More money

Bangkok expat

I have read all the 5 pages of this post and many of the posts......... And YES...... without knowing more from the OP it is hard to guess what would be good advice for this guy...... Sometime it helps hearing the stories of others which may be helpful.......... But in 5 pages of replies I didn't see tho Original Poster (Bangkok expat) come back with any comment of his own or other helpful info such as how he can own a home in Thailand.....................

Cant help but wonder if the post is for real or just trolling................ I did notice that he is a newbie and 1 post to his credit (first post).........

But the topic makes for good learning...........Sooooo Many... NICE THAI GIRLS, BUT there is also many Shining examples Not so nice girls....

Just my personal opinion and thoughts..................

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read this entire thread.  Most of the replies are valid.   

The OP may have joined to seek our help. It  seems English isn't his first language.    Yes it would be nice if he offered more information.  Such as if it's a business owned house or he uses "house" term for a legal owned freehold condo.     It would be nice to know his her age, what she did to break his heart, etc.  But I don't think  more info would really matter.  

I can see the point that a gal invests 5 years and wants to feel some security.  But you can only pay what you can afford.   It also sounds like she has not played the long game very well or treated him very well.   Perhaps she is looking to move on?   

I think the OP should back away to clear his mind and take a fresh look at things.  

As mentioned before. 

Be worth more live than dead. 

But also. 

There are 100 Thai gals around the corner. 

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If you are suggesting a non-Thai cannot own a house you are wrong.

His Thai wife may have claim to half of it, or own the land.

How does a non-thai own a house then?

After your 8000 posts, you think this is possible?

Please tell us how.

1 minute ago, Langsuan Man said:

How can this old chestnut come up again

Yes, a non Thai can own a house; they just can't own the land that it sits on 

Land appreciates, buildings depreciate. Always better to own the land. Otherwise just rent.

14 minutes ago, Justfine said:

The person who owns 51% can screw you over though.

If it is a single person, which I do not believe it needs to be, I would expect to split the 51% between two other Thai nationals.

The foreign national can control the company by using a legal power of attorney from the Thai shareholders, handing control to the foreign directors, or through assigning greater voting rights to the foreigner partner/s. This is an effective and time-tested route, most commonly taken by foreigners. The help of a lawyer is very important.

I could just as easily find information stating that this is actually illegal and the Thai nominee's shareholdings will be deemed in the possession of the 49% share-holding foreigner. And as a mechanism for a foreigner holding Thai land is illegal. Still, many many houses are owned this way by foreigners and I have not heard of any losing their property due to legal challenge, and lawyers will still set up these limited companies as a means to own homes. Stick with the old adage, never invest more than you can afford to lose, and as an old man, I can't take it with me anyhow!

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If it is a single person, which I do not believe it needs to be, I would expect to split the 51% between two other Thai nationals.

The foreign national can control the company by using a legal power of attorney from the Thai shareholders, handing control to the foreign directors, or through assigning greater voting rights to the foreigner partner/s. This is an effective and time-tested route, most commonly taken by foreigners. The help of a lawyer is very important.

I could just as easily find information stating that this is actually illegal and the Thai nominee's shareholdings will be deemed the possession of the 49% share-holding foreigner. And as a mechanism for a foreigner holding Thai land is illegal. Still many many houses are owned this way by foreigners aand I have not heard of any losing their property due to legal challenge, and lawyers will still set up these limited companies as a means to own homes. Stick with the old adage, never invest more than you can afford to lose, and as an old man, I can't take it with me anyhow!

Then rent. More flexible and leave money elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, Justfine said:

The person who owns 51% can screw you over though.

That is why a company is never set up with only two owners, always a minimum of three , 49% for one, and 51% divided between the other two (who usually don't know each other), therefore the 49% owner will always have a majority, not really rocket science but good business practice

10 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

That is why a company is never set up with only two owners, always a minimum of three , 49% for one, and 51% divided between the other two (who usually don't know each other), therefore the 49% owner will always have a majority, not really rocket science but good business practice

Yeah 2 Thais are never going to screw you over. Of course not.

29 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Then rent. More flexible and leave money elsewhere.

A sensible option, rents are low here relative to cost of buying. I often try to dispel a lot of people's fear of paying someone else's mortgage with the comment that a 5mil condo can be rented for 25,000/ month for 17 years before you have covered the cost of buying, and at 70 years old, the likely hood is dying not buying!

My own situation, I had never owned my own place and it seemed a good deal. Something to leave the old lady too!

Six pages now and nothing from the Original Poster.................. I think it is Fake but it sure did stir up some opinions and stories........

I just looked up the Profile of the Originsal poster......... "Bangkok expat"   number of posts ..... one

This is what i found and copied a couple minutes ago:...

Bangkok expat

Members

I can't imagine why we haven't heard more from him..............

1 minute ago, sawadeeken said:

Six pages now and nothing from the Original Poster.................. I think it is Fake but it sure did stir up some opinions and stories........

I just looked up the Profile of the Originsal poster......... "Bangkok expat"   number of posts ..... one

This is what i found and copied a couple minutes ago:...

Bangkok expat

Members

I can't imagine why we haven't heard more from him..............

People don't care. Common situation and a talking point.

Houses/life/wills/drama

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A sensible option, rents are low here relative to cost of buying. I often try to dispel a lot of people's fear of paying someone else's mortgage with the comment that a 5mil condo can be rented for 25,000/ month for 17 years before you have covered the cost of buying, and at 70 years old, the likely hood is dying not buying!

My own situation, I had never owned my own place and it seemed a good deal. Something to leave the old lady too!

6% a year. Money invested can earn that or more. Ownership comes with insurance, maintenance and other fees too.

Archived