Shinawatras' press conference expected in Hong Kong

webfact

7c09cb5d37543f28c8695ea82c162200.jpeg

Both siblings had been in Tokyo since Saturday.

Thailand’s two fugitive prime ministers, Thaksin and Yingluck Shinawatra, left Japan for Hong Kong on Tuesday, Japan News reported, quoting sources close to the pair.

It was widely reported that Yingluck, who absconded last year a few days before a Supreme Court was supposed to deliver its verdict in a negligence case connected to her government’s rice-pledging scheme, will hold a press conference in Hong Kong.

Yingluck last year was sentenced in absentia by the Supreme Court to five years in prison for negligence regarding the scheme, which incurred major losses for the state coffers.

Her elder brother was deposed as prime minister in a military coup in 2006 and subsequently fled abroad to avoid a corruption conviction.

Yingluck, who is believed to have visited Japan for the first time after fleeing Thailand, was accompanied by Thaksin as well as Somchai Wongsawat, their brother-in-law and another former prime minister. They stayed in Japan for “private purposes”, sources said.

Yingluck was granted permission to enter the country by the Japanese government, the sources said.

Meanwhile, National Legislative Assembly whip Somchai Sawangkarn has quoted a diplomatic source in Japan as saying Yingluck had been trying to meet Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

The source also reportedly told Somchai that Yingluck had also been seeking to meet old business and political connections in Japan.

“She also plans to visit Hong Kong to muster support for her movement. She will call a press conference in late February or early March,” Somchai said. His source said she will be received by her supporters in Hong Kong.

Yingluck and her brother travelled to Tokyo after being seen together in Beijing – a photo of them in the Chinese capital was circulated on social media this week. 

Somchai quoted his source as saying Yingluck’s arrival in Japan had made authorities there “uncomfortable”, but she might have received a tourist visa and used either a Cambodian or Montenegrin passport.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338825

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-14
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

doubtless will be interesting;

she will be egged on by the limitless ego of the brother;

these mentions of 'movements' doesn't sound too positive;

the two of them will likely spout all kinds of idle generalities like 'good of thailand', 'my country',etc

just for face time

Could be comedy gold! Hopefully the rice scheme goddess can entertain us with some more classics like:

"I come from democracy"

"I will do everything by apply with all the legal and apply with the rule of law. And the main important thing that I have to be fairness to everyone, not just only one person"

Where were they while decent, justice-loving Thais have suffered? Neither one has ever taken a stand for what's right. Silent when it mattered most. Their hubris and lack of shame gave the army the perfect pretext to roll Thailand back to the dark ages. Stay out and let the people fight the fight that is theirs.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Becker said:

Really looking forward to this. The junta dinos are in for some sleepless nights and we can expect more than the usual number of hissy fits from the junta leader followed by a steady stream of assurances that "he doesn't care, no he just doesn't care"!

It's gonna be precious!!

As are you!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

doubtless will be interesting;

she will be egged on by the limitless ego of the brother;

these mentions of 'movements' doesn't sound too positive;

the two of them will likely spout all kinds of idle generalities like 'good of thailand', 'my country',etc

just for face time

She will be egged on by the limitless ego of the brother pushing from the back...

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

That is a pretty cool sentence, I don't think there is a historical precedent of a pair of fugitive PM's out globe trotting. 

Must make for some interesting conversations.

I never thought ANYONE could possibly make these two look good as leaders of any democratic government. But to my utter dismay, the current gang have absolutely succeeded in doing so.

Yet when I mull over the choice between the two factions from a democracy point of view, it's kind of like choosing between death by firing squad or death by guillotine.

Isn't there a thoughtful, educated, non-corrupt politician anywhere in the house???

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, johng said:

It takes quite a few iterations of unmolested free and fair elections before there is even a chance of those sorts of politicians to get elected.

I wasn't asking if such a person could get elected to national office in Thailand.

I was simply asking if such a person actually existed here.  Different question.

But the answer is probably the same, to either question.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

This will surely send "yours truly" into a spin and bring out the best of Mr. Grumpy. All part of the unintended junta's amusement agenda for the benefit of TVN readers along with others including the international press. Wouldn't miss it for anything; great entertainment value.......thank you PM!

1 hour ago, debate101 said:

Where were they while decent, justice-loving Thais have suffered? Neither one has ever taken a stand for what's right. Silent when it mattered most. Their hubris and lack of shame gave the army the perfect pretext to roll Thailand back to the dark ages. Stay out and let the people fight the fight that is theirs.

They really ought to be in jail, both of them, but they are not the only ones...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

... it's kind of like choosing between death by firing squad or death by guillotine.

Isn't there a thoughtful, educated, non-corrupt politician anywhere in the house???

I think that's about it, although perhaps more specifically that the system of politics and the social structure, disincentivises consistently good behaviour as a politician with the sole intention of the common good, while the environment in which they operate promotes precisely the opposite.  Further, the conditions are supportive of self-fulfilment and those connected with them - Thailand's Crony Capitalism.

We only need look at the dozens of news items each week - lately that the police chief Gen. Somyot Phumphanmuang who has been implicated in a THB 300m scandal over a sex parlour, which, at least as it appears, continued to operate as a result of his participation.  At the same time, he oversaw the handling of the Koh Tao rape and murder case, yet his credentials as a police officer implicate him in the sex industry and the exploitation associated with that.  Clearly this didn't cause an issue with his conscience.

It won't get any better, that's for sure.  It's just the way Thailand is.  There is a common apathy against change for the better and the people they have in positions of power are the result of that.