When Farangs Go Native

webfact

57 minutes ago, curtklay said:

So what is a foreigner supposed to do when receiving a wai from a store clerk or some other "junior"?

Wai back, ignore them, or flip them the bird?

No need to do anything, serving staff should be below your notice.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, curtklay said:

So what is a foreigner supposed to do when receiving a wai from a store clerk or some other "junior"?

Wai back, ignore them, or flip them the bird?

A curt nod with a reserved smile will generally suffice. 

• Like 1

I hate Forangs trying to be thai but also hate forang not respecting Thailand 

dont lile competition people competing to see who is more thai than the next man

who speaks the most thai

whos been here the longest 

it’s all <deleted>

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If a Thai wai's me, they've already indicated my 'higher status'.

Or they may just be saying hello, its not always a higher status thing, it can be a greeting amongst friends, thank you etc.

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I cannot even begin to describe how much I cringe when I see foreigners waiing everyone from supermarket cashiers to restaurant waiters, fish mongers in the wet market to go-go dancers, totally convinced that staying in the kingdom for a couple of months has made them "native" and that they're doing the right thing.

Even worse are those fellas I occasionally bump into at a bar,  those who think they have matured into genuine "Thailand experts" by spending two short vacations here and who feel compelled to start lecturing me about the Thai way of life, what to do and what not to do and who brag about their fantastic Thai-language skills (usually consisting of a few disjointed and wrongly pronounced words), and who are entirely ignorant of the fact that I've been living here for well over a quarter of a century, speak the local language almost fluently, and yes, know when, how and whom to wai. Brrrrr... shudder.

The best ones are the guys with local amulet, buddhist tattoo in neck and the obligate KHAPHOM (the only word they actually know and use 1.000 times an hour!). I'm one of those die-hard farangs who still shake hands with people around here (excluding women, solly solly) and most pooyai hotshots feel VERY honoured by doing so ?. 

14 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I can open a beer bottle using another. Does that mean I've gone native?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It means you've probably made a living logging on the Olympic Peninsula or you're a snow-sport instructor. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Usually I: only Wai strangers who come to visit I don't wai first unless they are older. I don't wai people I know, they get a smile and a nod. I don't say Sawadee krap or other Thai greeting's I say hello because they all know that word and they like to say hello too. Same with Khap kuhn, I just say thank you, for the same reasons. When I need to have a conversation I first ask in Thai if they speak English. If they answer confidently I will talk in English. If they hesitate I continue in Thai. I can eat as spicy as anyone I know, but I prefer not to. I cook mostly western food for myself. I have eaten all manner of critters and their various parts, but I prefer not to. I don't know the names of any Thai celebrity's nor can I name a Thai song or a TV show. I can throw a cast net, and I know how to keep a good edge on my machete and how to use it too. But I usually get some else to do the jungle stuff. I can build almost anything using Thai materials, but I measure and plan and use tools made for precision. So I don't think I've gone very native in my 15 years. I simply adapted a minimum of behaviors.

After 21 years i still outsource a pineapple (cutting) job. I love watching it and feel important when they spend utter dedication and concentration taking all dots out. They will also taste it for me and suggest eating pure (if waan) or with salt (if priow). I ❤ thailand!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Donotdisturb said:

After 21 years i still outsource a pineapple (cutting) job. I love watching it and feel important when they spend utter dedication and concentration taking all dots out. They will also taste it for me and suggest eating pure (if waan) or with salt (if priow). I ❤ thailand!!!

My daughters bring cut fruit up to my office, makes me feel like a poo yai. I don't know how to run the rice cooker, someone always beats me to it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

My daughters bring cut fruit up to my office, makes me feel like a poo yai. I don't know how to run the rice cooker, someone always beats me to it.

55. The rice cooker is the easiest thing ever: you *buy* it and the others do the rest!!!???

Edited by Donotdisturb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

My wife often calls me "farang kee-nok
I agree and the call her " khon Thai grajock" we both then laugh.

Don't you mean farang kee NGOK ?

There's a big difference.

Off my wife called me farang kee  nok, she wouldn't be my wife.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

Reading the full articular I think they want Thai people to stop westerners adopting Thai ways, as they are trying to prove they are sophisticated  by adopting western ways.

Any way I need to get back to my dog I don't like it well done.

I think it's rather pathetic, from a Thai who no doubt studied in a foreign culture. Maybe she was laughed at, or called a chinky in England when she was a kid and still has a chip on her shoulder. 

As for the Australian writer, she means Andrew Biggs. Nice guy who probably has more money than her, as does Chirsty and Jonas, who are huge here and she is jealous.

Reading between the lines, this old hag is just a pure racist. Nothing wrong with integrating into a new culture, but I refuse to put a 5 baht coin in my ear when on a bus.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2