DNA shows first modern Briton had “dark to black” skin

webfact

24 minutes ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

So this is what happens when you get 10,000 Years of nothing but rainy and foggy weather.

Your skin turns White! 

But who would have thought that all Brits have a little bit of "Aunt Jemima" in them?

At the same time there were already white people in Europe, we didn't turn white, we bred with white people.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

People left Africa half a million years ago, it has little to do with that, there were white people in Northern Europe 10,000 years ago, but not in Britain, those people were black.

IMO those people became the Celts, which were displaced by incoming waves of people from France, Scandinavia and the Mediterranean, ending up in Scotland, Ireland and Wales. I could look it up to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Even if the Celts were later arrivals from Europe, they would have interbred with the first Britons, just as all subsequent illegal immigrants interbred with those before them.

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

At the same time there were already white people in Europe, we didn't turn white, we bred with white people.

and they came from? Wikipedia tells me the last ice age finished 11,700 years ago. How did your "white people" originate and develop to be able to breed with the Africans in such a short time?

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO those people became the Celts, which were displaced by incoming waves of people from France, Scandinavia and the Mediterranean, ending up in Scotland, Ireland and Wales. I could look it up to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Even if the Celts were later arrivals from Europe, they would have interbred with the first Britons, just as all subsequent illegal immigrants interbred with those before them.

The Celts ate the ancient Britons.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and they came from?

The area that is now the Black Sea?

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and they came from? Wikipedia tells me the last ice age finished 11,700 years ago. How did your "white people" originate and develop to be able to breed with the Africans in such a short time?

It takes having a combination of two genes to make a person fair skinned, it is estimated that this combination has been present in Europe for between 11,000 and 19,000 years.  Not sure who you mean by "the Africans", you seem confused, the way fair skin came to be common amongst Europeans was through passing on these two genes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3525146/

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well if people want to be pedantic all life on the planet originated as single celled organisms in the sea.

Highly unlikely, IMO, that humans originated spontaneously in cold climates of the north, and the DNA path from Africa was discovered long ago.

IMO, whether several varieties of human originated in different areas of Africa and combined is irrelevant to us all coming from common ancestors.

You may be right when it comes to the authors of the OP attempting to "blackify" everything, but that does not change the point of my post that we are all the same under the skin.

Well, since the "caucasian race" (aka white race) actually extends as far as Europe, the Caucasus, Asia Minor, North Africa, Horn of Africa, West/Central/South Asia.   Genetic mutations occur regularly on the Y chromosome and much slower on the mitochondrial chromosome... so is it that much of a surprise it could be mutated on and off (assuming it is one or two strands) as the environment of where we come from favours one over the other?  Skin colour is just that ... just the colour of the skin... nothing deeper.

8 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Not necessarily true: https://medium.com/@johnhawks/the-story-of-modern-human-origins-just-got-more-complicated-9e435bea24f6

Let's see this article for what it is - more virtue signalling - attempting to paint everything black and de-legitimise white skinned people.  

Yeah, right...that's what the OP is doing...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, dunroaming said:

What is most amusing about the response to this article is the way that people instantly use it as opportunity to vent their racist vitriol.

Anyone who thinks that someone is defined by their colour needs to be pitied rather than pilloried.  In this case colour has nothing to do with ethnicity or religion or anything else that the racists get their knickers in a twist over.  

What is most amusing about the response to this article is that there hasn't been a single racist response.

But the opportunity to virtue signal and call people racist, isn't missed by some...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone posted in a link, the reason for the lightening of skin color the further from the equator has to do with natural selection for being able to absorb UV rays and produce vitamin D.  

It takes about 10,000 years for the skin tone to turn from dark to light.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, connda said:

Really.  What difference does it make?  So dandy.  Nice to know.

Makes a difference to the researchers that have a nice little earner finding out that in the biggest non surprise of the century that people were dark thousands of years ago.

Bit like paying billions of $ to find out that other stars have planets that can support earth like life forms.

Now, if all those research $ could be used for something that actually helped us, we might have a better planet.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Makes a difference to the researchers that have a nice little earner finding out that in the biggest non surprise of the century that people were dark thousands of years ago.

Bit like paying billions of $ to find out that other stars have planets that can support earth like life forms.

Now, if all those research $ could be used for something that actually helped us, we might have a better planet.

If paleontologists made "nice little earners" I would have gone for that anthropology degree after all... :laugh:

I'm not surprised that this is pushing some people's buttons. Interesting to see them squirm in denial.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ruffian Dick said:

If paleontologists made "nice little earners" I would have gone for that anthropology degree after all... :laugh:

I'm not surprised that this is pushing some people's buttons. Interesting to see them squirm in denial.

Bet they do better than I did though.

Just looked it up. Definitely a nice earner. Doubt nurses make anywhere near that, and they have degrees and actually save people's lives. Oh well.

http://work.chron.com/much-money-paleontologists-make-21918.html

They earned average annual salaries of $106,780 as of May 2012, according to the BLS. The top 25 percent made over $130,330 annually.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bet they do better than I did though.

Just looked it up. Definitely a nice earner. Doubt nurses make anywhere near that, and they have degrees and actually save people's lives. Oh well.

http://work.chron.com/much-money-paleontologists-make-21918.html

They earned average annual salaries of $106,780 as of May 2012, according to the BLS. The top 25 percent made over $130,330 annually.

Uh, no. Nurses w/masters degree earn $90-160,000.

http://work.chron.com/much-nurse-masters-degree-make-11765.html

30 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Uh, no. Nurses w/masters degree earn $90-160,000.

http://work.chron.com/much-nurse-masters-degree-make-11765.html

LOL. How many nurses have masters degrees? 

https://study.com/articles/RN_Educational_Requirements_to_Become_a_Registered_Nurse.html

Salary and Career Information

The BLS estimated faster-than-average employment growth of 16% for RNs in the years 2014-2024. The BLS also reported that RNs earned a median annual wage of $67,490 in May 2015.