Trump says arming teachers could prevent school massacres

webfact

5 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Arming teachers only makes sense. Banks, airports, sporting events all have armed protection, what's wrong with school teachers being able to defend themselves? 

The typical Trump logic

• respond to violence by violence. Why bother?

• don't consider the consequences

• don't go to the root of the problem (violent behavior)

• when mortally shot by the villain the teacher/s will kill the villain :shock1:

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Some good points.  Regarding your last paragraph, I can foresee a whole cottage industry of lawyers in business just to sue schools.  Imagine a kid pulls out a toy gun, the teacher panics and shoots him dead.  Or even a real gun, and the teacher shoots him dead.  The parents/lawyers will be all over that teacher/school like white on rice. 

The cost to municipalities is already high when there is a shooting.   Schools are really not equipped financially for that type of cost.   Putting teachers involved in administrative leave is going to be very expensive as well.   

The other issue is that many teachers are not well equipped to conceal carry a weapon.   Most women would have a hard time putting the gun somewhere on their person and the % of teachers is mostly women.   

This is just about the poorest thought out plan I have ever heard of from a president.   A couple of drunks in a bar could probably come up with more constructive ideas.   

27 minutes ago, Familyonthemove said:

The teachers didn't need guns in my old school.  They were professional marksmen with the board duster, and if you weren't concentrating you see stars through a cloud of chalk dust.

I remember that, happy days !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

By your logic they should take the guns away from the cops and soldiers too then. 

Norwegian police don't carry guns so how can they be taken away? 

Soldiers are issued weapons from an armory when the are deployed but I note they cannot be deployed withing the US. 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

This all gives new meaning; to a teacher conducting a Course Critique after each Semester...

I remember them well - in that they were jokingly called 'post-mortems', by Student and Instructor alike!

Having an armed teacher makes it all too real; but I'm sure there will be subdued students' open discontent, or at least bravado! 

Here is what "trump" is probably up to. 

Going for tiny things, background check enhancement that already should be done before changing any laws, some technical rules of bump stops (the gun nuts have already stocked up on them .. TOO LATE) and some kind of wishy washy suggestion that STATES might raise the age requirement to buy assault rifles.  No bans. 

Nothing about hand guns which kills over 90 percent of the people killed by guns.

That minor marginal stuff in exchange for what idiotic right wing NRA stuff?

Armed teachers, turning more schools into virtual prisons, and open carry reciprocity between states. 

As is the slogan now from Florida -- I CALL B.S.!

I also have a criticism of the Florida student activists. They are focusing ONLY on school safety. That is way too narrow sighted. Sure, it's horrible that anyone is murdered while going to school,  but it's like they're blind to the majority of the gun violence in the U.S. that also kills young people in other settings than schools and is almost all about HAND GUNS. Murdered by a gun is murdered by a gun. 

I realize the USA can't do what Australia did because of culture and second amendment fetish. But by focusing only on school shootings and not going deeper, the results (if anything) are going to be very minor and marginal and sold as a solution. You've got to go for more for any hope of getting more. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

By your logic they should take the guns away from the cops and soldiers too then. 

Yes ... (?) Several people posting have mentioned countries whose police forces don't routinely carry firearms. Some countries, notably Costa Rica, don't have military forces. One can't be unrealistic about the short term, but what's wrong with setting these kinds of examples as long-term goals? Briefly surveying the past few millennia, one quickly sours on the idea that human beings might be capable of evolution, but nevertheless can't one hold out hope, somehow, that someday we might turn the corner?

1 minute ago, JTXR said:

When it became clear that slavery was no longer acceptable, the U.S. Constitution was changed by  amendment.  When it became clear that denying or abridging women's right to vote, the Constitution was again amended.  When it became clear that prohibition was not viable, a earlier Constitutional amendment was repealed.

It is high time the 2nd Amendment was repealed.

Of course it is, but realistically that is nearly impossible. But there is a glimmer of hope. Restrictions on gun ownership are possible even with that amendment. We need a lot more of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Of course it is, but realistically that is nearly impossible. But there is a glimmer of hope. Restrictions on gun ownership are possible even with that amendment. We need a lot more of them. 

I hope a bit more than a glimmer. What’s required is leadership. A politician determines what people want most to hear and then parrots those desires right back to them. A leader determines the best thing to do and, if he (or she) finds he’s backing a minority opinion, deploys his talent to convince his opponents otherwise. I can’t think of any people capable of that in the United States right now, not on a national level.

19 minutes ago, JTXR said:

When it became clear that slavery was no longer acceptable, the U.S. Constitution was changed by  amendment.  When it became clear that denying or abridging women's right to vote was wrong, the Constitution was again amended.  When it became clear that prohibition was not viable, a earlier Constitutional amendment was repealed.

It is high time the 2nd Amendment was repealed.

It's VERY difficult to do Constitutional Amendments in the U.S. these days about anything, because there are very specific and high bar requirements about what it takes for that to happen.

As much as I'm anti-gun, I'm not sure I'd advocate for total repeal... but certainly change in accord with the original very limited purpose of the amendment.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

You do not have to be a an Einstein to know that idea must have come from the NRA, with 3.2 million teachers in the USA that is a lot of gun sales.

What is worse for many teachers the stress of the job may well see a shortage of teachers with many lasting out their final years on death row... :sad:

• Like 2