog and exercise along the beach walk. So now especially in high season this walkway is going to be occupied by two to three times the number of these obnoxious cigarette smoking slobs.

I am a light smoker. I don't believe I am obnoxious or a slob. Can you enlighten me as to how you can determine a person's character traits simply because they enjoy a puff?

56 minutes ago, ebonykap said:

I am a light smoker. I don't believe I am 8obnoxious or a slob. Can you enlighten me as to how you can determine a person's character traits simply because they enjoy a puff?

By constuction: When nonsmokers have to breath this crap from "these smokers"  Thats the obnoxious part. And even Stevie Wonder could see the slobs part.

Edited by morrobay

7 minutes ago, morrobay said:

By constuction: When nonsmokers have to breath this crap from "these smokers" 

7 minutes ago, morrobay said:

By constuction: When nonsmokers have to breath this crap from "these smokers" 

buy a E Gic they are safe and do not leave any litter  only water vapour with different aromas .. OH OH can't do that i forgot they are illegal 

2 hours ago, ebonykap said:

I am a light smoker. I don't believe I am obnoxious or a slob. Can you enlighten me as to how you can determine a person's character traits simply because they enjoy a puff?

If you discard your butts on the street or beach or ground, you're a slob.

7 hours ago, morrobay said:

They even bicycle, rollerskate, pushbike between the people who want to have a relaxed walk along the beach. Let them go to a sportsclub to sport, or run at the waterline for clean air and space.

As I understand it, the legislation used to enforce this ban was really intended to prevent large scale pollution by commercial enterprises - hence the severe penalties.

I have not heard of any large scale polluters being fined 100,000 Baht or imprisoned for 1 year, but there may have been a few :whistling:.

IMHO it is wrong to use (abuse) a law in a way that was not intended, but it seems to be fairly common practice here (Computer Crimes Act - to name just one).

If cigarette butts are the problem, there is already littering legislation in place but, if there is a need to ban smoking on beaches and other places, the government should legislate accordingly - with appropriate punishments for offenders.

Personally, as a reformed smoker (now 17 years), I prefer not to smell tobacco smoke anywhere - but I don't regard huge fines or imprisonment as an appropriate means of protecting me from the people who can't/won't quit.

Maybe they can apply the same to restaurants and hotels.

Just got back from a week in Phuket, I swear, every Thai male who I saw was puffing away, Ibis hotel has a coffee/bar lounge area which is open plan and adjoins the main foyer seating area, they allowed smoking as the did outside the main foyer area, so you would cope it both ways, and the swimming pool is full of smokers, within close proximity of kids.

Having lunch or dinner and they would light up in restaurants, I guess they really don't give a rats ass for the health of others, so its up to me to boycott these places, done and dusted !

Smokers have a right to smoke as much as I have a right not to smoke, so why not have smoking hotels and restaurants, and non smoking hotels and non smoking restaurants, common sense, yeh right the almighty baht is stronger, F - that

Best Western is a smoke free hotel, although they have a small area at the roof top near the swimming pool, so at least someone has got it right.