Top Ten hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, TKDfella said:

And another is road rage! plenty of videos seen on that score.

Quiet weekend at the beacb, not Pattaya, was disturbed on the second night, for an hour after 11pm by the Thai guy two rooms away screaming at his wife/girlfriend and by the sounds a bit of slapping around going on.

So yes they do lose it a lot 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They also drive with a machete, baseball bat or gun to attack you with if you toot them when driving. Thais are, in fact, some of the most violent people in the world who will explode at the slightest provocation.

As my Thai Wife always says..''In Thailand it's Face first, never forget that because it can get you killed ! ''

• Like 1

5 hours ago, flyingdoc said:

I suppose that the Elite Visa covers most problems, but is expensive!

Still have to do 90 days report by yourself if your not in area where Elite Visa has representatives 

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

Rubbish, Thai people lose their temper, shout and scream and do anything they can to try and get their own way and that's just one example I saw in the Banana IT computer shop in Market Village, Hua Hin.

+ 1

Seen this quite a few times

Once with a man telling BIL to get rid of the dog

Woman going beserk as young lad across rd didn't want her young daughter (actually smashed a guitar )

The author of the article is also the editor of the Phuket Gazette (online version these days). Whereas I agree with a lot of the titles he has put his own (not always correct) spin on things when he elaborates. I'm not going to pick his points apart one by one though.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

I was curious to see how far down the list Thai police corruption came.  I was stunned to find it didn't figure at all.  How can holding businesses to ransom; creating bogus accident reports; failure to leave their offices; ignoring 98% of traffic violations; selective prosecution; not figure?

That would come under the line of easiest place to do business

They've refined it so much that now it only takes one official in a single Department

6 hours ago, catman20 said:

your gonna struggle with that one here mate. i gave up years ago talking to farangs

Me too , catman20 , I have a good aussie mate way up here in woop -woop and when we meet in Lotus we pretend to avoid each other , me behind the fresh fish counter and Bruce behind Dairy Queen, the locals know us and it gets a few larfs from them.   Heard all the BS and don't need anymore.

• Like 1

Thailand is my home now since the last 2 plus years, warts and all.

Apart from the morning smoke from the back burning here in Isaan is about the only thing that urkes me, but hey, keep everything closed till about 9am-10am and all is good.

1) The people don't bother me

2) Immigration is what it is, every 3 months and annual renewal

3) Love is only for as good as it lasts, hopefully, till death do us part, working girls or not

4) I only invest as much as I am prepared to loose, 10%

5) Corruption is a world wide thing if we open our eyes, or embrace it for the opportunity that suites us

6) Paperwork, well yeh, they are behind the times, and I leave that to the wife....lol

7) Two tier pricing, well they can try, read the menu before hand and if you don't like what you see, next !

8) Bar girls, truth said, they would love to love me long time, but I love them short time and hard, so they not forget me, strong han hom man

9) Lose my cool, never would give them the pleasure, I allow the wife to lose hers, and boy does she fire up with Thai's, who always back down and apologies, must be, the "I have farang husband" power trip thing when she needs to apply it.

10) Road fatalities, yes well, just keep applying the same rule, "these people don't have licenses, registration, insurance and can drive/ride, but some crazy ones steer clear of

When I can't take no more, I will return to the controlled environment that I originally came from, but will hopefully go into the country like here away from farangs, the controlling government rules, tax man and police, to live a similar existence here.

But say see that happening, but never say never 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

An interesting read ...if I were fresh off the plane.  Otherwise, there's no real new information, at least none to moan about.  I don't pretend to know it all, and what I don't know about Thailand could fill a phone book, but I didn't learn much new reading this.  Although, I did like the phrase "You call it corruption. They call it business."  I think equally true is that corruption is the price of doing business in Thailand, but that's not as catchy.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

Rubbish, Thai people lose their temper, shout and scream and do anything they can to try and get their own way and that's just one example I saw in the Banana IT computer shop in Market Village, Hua Hin.

True but we ain't Thai so ...

Edited by TheMac

6 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Colonisation has never 'tainted' Thailand. Notwithstanding that Chantaburi province was 'colonised' by the French from 1900 to 1910.  The British and the French, having been enemies for hundreds of years, needed the Thailand 'buffer zone' between their respective empires. Otherwise Thailand would have been reaping the same benefits of having been colonised as other countries in the region. And benefits there undeniably were. Yes, yes, I know about all the drawbacks, so no need to remind me.

Yes the same benefits as those far wealthier countries Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia enjoy.

Part of the charm of Thailand is that everything is negotiable. That's a lot better than the overwhelming legal structures of Western countries.

The hard truth is there are some expats who think Thailand should function just like the place they come from, and are incapable of adapting or learning to speak Thai. They should be careful what they wish for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jvs said:

The house is in my name and the land in a company name,laugh as much as you like!!!555

That land you think you own is the property of the Thai who has the controlling interest in your company. Try reading the articles of association of your company- I'm assuming you can read Thai.

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

I too find Thais to be bad tempered. Their coolness is a myth 

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That land you think you own is the property of the Thai who has the controlling interest in your company. Try reading the articles of association of your company- I'm assuming you can read Thai.

Unless the the poster (jvs) is an American, and has used the Amity treaty to own the company outright?

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Me too , catman20 , I have a good aussie mate way up here in woop -woop and when we meet in Lotus we pretend to avoid each other , me behind the fresh fish counter and Bruce behind Dairy Queen, the locals know us and it gets a few larfs from them.   Heard all the BS and don't need anymore.

i never heard so much BS as i have herd here in Thailand. 

Edited by catman20
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I'm lucky I guess.. I've got a good group of ferang friends.. I'm not sure about advice on how to go about achieving it but my strategy is to be friendly and keep the bullshit sensors on high alert..  good luck.. 

maybe it depends where one lives in Thailand. Pattaya is full of it 

Immigration queues at airports are becoming longer even though the well-publicised delays have been acknowledged, more computers installed and more staff trained. You can be waiting for an hour to get through immigration at any Thai airport with only half the stations staffed and spare staff standing behind passport control drinking coffee and checking their Facebook. But it’s all managed with a smile once you get your moment in front of the funny pod camera for your photo.

Smiles at airport immigration. Now this would be a first!

9 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

11. Beware of some expats, especially the ones who try to be your best friend, despite having just met you.

Also, don't always believe the 'ex S.A.S., Navy Seal, Special forces' bullshit, as most who have done it, will 

never ever mention it.  

Who'd want to meet such a person anyway?

• Like 1