'Numerous fatalities' at Florida high school after ex-student opens fire

webfact

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

PARKLAND, FL—In the hours following a violent rampage in Florida in which a lone attacker killed 17 individuals and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Wednesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Indiana resident Harold Turner, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do?

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1823016659

I have no problem with people owning guns, but the AR-15 and any of the rapid fire, assault type weapons should be banned for civilians.   They have absolutely no place in a civil society.   They are basically a war type weapon.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Credo said:

I have no problem with people owning guns, but the AR-15 and any of the rapid fire, assault type weapons should be banned for civilians.   They have absolutely no place in a civil society.   They are basically a war type weapon.

Not just rapid fire and assault weapons, Ban hand guns too...

And strict controls on who can obtain a firearms licence in the first place.

Works well in the UK.

Edited by Basil B
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Not just rapid fire and assault weapons, Ban hand guns too...

And strict controls on who can obtain a firearms licence in the first place.

Works well in the UK.

The US is a little different than the UK and guns have a place in the country.   Anyone who has lived in the US, especially in the West will know that there are a lot of natural dangers.   My family routinely sees coyotes in the yard and bobcats and the occasional Mountain Lion strolls through.   No one shoots them unless they become threatening, which is infrequent, but it does happen.   

Like it or not, it is enshrined in the Constitution, but that doesn't mean that the type of weapon can't be regulated.   

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know of at least one country where it is possible to own more or less as many long weapons as one wants ( even a 50 cal ) and where zero school shootings have occurred. It's definitely an American thing, IMO.

What country?

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I have a hypothetical question. If there was a mass school shooting in the USA every school day would anything change? I honestly don't think so. The gun nut culture is that ingrained.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well actually it is not really that hypothetical is it. There have been 20 school shootings already in 2018 in the USA and as of 15 February, with New year Holidays and weekends I reckon there have been 32 school days since the beginning of the year, so we are currently running at 1 school shooting every 1.5 days and guess what, despite being so close to your (hardly) hypothetical situation, nothing is changing and you are correct - nothing will change. An inconvenient truth if ever there was one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not at all, but armed guards patrolling schools would deter the potential offenders.

The number of school shootings this year are 19, and the number of weapons out there are in the multi millions. It takes but one gun to make 20.

Leaving schools undefended is tantamount to welcoming in the shooters.

"Leaving schools undefended is tantamount to welcoming in the shooters."

So restaurants,  gas stations, laundromats, swimming pools, high school football games and city busses all should have armed guards?  

Make the schools safe with an armed guard all one needs to do is go to the parking lot, the school bus, the grocery store, the mall anywhere that people may  congregate. 

what do you hunt with an AR15 other than humans?   I am lucky to have had my childhood when a child could be innocent.  America needs to look deep into it's soul and ask itself is this what makes America great?  Do military grade assault rifles need to be in civilian's hands.

Edited by isaanbanhou
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

"Leaving schools undefended is tantamount to welcoming in the shooters."

So restaurants,  gas stations, laundromats, swimming pools, high school football games and city busses all should have armed guards?  

Make the schools safe with an armed guard all one needs to do is go to the parking lot, the school bus, the grocery store, the mall anywhere that people may  congregate. 

what do you hunt with an AR15 other than humans?   I am lucky to have had my childhood when a child could be innocent.  America needs to look deep into it's soul and ask itself is this what makes America great?  Do military grade assault rifles need to be in civilian's hands.

Also there was an armed guard at the school,

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/students-parents-desperate-for-answers-as-police-investigate-florida-school-massacre/700384328

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, riclag said:

AK's are already banned,that didn't stop that nutjob.

It has been reported the killer's AK47 was legally purchased. For those interested, below are Florida's gun laws, they seem ridiculous given events in the US.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/florida-gun-laws-trnd/index.html

24 minutes ago, simple1 said:

It has been reported the killer's AK47 was legally purchased. For those interested, below are Florida's gun laws, they seem ridiculous given events in the US.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/florida-gun-laws-trnd/index.html

Actually it was an AR15 the commercial version of the  military M16 with the fully automatic function removed.

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Sure, that's why it was necessary to take rifles and shotguns to school.

The guns lived in the truck so I wasn't bringing the guns to school specifically but the truck was my transportation. The guns were there because we would shoot gophers and badgers that were digging up our fields, coyotes in the winter for fur, and deer and pheasants in the fall.  A gun didn't do you much good at home. In fact it would have been odd to not have a gun in the truck. But the point is that sane people can live with guns just fine. The problem in the schools is the kids are really messed up. Fix the breakdown of society and the killings will stop.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wayned said:

Actually it was an AR15 the commercial version of the  military M16 with the fully automatic function removed.

Understood. Believe requires just a trigger pull per round discharged until magazine is empty. Still comes across as ridiculous civilians can buy such firepower so easily. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/us/ar15-mass-shootings-guns.html

• Like 1

Just another day in America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/wp/2018/02/15/trump-renews-nations-commitment-to-simply-ignore-gun-violence-and-hope-it-goes-away/

Trump renews nation’s commitment to simply ignore gun violence and hope it goes away

“It is not enough to simply take actions that make us feel like we are making a difference. We must actually make that difference,” Trump said, affirming that as a nation, we stand firm in our resolve that, in order to prevent future gun tragedies, we will do our level best to move on by lunch. This will send a strong message to anyone seeking notoriety from committing this sort of atrocity: 

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

Yes arming a selection of teachers is in order. On prevention  I understand that someone reported to FBI this locos online threats . But as usual after the fact when it is also reported that attackers were " on radar" nothing was done pro active. Seems some of these management SAPS at FBI think civil rights/privacy are more valued than public safety.

13 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Yes arming a selection of teachers is in order. On prevention  I understand that someone reported to FBI this locos online threats . But as usual after the fact when it is also reported that attackers were " on radar" nothing was done pro active. Seems some of these management SAPS at FBI think civil rights/privacy are more valued than public safety.

From my reading law enforcement do not have sufficient legislation enabling them to permanently remove weapons/s legally acquired by the mentally ill.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-sad-reality-of-trying-to-keep-guns-away-from-mentally-ill-people

Edited by simple1