Army told to pay mother of slain son

webfact

Army told to pay mother of slain son

By KESINEE TANGKHIEO 
THE NATION 

e172d1dd8ee64dd842c3fa9ea355228b.jpeg

THE CIVIL Court yesterday ordered the Royal Thai Army to pay Bt1.87-million compensation to a woman whose only son died in a military prison two years ago.

Corporal Kittikorn Suthiraphan, 25, was detained at the prison pending an investigation into alleged wrongdoing when the warden and three other inmates fatally attacked him. He died on February 21, 2016. 

The Cross-Cultural Foundation has since helped his mother, Boonruang Suthiraphan, to sue for compensation. 

“We want to set a precedent that an agency will have to take responsibility for damages its members cause while on duty,” the foundation’s lawyer, Preeda Nakpiew, said. “We hope this case will remind all supervisors that they must not be negligent in supervising their subordinates.”

Preeda helped Boonruang lodge an appeal and seek Bt18 million in compensation. 

“In fact, I don’t want money. I want my son back alive,” Boonruang said. 

She said that his death was a big blow, leaving her without financial support. 

The Civil Court calculated the compensation mainly based on the reasonable financial support Boonruang should have received – Bt10,000 a month for a period of 15 years. 

Following Kittikorn’s death, the Army launched a probe and concluded that his four attackers had committed both disciplinary and criminal offences. 

At present, the Office of Public-Sector Anti-Corruption Commission has been handling criminal proceedings against the accused. 

At the time of attack Kittikorn had already been dismissed from military service for alleged wrongdoing. 

Kittikorn had to go to a military prison only because his alleged offence took place at a time he was still in the Army.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339477

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-23

1 hour ago, webfact said:

She said that his death was a big blow, leaving her without financial support

Ask for 18M baht, and get 1,8. At least it includes the same choosen numbers. That´s great!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

In fact, I don’t want money. I want my son back alive,” Boonruang said

I would believe that is out of the question. Guess she have to settle for 1,87M or make an appeal.

• Like 1

so did anybody prosecute the attackers?   I would imagine the Army won't be happy paying out money, if they really do pay it out, so I would think they would take some action against the attackers.  But is there any civil prosecution going on.  Oh wait, this is Thailand

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

so did anybody prosecute the attackers?   I would imagine the Army won't be happy paying out money, if they really do pay it out, so I would think they would take some action against the attackers.  But is there any civil prosecution going on.  Oh wait, this is Thailand

Read 3rd to last paragraph, prosecution is ongoing.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

It should not be the 'army' paying them, which is essentially the tax payer. it should come out of the pocket of those who committed the crime and their bosses.

I would say your right, it should come from the people who committed it, i find it a bit too much to say that Prayut should pay (unless directly involved), but those directly responsible should pay. Not only should they pay they should face criminal charges too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

There is only one way to stop deaths at the hands of military personnel. 

Make them pay. And pay a lot. 

Though the compensation was still small. 10000 baht a month for only 15 years. Yearly increase in salary and bonus were not considered. And pain and suffering for the loss of her only son was not considered. 

Still, she got more than most other people whose sons have died whilst under the care of the military. So, definitely a good move in the right direction. 

Its a sad state of affairs.

Lesson we can draw from this: if you kill someone, kill someone old who earns little money.

Saves you a lot of money when you need to pay off the family.

7 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Its a sad state of affairs.

Lesson we can draw from this: if you kill someone, kill someone old who earns little money.

Saves you a lot of money when you need to pay off the family.

The family was not paid off. There was nothing to pay them off for. 

Giving compensation to victims of violence, especially when inflicted by the state, is standard practice in all civilized countries. 

It is a start to acknowledge responsibility. It's a good thing. 

15 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

At present, the Office of Public-Sector Anti-Corruption Commission has been handling criminal proceedings against the accused.  eh?  What court is this?  A civilian court?  Something run by the army?  Well, I guess since the general is in charge of the country everything is under military control