Tragedy strikes as three Kabinburi children drown on day off from school

rooster59

Tragedy strikes as three Kabinburi children drown on day off from school

102576_th.jpg

Image: Banmuang

Three children who were all relatives died after drowning in a village pond as they enjoyed a day off school.

The Ban Khao Poon school was out for the day so five children went to the deep water nearby for a swim.

But three girls got into difficulty and despite the efforts of a male relative could not be saved.

Medics retrieved them all from the pond as two mothers rushed to scene to see their children dead and lined up on the bank.

Dead at the scene were Suwatjanee Palee, 10, and sisters Natchathawan Kamman, 12, and Laddawan Khamman, 10. 

Suwatjanee's distraught mother said she had been called at work to say her daughter had drowned. Sawitree, the mother of the sisters told Banmuang reporters of her grief and incredulity that a normal day could turn to such terror. 

Drowning is the leading cause of death of children under 15 in Thailand, figures have shown. 

Some 2,000 - 2,500 children meet such a fate in Thailand each year many dying in village ponds.

Source: Banmuang

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-10

2 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Drowning is the leading cause of death of children under 15 in Thailand, figures have shown. 

Always tragic to hear of the death of children, especially when it is avoidable. If Thailand is losing thousands of kids each year to drowning, surely it is overdue for swimming lessons to be introduced to the education system. Even if there are no local pools, the same ponds that claim so many lives could be used with proper supervision. This is a National tragedy that needs to be addressed.

almost teens and could not swim enough or dog paddle to get to shallower water?  And an adult that couldn't either.  Double or multiple drownings are unfortunately somewhat common as one person that is not equipped to help tries to help the victim.  But without details, can't really tell what happened

c3fa7462e5d9ab3890d463f0dddb077f.jpeg

Do you and the rest of your uniformed gang really want to make a difference then?

How about starting by making sure that the children have the opportunity to learn to swim.

There is something useful your scores of  thousands of soldiers can get on with this long summer holiday

But no, there is no money in it is there, besides they are only poor peoples children...

What efforts did the male relative do? Obviously not much....but image is everything so let's cast him as a hero?

it doesn't say how soon or how late the other 2 went to go get help? Probably played a part in their death...

is is this a tragedy or more of an example of irresponsible supervision? These writes ups always make it sound like a case of lightning - far from it

simple case of cause and effect...

Amazing how many Thai people cannot swim! parents cannot teach their children as they themselves usually have a morbid fear of water!

I have offered the use of my pool to a few locals to teach their children to swim, not one has taken up on the offer!

5 hours ago, CGW said:

Amazing how many Thai people cannot swim! parents cannot teach their children as they themselves usually have a morbid fear of water!

I have offered the use of my pool to a few locals to teach their children to swim, not one has taken up on the offer!

I've worked with a few Thais, young and older, who swam like somebody already drowning. They learned fast. You can vastly improve swim skills in an afternoon. They just need a few lessons at school given by a qualified instructor. After-school classes that included their adult caretakers would add to their safety when swimming.

So sad!! And, so preventable!  The Chiang Mai International Rotary Club, the UK-based Safe Child Thailand Foundation, and the Thai Ministry of Public Health are all working to reduce children's drowning deaths in Thailand.  According to the WHO, drowning is the leading cause of death for children in Thailand! In Chiang Mai, Lampang and soon in Phuket, we offer 15 hours of survival swimming and water safety instruction for municipal school 4th-graders, i.e., 9 year-old children.  We have taught over 600 students survival swimming and hope to teach at least 1,000 more next year!   Want to help,  contact us via the Chiang Mai International Rotary Club website or just respond here and we will contact you. Or, just respond to me here.

7 hours ago, Mac98 said:

I've worked with a few Thais, young and older, who swam like somebody already drowning. They learned fast. You can vastly improve swim skills in an afternoon. They just need a few lessons at school given by a qualified instructor. After-school classes that included their adult caretakers would add to their safety when swimming.

yeah.  and the first thing is to not panic when head is underwater.  Learn to not breath, learn to pinch the nose muscles to keep water out or at least blow a little aire out of the nose.   I remember the first time I passed the swim test at our pool in order to go in the deepend.  You had to swim the length of the pool.  I swam it underwater.  The lifeguard smiled and said try again on top of the water.  I just always liked floating around in water, diving under it etc. 

Terrible tragedy, and avoidable.  I made sure to teach my boys how to swim.  A childhood friend taught her daughter to "swim" as an infant. When I was a young Boy Scout, I did the one mile swim at summer camp.  Staggered up on shore like a drunk and collapsed at the finish.  I was too skinny to float well.  The Red Cross lifesaving course was tough as well.  Retrieving a barbell weight off the bottom of the deep end wasn't easy.  Swimming is a survival skill unless you live in a desert.

Being British there are a couple of things I am grateful to the establishment for that happened during my "indoctrination" period:- swimming lessons and the cycling proficiency test, both done at a young - (seven i think?) age so deeply ingrained.

Wish I still had the badges :saai:

Yet again, another case of wasted life due to poor education, awareness and guidance by those individuals who's responsibiliy is to ensure, and set, an example of discipline, especially to youngsters by way of action. We know who those indivuals are! Those idiots that ride with babies etc on motorbikes with no protection, and so on...

Instead of the usual, look at work we fake, to the rest of the world, I constantly view on Thai T.V each and every evening, the resources wasted on such elaborate ceremonies, should be channeled into health and safety awareness, education and training.

Don't  get me wrong, I'm not being insulting, I'm just pointing out the fact that life is far more import than the constant LOOK AT US, instead of the real truth, LOOK AT WHAT WE DONT DO! 

I've both a son and daughter, which sadly I see rarely due to the normal Thai mother mentality, and fear for their welfare each and everyday. Abuse. Riding on motorbikes, without protection, etc...

The schools in general are no better. The school premises are usually a dump, litter everywhere. Dogs. Broken furniture. Poor maintainance. Unruly students, and is normally used as a race track with most, not all, Thai teachers, not bothering to set an example what so ever,  so what chances do young, uneducated youngsters have? Their peers seem to be careless and uncaring, so why should they, the students, be too? 

The blind leading the blind!

As usual, the sad lose of the three young children will soon be brushed under the carpet and looked upon as just another death in the land of paradis

I feel sad and upset after reading yet another report of yet another pointless and preventable death.

All three where too young to die!

RIP.

For what good it may do?

11 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

When I was a kid at school in the UK we had swimming lessons as part of the curriculum...

Time it was introduced here I think.

Most schools offer swimming lessons, but  those that cannot swim are usually just left to sit in the baby pool.

11 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

yeah.  and the first thing is to not panic when head is underwater.  Learn to not breath, learn to pinch the nose muscles to keep water out or at least blow a little aire out of the nose.   I remember the first time I passed the swim test at our pool in order to go in the deepend.  You had to swim the length of the pool.  I swam it underwater.  The lifeguard smiled and said try again on top of the water.  I just always liked floating around in water, diving under it etc. 

Love the water! I had too rescue an Iranian young lady who got in too deep. Her "minders" just stood there. I was fearful of getting my throat cut for doing a cross-chest carry rescue. Later found out that drowning is one of very few exceptions to the no-touch rule for non-family members. She was grateful. We keep in contact going on 7 years.

7 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Thailand taking care of its children !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thai Parents taking care of there children !!!!!!!!!!!!

Teaching children to swim is part of parenting and should be part of

there schooling .

Very sad 

RIP little ones.

Totally agree but most Thia parents are busy trying to put food on the table 

15 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Totally agree but most Thia parents are busy trying to put food on the table 

Sorry but your wrong, 20 years here tells me. 

Lazy parents are the norm.

Most find time to play cards, or go hunting for the lattist lottery numbers. or go to the 7/11 and buy a bunch of crap food for there kids. instead of cooking healthy food for them.

or go to the local  market and buy some crap toy to shut the kids up. but no way will they each or get someone to teach the kids to swim.

You need to open your eyes mate,  most Thai parents are lazy.

Also if you cant be arsed to take care of kids,   don't have them.

As a water safety and swim instructor and former life saver, its horribly sad the read this.. But as the figures say there are 3-5 deaths PER  day..and ive closed my ears. With the draconian employment laws its virtually impossible for me as an indivudual to help..ive seen programs set up by ngos and financed by western govs..but when the heck is this country going to stsrt looking after it own instead of say, buying 20 rediculously extravagant watches...What a waste!.8

2 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Sorry but your wrong, 20 years here tells me. 

Lazy parents are the norm.

Most find time to play cards, or go hunting for the lattist lottery numbers. or go to the 7/11 and buy a bunch of crap food for there kids. instead of cooking healthy food for them.

or go to the local  market and buy some crap toy to shut the kids up. but no way will they each or get someone to teach the kids to swim.

You need to open your eyes mate,  most Thai parents are lazy.

Also if you cant be arsed to take care of kids,   don't have them.

lazy parents everywhere and i know this particular case is about thailand and those poor kids. but i can't accept 'most' when you say lazy about thai parenting, certainly not the places i've stayed or my own family. alot for sure but as far as i remember in the UK there were plenty of people on the dole throwing their kids out on the streets and having more to get extra hand outs only for their kids to end up in street gangs. no 7/11 but they'd be feeding them cheap shit from iceland as they got high on whatever and kept their free flats or houses as complete dumps most people wouldn't let their dog stay in. i agree with your last sentence

10 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Most schools offer swimming lessons, but  those that cannot swim are usually just left to sit in the baby pool.

My son went to International School here and he did get swimming lessons, though I had already taught him myself.

Are you sure all Thai schools have swimming lessons, even up country?

Of course swimming in a supervised pool is not the same as in a pond, lake, river or the sea.

Cheers, G.

13 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Thailand taking care of its children !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thai Parents taking care of there children !!!!!!!!!!!!

Teaching children to swim is part of parenting and should be part of

there schooling .

Very sad 

RIP little ones.

or at the very least tell the not to go in the water

13 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

15 hours ago, Mac98 said:

Love the water! I had too rescue an Iranian young lady who got in too deep. Her "minders" just stood there. I was fearful of getting my throat cut for doing a cross-chest carry rescue. ...

Yes, I remember that from life-saving training.  I was only about 47 kg, but I had to haul in whales. Maybe 15 years old ...

On 10/02/2018 at 11:53 AM, rooster59 said:

Some 2,000 - 2,500 children meet such a fate in Thailand each year

That over 5 every DAY!  Why are there no compulsory swimming lessons in school?  Surely the cost could be met by selling one of Prawit's watches?

39 minutes ago, mikebell said:

That over 5 every DAY!  Why are there no compulsory swimming lessons in school?  Surely the cost could be met by selling one of Prawit's watches?

Because deep down,   most just don't care.

Money is the only important thing in Thai society.

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Because deep down,   most just don't care.

Money is the only important thing in Thai society.

Outside of family no one gives a poop here and its not deep down its just covered in years and years of "Thai good, Thailand no 1, we love Thailand" bs indoctrination. Imo anyway..

Archived