Renting a bike on Samui - Deadly or Essential?

The tragic death of the French guy near Mae Nam yesterday brought this question back into my head. I've regularly visited Samui for the past 18 years, and I always used to rent a motorcycle for the duration of my stay. For the last 2/3 years I've not taken a bike out, mainly out of fear for my life after reading so many horror stories about road deaths on the island. This is despite having always been a very slow and careful rider.

BUT I've started to realise I'm actually missing the freedom a bike gives you.  I noticed I wasn't enjoying my Samui trips as much as I used to, and I think it's because I don't get around the island anymore. So I'd be interested to hear some opinions on the following:

1. Should I face my fear, take extra care and go back to the bikes? If so are there places where I could rent a good quality helmet as opposed to the egg shells you get from the bike rental companies?

2. Is renting a car a better option? I always imagined the small roads would be a nightmare in a car, and that it would be difficult parking at shops or other places of interest.

3. Or should I just keep my feet on the ground and be thankful there is one less thing to kill me?

Cheers

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

2. Is renting a car a better option?

In my modest opinion: Yes.

And you can of course not dop a car, like some people drop their motorbikes everywhere, but it's not that difficult –I talk from Samui experience since 2001, so about 16½ year in parking cars on this island – and you may just get some healthy exercise from walking from the parking to where ever you're heading...:smile:

22 minutes ago, khunPer said:

In my modest opinion: Yes.

And you can of course not dop a car, like some people drop their motorbikes everywhere, but it's not that difficult –I talk from Samui experience since 2001, so about 16½ year in parking cars on this island – and you may just get some healthy exercise from walking from the parking to where ever you're heading...:smile:

Wise words as ever khunPer. I'm definitely going to look at the car option on my next visit. I like a bit of walking anyway :thumbsup:

1. If you are an experienced MC driver and have a MC driving licence, go for it. 

2. No MC Driving licence and little experience, rent a cheap jeep. 

I have Thai MC driving licence and 19 years experience driving bikes on Samui, when I go with my son, I take the jeep. 

'4 wheels and a roof' is the bare minimum IMO, and you can add 'seatbelts, dashcam and fully comp insurance' to the small print to further reduce any unnecessary risk. I rode bikes here for 9 years without so much as skidding but gave it up due to the extreme cull rate among foreigners & realization that my luck would run out if i didn't.

Yesterday @ 7am two schoolkids on a chicken-chaser deliberately 'wheelied' up the Naton-bound lane of 4 seasons hill to impress their mate following behind.

I no longer bother uploading the clips.

17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

1. Should I face my fear, take extra care and go back to the bikes? If so are there places where I could rent a good quality helmet as opposed to the egg shells you get from the bike rental companies?

If you pass #1 of PoorSuckers list below and wish to hire a bike I would suggest you bring your own helmet (you won't get anything worth using from any of the rental companies)...no motorcycle license and/or limited experience then forget it

12 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

1. If you are an experienced MC driver and have a MC driving licence, go for it. 

2. No MC Driving licence and little experience, rent a cheap jeep. 

Thanks guys.  I don't have an MC license and I'm far from being an experienced rider. I only used bikes on Samui in the past because it was so easy to get around on them, and I had the misconception that if I go fairly slow I won't come to any harm. I didn't even wear a helmet.  Feel pretty stupid about that now...

Anyway, it's time I checked out those Jeeps!

Without a licence its riskier due to lack of experience but many do it. You should know if you are a safe rider. Mostly its speed that kills. Ideally take your own helmet or buy a "Real" helmet, they are DOT approved and usually 2000 baht. I ride in Pattaya, i wouldn't want to drive a car here, i enjoy riding. Make sure you have travel insurance that covers the bike

Agree that experience is the main thing.

It isn't that expensive to do a two-day Compulsary Basic Training motorbike course in the UK (not sure if that is where you are from?). What I learnt there has stayed with me since. If I hadn't done that, plus a couple of years as a MC courier in London (which can also be like the Wild West!) I dread to think how I would be equipped to negotiate the roads of Koh Samui / Phangan. 

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Agree that experience is the main thing.

It isn't that expensive to do a two-day Compulsary Basic Training motorbike course in the UK (not sure if that is where you are from?). What I learnt there has stayed with me since. If I hadn't done that, plus a couple of years as a MC courier in London (which can also be like the Wild West!) I dread to think how I would be equipped to negotiate the roads of Koh Samui / Phangan. 

Good advice.  To be honest I was never comfortable / confident on a bike, and it's not something that gives me any pleasure.  That is unless I'm on an empty open road with no other vehicles in sight. I probably resembled a frightened rabbit in the headlights every time I was pottering along Chaweng Beach road.

So best I explore the Jeep option now I think...

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Anyway, it's time I checked out those Jeeps!

The small Suzuki Caribbean jeeps are great, also fun; however, if one is not native left-hand driver, one may change to a wrong gear in the beginning.

I drove motorbike my first few days on Samui – not having a license, and not been driving motorbike for around 30-ears, but I had been driving the small bikes that I legally could drive without a license in my home country back in the happy hippie era, when I was young – however driving without a motorbike license may be extremely unwise, as an insurance probably don't cover, including one's own travel insurance. Furthermore I remembered that cool men don't use helmet, I neither did that...:cool:

But at the end of the day I was not that cool, that I felt safe on a motorbike – image the traffic in 2001, and I was mainly driving in evenings, where it was the sleeping dogs on the roads, rather than cars and traffic, that was the dangerous part, not to forget the infamous "black holes" – so after two days I decided my life was worth more than the 350 baht a day I saved by renting a motorbike instead of a little jeep, when I found out I could rent one for 500 baht a day from God himself; well that was the name of the man renting out old worn out jeeps in Maenam, "God Maenam"...:thumbsup:

For many years I rented Caribbean jeeps, later slightly less worn out for same low price on a long term agreement, and that was really great; especially as the roads back then was not that good, and the small 4WD jeeps were also perfect up hills. I can warm recommend them.

However, with the condition of Samui's roads today a small Toyota Vios, or the like, could be a more pleasant same-price alternative – more pleasant to drive than a Caribbean jeep – and it also use less fuel, and is easier to park; a 4WD needs more space to turn. I'm past jeep-era now – but did manage to experience the fun of a real Chrysler Jeep for little more than 8 years – and now I'm having a Toyota Avanza, which was almost paid for by the difference in fuel consumption...:laugh:. It's a small and very practical car – not cool at all...:unsure: – but a pleasure to drive and easy to park, and (very) affordable in fuel...:smile:

Good advice.  To be honest I was never comfortable / confident on a bike, and it's not something that gives me any pleasure.  That is unless I'm on an empty open road with no other vehicles in sight. I probably resembled a frightened rabbit in the headlights every time I was pottering along Chaweng Beach road.

Taxi bikes believe it or not are very skilful they ride 7 days a week long days so should be skilful. I'd opt for one of them rather than a car. For a long trip yeah a car is a good idea but around town or Koh Samui I'm not so sure. Make sure you wear a helmet though

I'm an experienced motorcyclist and have a motorbike on Samui. I hardly ever use it. You're just rolling the dice of bad luck every time you go out on the ring road. I'm lucky that I also have the use of a car.

Most western holiday insurance will only cover you on a bike up to 125cc and only if you are correctly licensed.  Read the small print. 

To be correctly licensed you need a Thai Driving license. Only available to those with the appropriate O/A visa. Or an International driving license.  Your home country driving license does not count.  A western insurance company is unlikely to pay out if you are unlicensed and therefore riding illegally.

If none of this puts you off at least go and buy a proper crash helmet. Minimum ฿3,000.  The one you might be given by the rental shop will be almost as good as useless.

Having said all of that do still come to Samui on holiday. It is a wonderful place.

12 minutes ago, CaptainWindsock said:

To be correctly licensed you need a Thai Driving license. Only available to those with the appropriate O/A visa. Or an International driving license.  Your home country driving license does not count. 

If on holiday you don't need a Thai licence. However, any Non Imm visa holder, can apply for a Thai licence.

Your home country licence certainly does count, as the IDP is just a translation of your original licence and not a licence in it's own right.

If you don't have a home licence then you can not get an IDP.

However, I agree with most of the posts above. I enjoy riding my scooter though, so will continue to do so whilst exercising the utmost caution.

I'm an experienced motorcyclist and have a motorbike on Samui. I hardly ever use it. You're just rolling the dice of bad luck every time you go out on the ring road. I'm lucky that I also have the use of a car.

Most western holiday insurance will only cover you on a bike up to 125cc and only if you are correctly licensed.  Read the small print. 

To be correctly licensed you need a Thai Driving license. Only available to those with the appropriate O/A visa. Or an International driving license.  Your home country driving license does not count.  A western insurance company is unlikely to pay out if you are unlicensed and therefore riding illegally.

If none of this puts you off at least go and buy a proper crash helmet. Minimum ฿3,000.  The one you might be given by the rental shop will be almost as good as useless.

Having said all of that do still come to Samui on holiday. It is a wonderful place.
You can get a 2 year Thai driving licence with a tourist visa, i know I have one

55 minutes ago, CaptainWindsock said:

To be correctly licensed you need a Thai Driving license. Only available to those with the appropriate O/A visa. 

You can get a temporary two year driving licence on any visa. 

To get permanent 5 year DL you need to have a non immigrant visa. 

There is no "international driving licence" (fakes you can buy online). 

It's called IDP,  international driving permit. 

19 hours ago, Neilly said:

If you pass #1 of PoorSuckers list below and wish to hire a bike I would suggest you bring your own helmet (you won't get anything worth using from any of the rental companies)...no motorcycle license and/or limited experience then forget it

The helmet I bought in Thailand was good enough to save my life, and no helmet will save anyone run down by a truck or having a go to woah in 0.1 seconds against an immovable object.

Frankly, anyone never ridden bikes before is an idiot if they think they can arrive in a foreign country, rent a bike and have happy trails. Even if they just get injured, without a bike licence in their own country their travel insurance probably won't cover them in LOS.

Obviously, most people that rent bikes never have an accident, or there wouldn't be any bikes left to rent, but it's just luck, for the most part.

I passed ( in a resort 4x4 ) a family on Phangan that had rented bikes for all 4 and decided to go on the road to Than Sadet ( long time ago when it was just mud- could still be for all I know ). The rest of them were gathered around mum that had skidded into the undergrowth. They hadn't even got 10 meters down the mud. Meanwhile, a Thai family of 4 passed by on one small m'bike.

Elsewhere, in Had Rin, the sight of young farang tourists bandaged up was not uncommon, as they had crashed their rented bikes going over the ( sealed ) hill just before Rin beach.

Unless things have changed a lot, I don't see why it is necessary to rent a bike anyway. I just used the local songtheaws and walked, and always enjoyed my stays. Be different if I was an expat living there, obviously.

PS, given that it is normal practice to have to hand over the passport to rent a bike, and local bike renters don't have damage insurance worth a pile of poo, one is stupid to do so, IMO, for all the logical reasons.

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

The small Suzuki Caribbean jeeps are great, also fun; however, if one is not native left-hand driver, one may change to a wrong gear in the beginning.

I drove motorbike my first few days on Samui – not having a license, and not been driving motorbike for around 30-ears, but I had been driving the small bikes that I legally could drive without a license in my home country back in the happy hippie era, when I was young – however driving without a motorbike license may be extremely unwise, as an insurance probably don't cover, including one's own travel insurance. Furthermore I remembered that cool men don't use helmet, I neither did that...:cool:

But at the end of the day I was not that cool, that I felt safe on a motorbike – image the traffic in 2001, and I was mainly driving in evenings, where it was the sleeping dogs on the roads, rather than cars and traffic, that was the dangerous part, not to forget the infamous "black holes" – so after two days I decided my life was worth more than the 350 baht a day I saved by renting a motorbike instead of a little jeep, when I found out I could rent one for 500 baht a day from God himself; well that was the name of the man renting out old worn out jeeps in Maenam, "God Maenam"...:thumbsup:

For many years I rented Caribbean jeeps, later slightly less worn out for same low price on a long term agreement, and that was really great; especially as the roads back then was not that good, and the small 4WD jeeps were also perfect up hills. I can warm recommend them.

However, with the condition of Samui's roads today a small Toyota Vios, or the like, could be a more pleasant same-price alternative – more pleasant to drive than a Caribbean jeep – and it also use less fuel, and is easier to park; a 4WD needs more space to turn. I'm past jeep-era now – but did manage to experience the fun of a real Chrysler Jeep for little more than 8 years – and now I'm having a Toyota Avanza, which was almost paid for by the difference in fuel consumption...:laugh:. It's a small and very practical car – not cool at all...:unsure: – but a pleasure to drive and easy to park, and (very) affordable in fuel...:smile:

Great advice :thumbsup:

I agree it's worth paying the extra to increase the chances of leaving the island alive!

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Taxi bikes believe it or not are very skilful they ride 7 days a week long days so should be skilful. I'd opt for one of them rather than a car. For a long trip yeah a car is a good idea but around town or Koh Samui I'm not so sure. Make sure you wear a helmet though

I've used those before and felt relatively safe.  No helmet though. Do they usually have a spare with them? I assume it's not going to be a good quality helmet, but better than nothing.

7 hours ago, CaptainWindsock said:

Some more sound advice here.  Thanks.

And trust me, after 18 years of going to Samui I won't let my fear of riding bikes stop me :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unless things have changed a lot, I don't see why it is necessary to rent a bike anyway. I just used the local songtheaws and walked, and always enjoyed my stays.

I agree to an extent.  But sometimes I just like to ride/drive to nowhere in particular, just looking around at the scenery.  It's not easy to explain that to a songtheaw driver.

I've used those before and felt relatively safe.  No helmet though. Do they usually have a spare with them? I assume it's not going to be a good quality helmet, but better than nothing.
I've got an idea, get a Thai bird while you're out there and she can drive you around on a bike

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I've got an idea, get a Thai bird while you're out there and she can drive you around on a bike

And if she crashes I won't get hurt? Cool! :laugh:

Just now, CG1 Blue said:
4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

And if she crashes I won't get hurt? Cool! :laugh:

Actually that reminds me of my one and only bike 'accident' on Samui. Sitting on the back of the bird's bike - she had just parked. Then the taxi parked ahead of us just started reversing until it knocked the bike over. Only got a couple of nasty bruises, but it reminded me just how fragile we are.

I'm seriously afraid that I need to upgrade my view on motorbike safety at Koh Samui, after the incident yesterday.

I luckily snapped this real hybrid invention with my dash cam, and if combined with a helmet, I believe this car tire solution, presume 4WD off road is best, will limit many a tilting Samui-tattoo, or the risk of being squeezed between two cars; and it's probably also more safe than riding pillion of a bird...

20180215_cartie3_big.jpg.5613b60b84b3be7e5956e9090568af20.jpg

If you are fearful, don't do it. You'll react inappropriately under stress. If you are a drinker, don't do it. If you like taking risks, don't do it.

If you are of the mind that anything can happen and you are ready for it, then ride. 

Don't expect everyone to play by the rules, so keep your eyes on the road ahead and your mirrors positioned properly.

If pottering around the island, no need to go quicker than 40 km/hr most of the time. 

But a good road user doesn't need us to tell them.

Archived