Top ten ways to avoid Dengue Fever

webfact

Top ten ways to avoid Dengue Fever

Conservatively, at least 50 million people contract dengue each year. Dengue is thought to cause around 20,000 deaths per year. Prevention is the best cure.

By Tim Newton

1200px-Aedes_aegypti.jpg

Most of Phuket is jungle. Most of the east coast is mangroves. Mosquitoes thrive in both. You’re in their domain and they’re not going anywhere just because you want to live here or are on your vacation. Aedes aegypti carry Dengue Fever which is very prevalent in south east asian countries.

1. Most mosquitoes ‘hang around’ close to the ground so your feet and legs dangling under the table are an easy target and out of sight. You won’t hear them buzzing under there over the clinking of glasses and the tuk tuks whizzing by. If you’re heading out to dinner take some repellant for your legs, the lower on the legs, the more likely you are to be bitten there. Most restaurants and bars will have some spray – just ask them.

mosquito-hiding-place-backyard.jpg

2. We love the sunsets. And for the morning people, sunrises. So do Aedes aegypti, the type of mosquitoes that carry Dengue. So these times of the day you need extra precautions against mosquitoes. They will be around.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/lifestyle/top-ten-ways-avoid-dengue-fever

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-02-21
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, toolpush said:

Are you referring to mosquitoes or flies? Flies procreate in some types of trash (maggots) but mosquitoes do so in stagnant water.

Are you saying that tyres sitting around with water in them are NOT mosquito breeding grounds?

Dengue and Ross river fever always a bit of a worry in northern Australia. Daughters in-laws family, lost a 7 year old child from dengue in the middle of Bangkok last year.

Personally, feel the odds are better of by using DEET based repellents when risks are high for Mozzi bites rather than go down the road of becoming infected with a mosquito borne disease. Always bring a supply of tropical strength aero guard back from oz which seems to be more effective than the local products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Insect repellant is a good prevention. I noticed with time that the best repellants bought in one's homeland are just not worth the trip...buying local repellant from a reliable outlet has always been much more efficient IMHO, no matter where in the world....,...and even if it's nice to hang around in shorts, top's, minis or tees, it also helps when wearing trousers and clothes that cover one's arms and legs.....don't sit to near any puddles in the street as they are nests for these nasties......

but one question...water in known to attract musquitos....so what about the pool ? Does it attract or do the chemicals in the pool keep these pests at bay ??????

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Insect repellant is a good prevention. I noticed with time that the best repellants bought in one's homeland are just not worth the trip...buying local repellant from a reliable outlet has always been much more efficient IMHO, no matter where in the world....,...and even if it's nice to hang around in shorts, top's, minis or tees, it also helps when wearing trousers and clothes that cover one's arms and legs.....don't sit to near any puddles in the street as they are nests for these nasties......

but one question...water in known to attract musquitos....so what about the pool ? Does it attract or do the chemicals in the pool keep these pests at bay ??????

Dengue mOsquitoes breed in any stagnant water, and the females usually travel no more than 150metres to find their next victim.   Flower pot saucers, bromiliad plants, tyres and backyard junk are all possible breeding sites.

Using a strong Tropical strength repellant is well worth using, as dengue is not known as 'Breakbone Fever" for nothing.

In Thailand, households with outdoor pot plants and lily ponds,  often use what they call "mosquito sand" which stops mosquito eggs from hatching.

• Thanks 1

They seem to be very strict on the dawn and dusk rule, they comply fully in my guesthouse. During the night, nothing, i wait spray in hand for dusk. I get caught out where i make a hasty decision to go get some street food without putting any spray on and they get me. Always below the knee

The Mosquitos in Phuket are also very small and hard to spot. I couldn't figure out where they were all coming from, but the mangrove mention nailed it down.....I lived about a kilometer from a lot of mangroves. My neighbor has had dengue about four times, the first time he was hospitalized in bad shape. I now live outside Korat and the mozzies are bigger and don't seem to bite, and no mangroves here just rice fields.

28 minutes ago, Mansell said:

The Mosquitos in Phuket are also very small and hard to spot. I couldn't figure out where they were all coming from, but the mangrove mention nailed it down.....I lived about a kilometer from a lot of mangroves. My neighbor has had dengue about four times, the first time he was hospitalized in bad shape. I now live outside Korat and the mozzies are bigger and don't seem to bite, and no mangroves here just rice fields.

I think a km is too far for the mozzies.

Are the people recommending repellent with deet not living here? I am asking because living here I think using this long term on a regular basis can't be good for you.

Edited by stevenl

3 hours ago, masuk said:

Dengue mOsquitoes breed in any stagnant water, and the females usually travel no more than 150metres to find their next victim.   Flower pot saucers, bromiliad plants, tyres and backyard junk are all possible breeding sites.

Using a strong Tropical strength repellant is well worth using, as dengue is not known as 'Breakbone Fever" for nothing.

In Thailand, households with outdoor pot plants and lily ponds,  often use what they call "mosquito sand" which stops mosquito eggs from hatching.

Hey thanks for the useful information. Any idea however if the water in a swimming pool can attract the suckers ? ....Also, what is mosquito sand and where is it applied please ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, masuk said:

Actually it's a very good idea to have a pond with some nice flowers. Not only it's looking beautiful, it attracts the female mosquito to lay here eggs in it. When eggs are hatched they become valuable fish food for the fishes in the pond. 

So much better that they lay the eggs in a pond, than in neighbors thrown in the garden plastic container.

I guess if every household and every shop have this kind of ponds, it would reduce the amount of mosquitos in a natural way very drastically. 

13 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Hey thanks for the useful information. Any idea however if the water in a swimming pool can attract the suckers ? ....Also, what is mosquito sand and where is it applied please ?

The chemicals in the pool will do the job.

Regarding mosquito sand pls read my post above 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Hupaponics said:

The chemicals in the pool will do the job.

Regarding mosquito sand pls read my post above 

Cheers

Interesting, "mosquito sand", any further information such as what it is called in Thai, where it can be purchased, or packaging details would go a long way and would be a great help.  Thanks in advance.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Not a big deal. I got it 2 years ago. Was like a flew. Took some Paracetamol and drank a lot. I mean water..... After 2 weeks forgotten already. But I know a second time could be worse. 

Hmm, I was in hospital for a week with 41 degrees fever.

It can be flue like or it can be life threatening.

• Like 2

Temephos (the larvicide in the sand) is an organophosphate.

Please explain exactly how the sand is used. You seem to be saying that you put a spoonful of sand in a container of water, so what you get is sand at the bottom and a weak solution of Temephos in the water.

Is that it? You are essentially putting a spoonful of larvicide in the jars. Are these then left around the property as killing jars to attract and kill mosquito larvae?

If you didn't have any water-filled jars around the house, maybe you wouldn't have as many mosquitoes?

Temephos (the larvicide in the sand) is an organophosphate.

Please explain exactly how the sand is used. You seem to be saying that you put a spoonful of sand in a container of water, so what you get is sand at the bottom and a weak solution of Temephos in the water.

Is that it? You are essentially putting a spoonful of larvicide in the jars. Are these then left around the property as killing jars to attract and kill mosquito larvae?

If you didn't have any water-filled jars around the house, maybe you wouldn't have as many mosquitoes?

I do not have many mosquitos around the house here in Phetchabun area. But we have some of this brown dragon jar for a reason of luck and for decoration. In this jar we have Lotus flowers and of corse water. So, we put the sand in to the jar for not getting new baby mosquitos. This it’s the only reason.
  • Like 1