Large Chang 99 baht, ice 40 baht!

paulsingle

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Yes 40 baht is a lot of money, maybe he should stay home and not spend anything.

I personally would not frequent a place again if I was charged 40bht for ice, and am sure most Thai folk wouldn't...:stoner:

On 2/27/2018 at 9:36 AM, paulsingle said:

I've calmed down now and got it into perspective. 

40 baht for ice for 1 beer is a bit heavy. Next time I'll have a couple more beers and make more use of the bucket of ice.

is that what Thais pay too? Sounds a bit "overpriced" to me.

Solution is around 100 baht

Cooler.jpg

On 04/03/2018 at 9:16 PM, Rc2702 said:

Just out of curiosity where is this expensive ice and are you sure it was not the other type of ice commonly known as yaba!

I think the other kind of ice may be cheaper ?

I don't remember the name of the place but it's a fairly well presented bar restaurant along the lakeside with a "Chang" sign out front. (Yes, I know, that's far from unique but it's the best I can do)

It has a garden type area out front and the 'inside' section is up some steps and open at the front overlooking the garden section. There was some rather uninspiring live music and the place was fairly quiet.

As I say, I've calmed down now.

Everywhere else I've had food and drink has provided free ice  :)

Just so I can stay on topic .... yes, 40 baht is too much for ice.

Eating out recently with my wife in a Buriram cafe, I ordered a large Leo. My wife asked the waitress "Is the Leo cold ? My farang like cold bottle beer."

"Yes, Leo cold" was the reply.

She returned 5 minutes later with the inevitable trolley with ice bucket, Leo and bottled water.

Before I realised, waitress has popped the top off the Leo and poured it into a glass full of ice.

Now, I really like to drink ice cold beer from a bottle, not watered down with ice, and to further annoy me, the Leo bottle was warm as piss. Had never been in a fridge.

"No .... kop khun khup ... not want Leo like this. Can take back."

My wife was horrified. "Cannot do that. She open already. "

"Yes .... can do, Not what I ask for" I insisted.

I finished up having a Coke. They put the Leo on the bill, but I didn't pay it.

Wife didn't speak to me for 2 days .... which was ok. Played 36 holes of golf instead.

33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I've never even thought to scrutinize a bill to such a degree.

You really should. My missus checks every restaurant bill, as many are written in Thai only anyway.

About 1 in every 3 is wrong. Never in my favour though !!  5555

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, poohy said:

Yes !

10 THB probably ok

40 will buy a whole kilo bag

Anyway beer should be served ice cold ...oh i forgot its Thailand 

I find this a rather strange comment. I've never had cause to complain about the temperature of beer served up here.

I'd be the first to make a complaint about it because I do not like ice in my beer. This bland 'international tasting lager'  that gets served up here needs all the help I can give it.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:26 AM, sanemax said:

I do think that is unfair .

Its not as every Country always  serves cold beer and Thailand always only  serves warm beer 

Some places give it free, some charge 10, 20, 30 or 40 baht. Some regard it as an overhead same as the water or electric, some class it as stock to be sold and marked up on.

It is just down to the attitude of the individual establishment/proprietor.

Went in  a thai  bar in  KK asked the price of large chang and was told 99 baht..   The girl  comes back with the beer and some ice.  I give her 100 baht and back  comes the first woman to tell me the beer is  99 the ice is  39, so I say I do not need that much ice and  she says ok and  takes it away..  On  another night go into another place up the road when  nearly all the other bars were shut..  Beer there was 120 baht and if I wanted a girl to sit with me her drinks would be 200 baht and it would be 2 drinks a hour!  I was surprised that Thai guys would pay that much for a girl to sit with them!

Just now, dogpatch55 said:

Went in  a thai  bar in  KK asked the price of large chang and was told 99 baht..   The girl  comes back with the beer and some ice.  I give her 100 baht and back  comes the first woman to tell me the beer is  99 the ice is  39, so I say I do not need that much ice and  she says ok and  takes it away..  On  another night go into another place up the road when  nearly all the other bars were shut..  Beer there was 120 baht and if I wanted a girl to sit with me her drinks would be 200 baht and it would be 2 drinks a hour!  I was surprised that Thai guys would pay that much for a girl to sit with them!

How much to talk to her?

Archived