Airports of Thailand defends expensive pad thai at Don Mueang

snoop1130

Airports of Thailand defends expensive pad thai at Don Mueang

By Coconuts Bangkok

ghngjgh.JPG

A screengrab from an online menu of S&P.

After the controversy over pricy water bottles at Don Mueang Airport was ignited by Japanese media earlier this month, the Thai ombudsman today has completed the inspection of food prices at the two Bangkok’s airport and concluded that, yes, they’re expensive.

Thai ombudsman Pol. Gen. Wittawat Ratchatanan led the press in reading the menus at Don Mueang yesterday and Suvarnabhumi today. He found that many restaurants don’t follow their contracts. At Don Mueang, operators cannot set their prices higher than 20 percent more than the prices at local department stores. For Suvarnabhumi, the prices may not exceed 25 percent.

One dish that caught Gen. Wittawat’s eyes was the pad thai at the S&P chain restaurant, sold for THB235, while we usually find pad thai for well under THB200 at the mall, according to TNN.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/airports-thailand-defends-expensive-pad-thai-don-mueang/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-1-30

After I read the report, maybe the place that is trying to rationalise its expensive prices should consider using smaller, and cheaper ingredients and thus bringing the prices in line with the specified requirements.  Sad to say, that will never happen as this is Thailand, the land of many things that are not readily acceptable in other countries, such as dual pricing.  Remember, though, prices at many airports around the world are higher than local prices.  Just a thought for consideration.

12 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I rarely spend even a dime at airports, I eat before I get there and they feed you on the plane. You would have to be fairly desperate to shop at one.  The long layovers is where they get you though. 

I remember when a friend was stuck at the airport overnight waiting for his early flight as he insisted he caught the last bus there the evening before. He wanted me to change all his remaining baht to £ before he left. I suggested he kept 3-400 for food and drink at the airport during his long wait. He looked at me as if I was completely mad!

It's a rip-off the world over.

12 hours ago, nev said:

Follow the Thais and you will find the Thai food court where the prices are fair.

Better 5han that...go to the Bridge.

Amari quality without Amari prices...... the lunchtime buffet is exceptional value.

S&P also sells sandwiches for 120 baht, those green and red ones.

They are nice though because it's real fresh bread, the other ones are made of old bread from a few days old.

They also claim to "baked fresh every day" but still sell it 2-3-4 days after that.

2 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

details please ?

At Don Muang on the walkway to the Amari hotel, just before you get to the hotel.  As the other poster said, Amari hotel quality at at regular prices.  Best lunch for the price at the airport by a long shot

4 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

At Don Muang on the walkway to the Amari hotel, just before you get to the hotel.  As the other poster said, Amari hotel quality at at regular prices.  Best lunch for the price at the airport by a long shot

I know where the hotel is located, but how much do they charge, what kind of food is on offer, does it include drinks such as water, coffee, tea a.s.o.

Thanks

Edited by siam2007

4 hours ago, Thian said:

They are nice though because it's real fresh bread, the other ones are made of old bread from a few days old.

They also claim to "baked fresh every day" but still sell it 2-3-4 days after that.

Do you want bread baked today?

Come back tomorrow!

8 hours ago, Thian said:

It might well be baked fresh each day, but that doesn't mean it's sold on that same day.

The scam and extortion starts with the government for charging such high prices for rent contracts and other "fees" like even to get the chance of getting a slot or "express service" etc. The businesses are just reflecting that in their prices. It's those sleaze bags that trough off the businesses before they even open. People think it's the greedy businesses...no, it's the corrupt officials that have say over what happens there. 

57 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

The scam and extortion starts with the government for charging such high prices for rent contracts and other "fees" like even to get the chance of getting a slot or "express service" etc. The businesses are just reflecting that in their prices. It's those sleaze bags that trough off the businesses before they even open. People think it's the greedy businesses...no, it's the corrupt officials that have say over what happens there. 

Wrong all airport is more expensive end a normal restaurant and it is not about corruption it is ofcores of land price is more expensive and just look of a restaurant in a mall people there complaining about this is the cheap charlies 

12 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Wrong all airport is more expensive end a normal restaurant and it is not about corruption it is ofcores of land price is more expensive and just look of a restaurant in a mall people there complaining about this is the cheap charlies 

Hmmm....

Why would a Japanese really care about an airport Phad Thai, one place in Thailand, at ¥630 when they are flying home to Jp airport any plate of food is at least ¥1000? There is a Thai restaurant at Narita Airport. (They have Chiang Mai specialty Khao Soi think it is 1200!)

No DMK isn’t Japan but there are plenty of options before you jump on your $USD 3000 round trip flight maybe you should consider staying home next time. Or just stop complaining food in airports is expensive everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk