Mont Clair Red WIne

SkyRider

20 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

You and I are thinking alike KiChaykayan - just this evening, I thought - maybe I should move to South America.  

Or even Portugal!!

Good wines, port and lovely fresh sardines on toast for breakfast!

21 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Or even Portugal!!

Good wines, port and lovely fresh sardines on toast for breakfast!

In the meantime I will stick to half a pint of Castle Creek, Big C Sardines on toast sprinkled with finely chopped onions...

I've just calculated that a pint of Castle Creek is 100 baht exactly - not bad really!!

Edited by Jeremia Juxtaposed

10 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

In the meantime I will stick to half a pint of Castle Creek, Big C Sardines on toast sprinkled with finely chopped onions...

I've just calculated that a pint of Castle Creek is 100 baht exactly - not bad really!!

You serious about the sardines? Which BigC?

I'd like them plain grilled with lemon, but can't get any here. They'd do so well with one of my Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc.

13 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

You serious about the sardines? Which BigC?

I'd like them plain grilled with lemon, but can't get any here. They'd do so well with one of my Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc.

I am refering to tinned sardines and I buy 5 litre box of Castle Creek for 880 baht elsewhere (I bought 2 boxes Tuesday), but in Big C Pattaya Tai among the pilchard tins look closely and you will see  Seaselect (I think) and Big C own brand sardines in tomato sauce, si racha sauce or if you are lucky black pepper sauce ...16 baht a can.......There are also farang style sardines available but more expensive...

Or even Greece!!!

When they default and leave or are thrown out of the Euro I'll consider moving there.   Living will be very cheap for a while with the new  devalued Drachma.    Wonderful food, I've forgotten what lamb tastes like.  Strong coffee, Retsina.   Did you know Melbourne is the second largest Greek populated city after Athens.  It's off topic mods I know but of interest and offends no one.

2 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Or even Greece!!!

When they default and leave or are thrown out of the Euro I'll consider moving there.   Living will be very cheap for a while with the new  devalued Drachma.    Wonderful food, I've forgotten what lamb tastes like.  Strong coffee, Retsina.   Did you know Melbourne is the second largest Greek populated city after Athens.  It's off topic mods I know but of interest and offends no one.

Yep, have fond memories of week in May 1980, spent on Paros, hiking in a landscape covered in daisies, and then having dinners near the harbour. Greek salad, grilled prawns, Retsina followed by some obscenely sweet pastries with Greek (Turkish 5555) coffee.

But mind you, if we moved there, we'd miss the Salak Peth (Koh Chang) seafood with Sauvignon Blanc, consumed under a tropical downpour.

You know guys, sometimes I miss also the barbecues at Tidbinbilla, near Canberra: lamb chops shared with the Emus and flies, and XXXX...

Life is all about food, drink, wives and kids and friends...

Tesco has the 2 litre bottles of Montclair for 750 baht (previously 450 baht), and I refuse to buy at that silly price, so I now buy the 2 litre bottles of Castle Creek for 450 baht, which taste pretty much the same as the MC to me.

7 hours ago, nanglong218 said:

Or even Greece!!!

I'm the one that started the topic, and for whatever it's worth, I'm happy with the discussion of alternative places to live.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, KiChakayan said:

Interestingly while I read the bitter complaints about the new price of fruit wine casks, I hardly notice any increase in the price of proper bottled wines. Someone must be absorbing the tax hike somewhere?

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, xylophone said:

But I will be going to my little store tomorrow and will take note of the names...............then up to you to do some detective work to see if you can find them.

Ok, I have taken some pics (best I could manage with my old Nokia!) of some wines between 370 to 470 baht and have endeavoured to post them below. The labels not always that clear but can be made out ok.

Now for the prices:-

Hopes End (Oz) 440 b; The Lyrup (Oz) 370 b; The Pump (Oz) 399 b; Butterfly Ridge (Oz) , 399 b; Taras (Oz) no pic 499 b;

Reservado (Chile) 390 b; Porta (Ch) 420 b; 3 (Tres) Medals (Ch) 470 b; Chilcas (Ch) 420 b; Viu Manent (Ch) 415 b; Vina Maipo (Ch) no pic (Tesco Lotus) 449b.

FWIW, I find the Aussie wines show more "berry-like" flavours whilst the Chilean wines are a little more "rustic". Also a few of the wines come in different grape varieties like Shiraz, Cab Sauv, Merlot and blends, and even Carmenere.

12042018051.thumb.jpg.03e790af98361f3031d44d1d27598d54.jpg13042018061.thumb.jpg.6fa2d2afbd955ea2ff155d17a6e92c1e.jpg12042018058.thumb.jpg.b70cf77640f285a47a1b0d8c8c053ff1.jpg12042018052.thumb.jpg.a360c5c0fae7f8e22c12111414b61984.jpg12042018053.thumb.jpg.47b6f2f42ec304d092bec19043437688.jpg12042018054.thumb.jpg.f52b692b008a814135ebdaa149be3025.jpg12042018055.thumb.jpg.2a337345007b705d1b5ce2921395a66c.jpg12042018056.thumb.jpg.bba0fc973717ac3ba80a0f0da98b201e.jpg12042018057.thumb.jpg.b0aba3229dc05b5a16e0c4f2a6b41659.jpg 

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Ok, I have taken some pics (best I could manage with my old Nokia!) of some wines between 370 to 470 baht and have endeavoured to post them below. The labels not always that clear but can be made out ok.

Now for the prices:-

Hopes End (Oz) 440 b; The Lyrup (Oz) 370 b; The Pump (Oz) 399 b; Butterfly Ridge (Oz) , 399 b; Taras (Oz) no pic 499 b;

Reservado (Chile) 390 b; Porta (Ch) 420 b; 3 (Tres) Medals (Ch) 470 b; Chilcas (Ch) 420 b; Viu Manent (Ch) 415 b; Vina Maipo (Ch) no pic (Tesco Lotus) 449b.

FWIW, I find the Aussie wines show more "berry-like" flavours whilst the Chilean wines are a little more "rustic". Also a few of the wines come in different grape varieties like Shiraz, Cab Sauv, Merlot and blends, and even Carmenere.

12042018051.thumb.jpg.03e790af98361f3031d44d1d27598d54.jpg13042018061.thumb.jpg.6fa2d2afbd955ea2ff155d17a6e92c1e.jpg12042018058.thumb.jpg.b70cf77640f285a47a1b0d8c8c053ff1.jpg12042018052.thumb.jpg.a360c5c0fae7f8e22c12111414b61984.jpg12042018053.thumb.jpg.47b6f2f42ec304d092bec19043437688.jpg12042018054.thumb.jpg.f52b692b008a814135ebdaa149be3025.jpg12042018055.thumb.jpg.2a337345007b705d1b5ce2921395a66c.jpg12042018056.thumb.jpg.bba0fc973717ac3ba80a0f0da98b201e.jpg12042018057.thumb.jpg.b0aba3229dc05b5a16e0c4f2a6b41659.jpg 

Thank you again xylophone - you are the best!  I saw the Pump today, but I think it was from Chile.  There's a reason I didn't buy a lot of Chilean wine when I was in the States, and I learned the reason why from you - the word from you, it's too "rustic".  

I saw Vina Maipo, and almost bought it just to try it - but then I noticed, some of the words on the back of the bottle were crossed out, by which looked like black magic marker. And each cross out was different, as though it was done by hand.  So I didn't buy it.  I took pics of the front and back of the bottle - I'll try to post them 

8 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Thank you again xylophone - you are the best!  I saw the Pump today, but I think it was from Chile.  There's a reason I didn't buy a lot of Chilean wine when I was in the States, and I learned the reason why from you - the word from you, it's too "rustic".  

I saw Vina Maipo, and almost bought it just to try it - but then I noticed, some of the words on the back of the bottle were crossed out, by which looked like black magic marker. And each cross out was different, as though it was done by hand.  So I didn't buy it.  I took pics of the front and back of the bottle - I'll try to post them 

49852.jpg

49855.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

The Pump is from Oz but saw it today at Big C for 529 baht. That's a huge difference from the small wine shop at 399 baht!!

I think the marker refers to fruit/taste but not added fruit juice.....maybe didn't want to confuse buyers?

Just had half a bottle of Vina Maipo and my memory was correct........rustic!! So stick to the Aussie wines I noted  and perhaps the occasional Chilean on the list to see how they go? If you have half a bottle left, then coq au vin or boeuf bourguignon could be on the menu...........but use it within 24 hrs if kept in the fridge!

Bad wine does not make a good dish!

49852.thumb.jpg.9a599b5def772342fac73b9b5547bc86.jpg
49855.jpg.49ece52915f38d42fea16401fde1b3c4.jpg

If you do try to sell wine with a label like that, you’ll end up in prison in my country.

Mineral water, wine and beer had some seriously harsh government laws to protect the quality and standard, until the EU did soften up those laws in favor for the food industry.
However the law for wine quality and some other regional food products are still very strict till today and that is very good.
No egg powder in our wine!

https://www.falstaff.at/nd/die-oesterreich-top-10-weine-des-falstaff-rankings/

Given that the subject is regarding cheap "wine" ..Where do you buy your wine and for how much?

That’s the problem when living in Thailand.
I probably had less then 10 bottles of good wine over a decade.
Some where gifts from friends and family who visited.
But I certainly do not buy at Makro anymore.
Sometime less is more!

2 minutes ago, siamcrut said:

That’s the problem when living in Thailand.
I probably had less then 10 bottles of good wine over a decade.
Some where gifts from friends and family who visited.
But I certainly do not buy at Makro anymore.
Sometime less is more!

I've had some excellent Barolo Reserve here in Pattaya but stocks of it have gone so I understand your point about good wine but to post that you wouldn't use a quaffing wine for cooking is like an Austrian saying he wouldn't use his wine for cooking because he couldn't freeze the food.....Glass houses and all that...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, siamcrut said:

No egg powder in our wine!

Maybe not,  however some sort of fining ingredient will be used so it could be one of these....

Some of the most commonly-used and permitted fining agents for wine are:
  • Gelatine.
  • Isinglass 
  • Casein. 
  • Skim milk.
  • Bentonite.
  • Carbon.
  • Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone (PVPP

PS. Many countries stipulate that if animal products are used in fining the wine, then that must be declared on the label, however the same disclosure requirement does not apply to industrial fining agents. The consequence is that egg-whites are being replaced by industrially produced albumin which represents the key fining agent in egg-whites.

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

The Pump is from Oz but saw it today at Big C for 529 baht. That's a huge difference from the small wine shop at 399 baht!!

I think the marker refers to fruit/taste but not added fruit juice.....maybe didn't want to confuse buyers?

Just had half a bottle of Vina Maipo and my memory was correct........rustic!! So stick to the Aussie wines I noted  and perhaps the occasional Chilean on the list to see how they go? If you have half a bottle left, then coq au vin or boeuf bourguignon could be on the menu...........but use it within 24 hrs if kept in the fridge!

Bad wine does not make a good dish!

Vino marking out words words is what confused me, it's like tampering. To say fruit taste would have been ok for me to try - but crossing words out, made me not even try it.

Yes, have to drink a bottle after 24 hours of opening - any bottle that I've tried after 2 days of opening, has gone bad.  But I used some of that bad wine for cooking sauce for pasta, and it tasted pretty good.  

12 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Given that the subject is regarding cheap "wine" ..Where do you buy your wine and for how much?

That is why I started this thread - in order to save money, I was drinking the cheap Mont Clair, bought in boxes, from Tesco   

But first it disappeared from the shelves, and then it came back, not cheap anymore.  It now costs just as much or even more then some much better bottles of wine. 

So now, I'm "forced" to buy better bottles , and I'm trying to not go over 499 baht per bottle.  My costs for wine has now skyrocketed, but so has the quality of my wine - so I'll try to live with the huge increase in cost. I'm buying the bottles at Foodland, Villa, Big C, and Tesco.  (Tops doesn't have anything good at the 499 price.)

Any recommendations of other stores to buy wine at, would be appreciated.  

13 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

I'm buying the bottles at Foodland, Villa, Big C, and Tesco.

Then you HAVE to try the Hopes End which is available at Villa Market (here at least) as IMO it is the pick of the bunch

14 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Do a drive around and Net search, which have worked for me. The small store here, Prophan, has proven a "godsend" to me and a couple of friends.

38 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Then you HAVE to try the Hopes End which is available at Villa Market (here at least) as IMO it is the pick of the bunch

Do a drive around and Net search, which have worked for me. The small store here, Prophan, has proven a "godsend" to me and a couple of friends.

I can't find Prophan on the net.  Where is Prophan located?  

1 hour ago, SkyRider said:

That is why I started this thread - in order to save money, I was drinking the cheap Mont Clair, bought in boxes, from Tesco   

But first it disappeared from the shelves, and then it came back, not cheap anymore.  It now costs just as much or even more then some much better bottles of wine. 

So now, I'm "forced" to buy better bottles , and I'm trying to not go over 499 baht per bottle.  My costs for wine has now skyrocketed, but so has the quality of my wine - so I'll try to live with the huge increase in cost. I'm buying the bottles at Foodland, Villa, Big C, and Tesco.  (Tops doesn't have anything good at the 499 price.)

I've been buying the 2 litre Castle Creek for 450 bht since they increased the  price of Montclair by 40%. At least as good as the Montclair IMO.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I've been buying the 2 litre Castle Creek for 450 bht since they increased the  price of Montclair by 40%. At least as good as the Montclair IMO.

At the time that the Mont Clair boxes disappeared, I also didn't Castle Creek. If I had seen the 2 liter Castle Creek before I bought the higher price bottles, I probably would have gone that route.  I had actually gotten use to the cheaper wine.  But since I've had much better tasting bottles, and I tried a little bit of Mont Clair that I had left, it tasted horrible, comparatively.  I feel like I can't go back to the cheaper wines now, the higher priced bottles just taste so much better.