Brighter Butts, Darker Futures

webfact

OPINION

Brighter Butts, Darker Futures

By Tuptim Malakul Lane Na Ayutthaya

sdfdfg-696x464.jpg

Walk into any high-end department store in Bangkok and find an immense display of cosmetic brands from Avon to Yves Saint Laurent. Whatever their primary purpose, they all share one prominent feature – making parts of your body whiter.

There are whitening lotions, creams and deodorants. There’s even whitening sunblock to get whatever the opposite of a tan is.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2018/02/15/brighter-butts-darker-futures/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-02-15
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, meechai said:

This odd phenomenon is only in Thailand as far as I have seen

Elsewhere folks still seem to worship a tan regardless of sun risk

But in Thailand white=might/right

Dark= poor farmer

Sad what they teach the kids thru these advertisements

I would say it is pretty common across Asia. Very similar in places like India etc. 

It is such a ridiculous cultural thing though. There really is nothing attractive about an Asian woman with fake features and awful unnatural white skin. 

• Like 2

Well, the Swiss claim is one thing and possibly as fake as the rest of the advertised do-gooder-rubbish. 

Even better is the BTS ads referring to "snail white"; anyone out there being able to help me the equation between a snail and white? Not of vital importance but yet another proof that customers want to be cheated and lied upon and pay premiums for this service. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yardrunner said:

perhaps the question should also be asked, why do European women get fake tans so that they look brown

I've long believed that it's because, only richer people can afford long winter-sun holidays to exotic-places like the Carribean/Thailand, so the opposite of the apparent Asian logic, that darker-skin means you work long-hours in the agricultural-industry ?

On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 12:42 PM, meechai said:

This odd phenomenon is only in Thailand as far as I have seen

Elsewhere folks still seem to worship a tan regardless of sun risk

But in Thailand white=might/right

Dark= poor farmer

Sad what they teach the kids thru these advertisements

Dark= poor farmer.   Exactly , this is why my wife would rather go 2k in the car rather than on the bike , if she is told we are going on the bike she puts a jacket on to shield the sun.

My eldest comes out here and would like to spend all day  , if the kids let her , lying in the sun .  White = holiday in Land of Sun.