Help me with advise, scooter accident!

Freediving94

Help me please! Scooter accident 

I had a miner scooter accident on Lanta in May last year. I broked my ankle and the scooter got some scratches and small bumps. At the time I was really broke and since I know that these rental companies charge so much extra if something happens I decided to not return it. I left it the hostel I stayed at and went home to Europe.Maybe this action wasn’t the best idea but I was alone and obviously couldn’t walk and I didn’t have the energy to bothering asking for help.

What’s done is done. Anyhow, now to my Question;

I want to go to Thailand again some day, hopefully this year for  a 3-4 week holiday . 

Do you think I will have trouble at the border/ airport while entering the country??

I left my driving license at the rental place so my  worst scenario theori is that the renal company made a police report( theft?).

And then somehow they forwarded this to the border patrol and that once they scan my passport ( which has the exact same name on as my driving license) it will blink “red” in there system and the will arrest me. 

I hope that I’m exaggerating but I need send out this question before I book a flight. 

What do you think?

Hope I explained myself correct , if not just ask.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pray that the bike somehow made it back to the rental company because if it didn't, they would have filed a police report and the police would have tried to contact you, not been able to and it's quite plausible that an arrest warrant was issued.....not a stretch at all for this to happen.  If that is the case, it will be VERY tricky to sort it out before returning to Thailand and it will be VERY painful to sort it out once you return - and it might be too late to simply pay money to get it sorted.  And then there is the issue of damages...

My advice would be to contact the rental company before you return to Thailand and get everything sorted out.

• Like 2

i think this is a case of the op not telling the truth?  common here to emit certain aspects of story. u say the bike had some scratches and small bumps. was the rental shop legitimate person who was reasonable.  i suspect on lanta they were. lanta tends to be fair place. contact the scooter owner u dink. why are u asking us here for answer right infront of your face?  contact scooter owner.  on the phone............tell him you are sorry . u will pay for damage. u might get lucky. otherwise ..........take your chances at airport i would say its a 50/50 risk for you if u wanna live on the run

• Like 1

They have to show that you intended to permanently deprive the owner of his scooter to prove theft... which you did not do. (Unless the scooter never resurfaced)

they have a DL in the name of... you. But how many people in the world have that name? I doubt that the name alone would get you arrested.... imagine if dick Smith did this... would every dick Smith get pulled up at immigrations?

youll probably be fine... if I’m wrong, then the excuse would be that you were confused and on pain meds etc, and forgot all about it due to the stress, plus any other BS that you can think off

if I’m wrong... well shit hey ?????

• Like 2

You did the right thing at the time as you would have been ripped off for sure so eff 'em, they'll get over it.  As for coming back, don't push your luck and quit while you're ahead as there is a good chance you'll be lifted at the airport.

Or, change your name, get a new passport or try the Philippines. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So did you just chuck the motorbike in the jungle or did you leave it somewhere for people to see?

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

they have a DL in the name of... you. But how many people in the world have that name? I doubt that the name alone would get you arrested.... imagine if dick Smith did this... would every dick Smith get pulled up at immigrations?

If the owner paid a few ฿฿฿ they could have scanned the immigration database of tourists in the country during this time and match the name, DOB, country and photo of your licence with your entry and your passport number in the immigration database.

Personally, I think you'll be fine. Stolen bikes (or 'bikes not returned') are seen as running costs by many rental shops. They make a fortune on the bikes anyway, making their money back on the purchase price in less than one year. One English guy on Samui told me that he 'already lost 6 bikes in the past few months'. Apparently, this is a pastime mostly favoured by Thais. Bikes usually don't come back so I doubt the shop would go through the hassle of informing the police who do <deleted> all anyway.

So don't think too much and just call the shop.

If he reported you then youre going to be spending some time until you settle it with the owner of the bike. The things are that he now can say that the whole bike was damaged and you get 1 week to get an equal one which is almost impossible since you will be detained. Or buy a brand new one which is around 55000 for a click up to pcx 82000. They can detain you and will ask you for more money to let you go etc etc etc. So youre misstake is going to cost you alot unfortunately

10 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

the damages was likely below 10.000 baht

Assuming the rental company recovered the motorbike.

They, or their insurance company if they bothered to insure it, could easily claim far more and I doubt the O/P would (or should) receive a sympathetic hearing in court.

Edited by Suradit69