British minister preparing to resign and denounce PM May - Sun newspaper

webfact

36 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The question is, would he get enough support from within the Tory party - possibly not.

That is a very valid point.  It doesn't matter what the public think or even want.  It is all about deals and agreements made behind closed doors as to who would end up as PM.  One thing we shouldn't bank on either is that, if May loses a leadership challenge that it would necessarily be to a Brexiteer who won.

55 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

That is a very valid point.  It doesn't matter what the public think or even want.  It is all about deals and agreements made behind closed doors as to who would end up as PM.  One thing we shouldn't bank on either is that, if May loses a leadership challenge that it would necessarily be to a Brexiteer who won.

Yep, in fact given that the majority of MPs are remainers, a Brexiteer would have little chance of winning. Unless they realise that the Moggster is the only Tory candidate who would stand a chance against Corbyn.

5 hours ago, malagateddy said:

One of the best brains in the country..or would you rather have corbyn and his motly brainless crew???

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Rees Mogg on Rees Mogg: "I gradually realised that whatever I happened to be speaking about, the number of voters in my favour dropped as soon as I opened my mouth."

Edited by SheungWan
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Rees Mogg on Rees Mogg: "I gradually realised that whatever I happened to be speaking about, the number of voters in my favour dropped as soon as I opened my mouth."

Great quote. Rees Mogg is a realist with a great sense of humour, and this proves it.  Not many politicians are capable of this kind of self-deprecation.

In any case, disliking someone because they have a posh accent is surely as bad as disliking someone for being common, or having a foreign accent.  But selective discrimination seems to be acceptable in these screwed up liberal times we live in.

42 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yep, in fact given that the majority of MPs are remainers, a Brexiteer would have little chance of winning. Unless they realise that the Moggster is the only Tory candidate who would stand a chance against Corbyn.

Well if all this wasn't so depressingly serious it would certainly be amusing to see Rees-Mogg in the role for a while.  Can you imagine him trying to deal with Trump!  Unfortunately we have moved on from the world of JRM who lives in his own version of 1950's Little England.  However he is much more like an old fashioned politician than the rest of them, vastly removed from the reality of the 21st Century.

13 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Great quote. Rees Mogg is a realist with a great sense of humour, and this proves it.  Not many politicians are capable of this kind of self-deprecation.

In any case, disliking someone because they have a posh accent is surely as bad as disliking someone for being common, or having a foreign accent.  But selective discrimination seems to be acceptable in these screwed up liberal times we live in.

47 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

That would be the dishonest Rees-Mogg no doubt who plagiarised an article in The Sun.

'The Honourable Member for the Early 20th Century'.

Edited by SheungWan

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Rees-Mogg was a frequent guest on HIGNFY (Have I got News For You) where I thought he was a really good sport.  He was mercilessly mocked by Hislop and Merton, much to the delight of the studio audience but still went back for more.  He loved playing the dim aristocrat and it helped him to raise his profile to the public.  The question is... were the people laughing with him or at him?  

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 5:29 PM, Sir Dude said:

I bet it's really difficult for some entitled snowflake to swallow the fact that in careers like this you need work your way up and that it takes time. Better to have a hissy-fit instead and storm out.

More likely the idea that the no-name MP does the job of a stalking horse to draw Theresa May into either a leadership election or resignation, then one of the swivel-eyed 'leaders' steps up untainted by disloyalty, gets the leadership victory and subsequently rewards the no-name MP with a Government position. That would be one likely game plan.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 3:10 PM, chickenslegs said:

Sounds like this minister is one of the youngsters who didn't get a promotion.:crying:

Yep, and so full of themselves, their own perceived ability and popularity, they won't for one moment dream anyone would see through a spoiled child entitled ego!

13 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The BBC has been busily promoting the idea that only chavs are worth anything and anyone with a posh accent is to be ridiculed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Well if all this wasn't so depressingly serious it would certainly be amusing to see Rees-Mogg in the role for a while.  Can you imagine him trying to deal with Trump!  Unfortunately we have moved on from the world of JRM who lives in his own version of 1950's Little England.  However he is much more like an old fashioned politician than the rest of them, vastly removed from the reality of the 21st Century.

the reality of the 21st Century.

Would that be a completely useless "all mouth and no trousers" waste of space that has no principles and loves spending other people's money?

IMO that's what most politicians are like now.

13 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Rees-Mogg was a frequent guest on HIGNFY (Have I got News For You) where I thought he was a really good sport.  He was mercilessly mocked by Hislop and Merton, much to the delight of the studio audience but still went back for more.  He loved playing the dim aristocrat and it helped him to raise his profile to the public.  The question is... were the people laughing with him or at him?  

People used to laugh at Boris when he was on HIGNFY and he ended up Mayor of London and Foreign Secretary.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Just google..Jacob Rees Mogg and spend some time educating yourself..unless you sre a corbynite..hell bent on the UK becoming a failed financial state..can you remember the IMF bailing out the UK in the 70's ???

Yes, we should all remember how the 27 year old Corbyn was judged to be responsible for that bailout. Still, thanks for the reminder.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, malagateddy said:

Jacob Rees Mogg..he's the nextP.M

Would that be the same Jacob Rees Mogg who produced a pamphlet calling for the government of the day to show more honesty? On the front cover the picture of Rees-Mogg talking to a 'constituent' was actually Rees-Mogg talking to a London employee of Rees-Mogg's investment company.

Rees-mogg does make my skin crawl. Here is a nice quote.

That Moggy remains 5-1 favourite to replace Theresa May is more because than in spite of his exposure as a recidivist fibber. The dwindling band of old, white, rural, mostly male party members who pick Tory leaders is cocooned within the demented fantasy bubble of a post-Brexit imperial renaissance.  No one – not Michael Gove or even Boris – is as expert at locating their G-spot.

It from a little piece in the Independent, I wouldn't claim it is not biased though!

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jacob-rees-mogg-lies-brexit-theresa-may-dream-team-boris-johnson-michael-gove-deceitful-bully-18th-a8194011.html

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, SheungWan said:

The populist hard right and populist hard left are both disaster areas. Try another thought. Oh, and by the way, did I tell you about the time Jacob Rees-Mogg went canvassing with his nanny?

Maybe you should concentrate on an MPs' policies, ideas, political intelligence and ability, rather than looking for silly tabloid style stories to put people down with.

I never agreed with people attacking Corbyn for his scruffy attire and lack of a tie etc. But it seems people are going to be using similar tactics with Rees Mogg, except at the other end of the scale, i.e. attacking his upper class background.

• Like 2

On 03/02/2018 at 9:43 AM, SheungWan said:

The populist hard right and populist hard left are both disaster areas. Try another thought. Oh, and by the way, did I tell you about the time Jacob Rees-Mogg went canvassing with his nanny?

You'll be telling us he's got a degree in dressmaking next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No teddy, the problem is Brexiteers seem to think that they are right when the rest of the world thinks it is madness. I have yet to see one good economic case from a Brexiteer for Brexit. It is all 'the experts are all wrong', 'British pluck and hard work will make it a success' - opinions, not facts. The only good case is a slightly better control of immigration.

All i know is that Brexit cost me 18% of my income immediately, and that hasn't changed. At best i might get that back before i die, just as likely it will get worse. The economic impact only really hits once we actually leave.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

opinions, not facts

Which exactly what we get from the Remain side too. How can you possibly have facts when we don't know the outcome of the negotiations yet, and we don't know what trade we'll do with the rest of the world once we're free to do so?

All i know is that Brexit cost me 18% of my income immediately

With respect, this is a short sighted view. FX markets are driven by sentiment, and while there is uncertainty a currency will be weak. That said, we're now above 1.40 USD and getting stronger.  That is higher than 2009 levels and about the same as 2010. Once negotiations are complete there will be certainty again.

The economic impact only really hits once we actually leave.

This is true - so I'm not sure why you base your argument on the current GBP exchange rate.

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Which exactly what we get from the Remain side too. How can you possibly have facts when we don't know the outcome of the negotiations yet, and we don't know what trade we'll do with the rest of the world once we're free to do so?

With respect, this is a short sighted view. FX markets are driven by sentiment, and while there is uncertainty a currency will be weak. That said, we're now above 1.40 USD and getting stronger.  That is higher than 2009 levels and about the same as 2010. Once negotiations are complete there will be certainty again.

This is true - so I'm not sure why you base your argument on the current GBP exchange rate.

That's right. When I go into TT Exchange to buy some baht I ask for the Forwards Brexiteer Certainty Rate. They are so happy to offer me 55 baht to the pound.