Money pours in for Brit and Thai wife and child down on their luck in Buriram

webfact

19 hours ago, smedly said:

surely he has a UK state pension of some sort and no harm to him but his health issues look like he has stuffed himself over the years into a slug state, does he smoke drink ?

Pretty sad state of affairs that only he has responsibility for

If he's been here 30 years he might not have much of a state pension owed to him. Chances are he hasn't kept up with his Nation Insurance payments, so no state pension. 

There's a lot to be said for saving for your future, and staying in shape. 

12 minutes ago, draks said:

You guys are so judgemental, this guy has made mistakes, and is now paying for it. All of you are so perfect you have never made a mistake in your life? You live your perfect little lives and look down on people, not as perfect as you.

I have always said to live in Asia you should have an outside income. Many men come to southeast Asia and end up on the streets begging, usually bad planning, but also, being scammed out of everything. But for the grace of God go I. It's extremely easy to lose everything in Asia

Posters should note that GB (separate thread along the same lines) has died.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, colinneil said:

My wife has seen some Thai news about this man.

Apparently he worked for a company in Pattaya.

He fell in the bathroom at home, unable to get up, unable to go to work, so the company did not pay him.

They lived in a rented house, unable to continue to pay the rent, his wife took him to her mothers house in Lahansai, so Nick that is why he is unknown in Lahansai.

I say again the problems he has are of his own making, living for today, and making no provision for the future.

I have in the past helped people who are in dire straights, but will not help anybody who brings problems on themselves.

I'm sorry but I feel the same way as you - he's made no effort to sort out his or his families future. I was married myself and have a young boy aged 5, the first thing I did was rebuild the upper wooden shack the family lived in, now they have one of the best homes in the village, then I invested in 2600 rubber plants on my father in-laws land (top bloke and a hard worker), yield due to start this year. I'm now divorced and plan to retire to Thailand myself in 2 years (aged 52),  I won't be rich but will have a few million baht savings and around 30,000 baht pension, and about 2M baht in collectable banknotes / coins which I intend to trade online, just to make a few baht. 

My point being, I'm not without compassion and will (have) helped those in need, but this is becoming all too common, farangs being in LOS with no funds is not good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, catman20 said:

your dead right

It's based on residence.  He would return to UK with the intention of resuming residency.  And anyway, he can deny being abroad.  However, he may not be fit enough to return anyway.  Looks to me that he isn't capable of doing much.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, draks said:

You guys are so judgemental, this guy has made mistakes, and is now paying for it. All of you are so perfect you have never made a mistake in your life? You live your perfect little lives and look down on people, not as perfect as you.

I have always said to live in Asia you should have an outside income. Many men come to southeast Asia and end up on the streets begging, usually bad planning, but also, being scammed out of everything. But for the grace of God go I. It's extremely easy to lose everything in Asia

yes, he's made mistakes.....but he repeated them consistently for 30 years! No excuses. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Incorrect.....If entitled to anything, He is entitled to it now at 65. This is the last year when it can be claimed at 65.

With no increment increases when not normally residing in the UK.    I am 75 and live here and get 86 pound a week old pension  because I live here,   in the Philippines you get full and increment increases.

A friend same age retired to the Philippines at 65 and gets 150 pound a week pension, and receives yearly increment increases

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

I'm sorry but I feel the same way as you - he's made no effort to sort out his or his families future. I was married myself and have a young boy aged 5, the first thing I did was rebuild the upper wooden shack the family lived in, now they have one of the best homes in the village, then I invested in 2600 rubber plants on my father in-laws land (top bloke and a hard worker), yield due to start this year. I'm now divorced and plan to retire to Thailand myself in 2 years (aged 52),  I won't be rich but will have a few million baht savings and around 30,000 baht pension, and about 2M baht in collectable banknotes / coins which I intend to trade online, just to make a few baht. 

My point being, I'm not without compassion and will (have) helped those in need, but this is becoming all too common, farangs being in LOS with no funds is not good.

You've done well, but not everyone can be like you, in fact most can't! 

Other than that you make a valid case for not helping. But where does it lead? 

• Like 1

Do people actually check their UK entitlement or just read the rubbish on TV spouted by many.

I emigrated to Australia a long time ago and qualified for a full Australian pension and felt very satisfied, this with other assets funds my lifestyle in Thailand very well.

I happened to notice on Facebook an ad for pension consultants and followed it up, surprise,surprise, I ended up with an ongoing UK pension paid into my Thai account, not a large sum but certainly a bonus.

As I am over the age of acceptance for medical insurance, also having had a stent, this just goes into the pot to pay the hospital or the final party at the Wat bill.

I would suggest this chap checks his options, he may get some help.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

Be careful, you sound like so many that have gone before you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

You've done well, but not everyone can be like you, in fact most can't! 

Other than that you make a valid case for not helping. But where does it lead? 

Thanks "mommysboy" but hey, fingers crossed - there's no guarantees for me either.  I wish this bloke all the good luck he can muster, especially for his wife and childs sake, it breaks my heart to see the poor children in Thailand, when I do move there full time, I plan to do something for the local Orphanages / poor families so you may see my appeals on here - but it won't be for me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

How do you know?

Got an inside story-any additional information?

Considering he's been in LOS for 30 years? I'd guess it's not difficult to work out - year 1: No savings plan, no medical insurance ect, year 2: No savings plan, no medical insurance ect, year 3: ? need I go on? 

• Like 1

Life is damn tough, however we must realize we are all going to get sick and die. The lucky ones go fast. Now it seems alot of begging is going on! It is distasteful. I am old and very sick, am hopeful my Military (100%) disablty will pay. I will have a deductible that must be met. I feel is wrong but must be paid, I served 20 years was promised better. We all have to play our hand we are dealt! Now get on with it! 

Now my wonderful Thai wife takes partial care of me, I hobble around do what I can. It will get worse or maybe I will be lucky? I did not deserve her,  I can not shower her with gold and lots of money, I do not have it I am broke except for my disability pay! God bless you all even Mr. Briar who might be dead I do not know!

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

Considering he's been in LOS for 30 years? I'd guess it's not difficult to work out - year 1: No savings plan, no medical insurance ect, year 2: No savings plan, no medical insurance ect, year 3: ? need I go on? 

So,in short-you know nothing about the man..

...and just blowin' smoke.

May I refer you to Dr Elias Aboujaoude?

Edited by Odysseus123

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Be careful, you sound like so many that have gone before you.

Thanks for the advice - but since my divorce, I intend to stay single in LOS - no more marriages, no more kids - I have a great network of expat mates (been going to LOS for 10 years), in the last 8 years I've been there every 10 weeks for a holiday.  I totally get where you're coming from and have given the same advice to others.  But hey - we still fall in love every trip to Thailand 5555555

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ginjag said:

With no increment increases when not normally residing in the UK.    I am 75 and live here and get 86 pound a week old pension  because I live here,   in the Philippines you get full and increment increases.

£86 is £26  more per week than the full basic UK State pension if claimed this year!?!

Edited by SunsetT
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

£86 is £26  more per week than the full basic UK State pension if claimed this year!?!

Full UK pension is approx 150 pound,  at 65 The pension was 86 pound and at 75 I still get it with living in Thailand

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

What are you on about  ???  claimed  ??   pension goes into the bank direct debit and still does, 86 quid the same as it did in 2007

Edited by ginjag
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spoon1967 said:

Thanks for the advice - but since my divorce, I intend to stay single in LOS - no more marriages, no more kids - I have a great network of expat mates (been going to LOS for 10 years), in the last 8 years I've been there every 10 weeks for a holiday.  I totally get where you're coming from and have given the same advice to others.  But hey - we still fall in love every trip to Thailand 5555555

get a vasectomy then if you dont want kids, i did best thing i ever done 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, smedly said:

surely he has a UK state pension of some sort and no harm to him but his health issues look like he has stuffed himself over the years into a slug state, does he smoke drink ?

Pretty sad state of affairs that only he has responsibility for

UK state pension is not a charity pay-out... you get out what you pay in!!

If he's been over here 30 years then he's got next to nothing as far as pension goes...
should have saved his Baht while he was earning over here to make provision for his retirement...

now he's stopped earning he's become a "beggar"

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

UK state pension is not a charity pay-out... you get out what you pay in!!

If he's been over here 30 years then he's got next to nothing as far as pension goes...
should have saved his Baht while he was earning over here to make provision for his retirement...

now he's stopped earning he's become a "beggar"

You do NOT get out what you pay in it is controlled --depends what country you reside in.

• Like 1