Pattaya’s ban on tour bus vendors a failure

Rimmer

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya officials like to claim they have chased street peddlers and hawkers away from tour buses, but it turns out they’re alive, well and busy on Pattaya Beach.

Vendors selling everything from beach toys to soft drinks to clothing swarmed around tour buses dropping off visitors on Beach Road from 8 a.m. to noon Feb. 16.

While many tourists purchased various items, just as many looked annoyed at being pestered.

Vendors interviewed said they’ve not been daunted by city hall’s crackdown on independent sellers that began more than a year ago. There are numerous groups of peddlers and each has marked out its own territory to avoid conflicts, they said, admitting some concessions are run by organized-crime gangs.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattayas-ban-tour-bus-vendors-failure-202839

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-02-23

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Perhaps they should spend more time concentrating on clean beaches and water.  That is a far worse failure.  Annoying vendors do not give you ear infections or make you feel like you waisted your money coming to some place grimy. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Perhaps they should spend more time concentrating on clean beaches and water.  That is a far worse failure.  Annoying vendors do not give you ear infections or make you feel like you waisted your money coming to some place grimy. 

Just ear ache.

• Haha 1

I watched this ''sting covert operation'' at ''real time'', as the police parked the truck ,sat in said truck,exited truck, leaned on said truck for 30 minutes as the secretly passed vital information on the walky talky...then loaded  up and went for something to eat,all the while the vendors ,busy selling ,not 10 meters away....it was almost like a stare down competition...Amusing Thailand...

Edited by mok199
speliing

On 23/02/2018 at 1:15 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

I am tried of them can't sit on beach they come every minute for try sell something 

Learn to speak politely to say no thank you in the Thai language... You will not be bothered anymore.  BTW.  in Asia what you are referring to is actually being offered a service.  If you don't like it go to Walmart in plastic town... But please get out of Asia and never come back... You do not fit in here or understand the socio cultural values or how to have fun. 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, The manic said:

Long live the vendors. Demolish the Malls. Let the people have some tourist money not just the international multi corporate parasites. 

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

Learn to speak politely to say no thank you in the Thai language... You will not be bothered anymore.  BTW.  in Asia what you are referring to is actually being offered a service.  If you don't like it go to Walmart in plastic town... But please get out of Asia and never come back... You do not fit in here or understand the socio cultural values or how to have fun. 

I kind of agree with your first post.

My problem is that, despite my polite refusal to the first sunglasses salesman, the next sunglasses salesman (who was only a few feet away and saw my refusal) still insists on displaying an identical selection of sunglasses in front of my face. (same goes for, henna tattoos, hair braids, sarongs, etc.) 

After a while it becomes annoying and I usually resort to completely ignoring them, which is what the locals seem to do.

Strangely, when I just fancy an ice cream or piece of fruit, there are usually no vendors to be found. Sod's Law.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

I can speak Thai very well but it seems you not sit on beach and try relax with you wife na 

My wife and other Thais are tried of it too 

You need go out from your beerbar and see the reality 

Not everybody just enjoying your life style

Mai aow khrap 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The manic said:

Learn to speak politely to say no thank you in the Thai language... You will not be bothered anymore.

You might not be bothered by that particular vendor   just by the hundred others that pass by per hour.

I have seriously considered buying one of those recording megaphones     and put it beside our beach mat

constantly repeating  " mee leaw khrup"   " mai ow khrup"

Edited by johng
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, The manic said:

Go to singapore