Large Chang 99 baht, ice 40 baht!

paulsingle

At a bar/restaurant along the lake side in Khon Kaen my wife and I shared a yam woen sen, she had a bottle of water and I had a large Chang. I have no quibble with the price of the food or drinks but I didn't order an ice bucket. This was all we had and we were charged 40 baht for ice.

Am I unreasonable in thinking this is extortionate? 

Customers are charged for ice regularly at resorts & restaurants all over Thailand, nothing is free.  I think I use to pay about 30 baht a bucket, so your 40 baht is slightly more but no big deal .... it's like $1.10 ....   try buying a bucket of ice for $1 in Australia or US ...   lol ... no chance in hell !!

Your first time in Thailand? :P

If the place has a small rack next to the tables to store the drinks you can expect to get a bucket of ice (some other places without these racks also might give you an ice bucket), and this bucket is not free, quite common all over Thailand.

I saw prices from 10 to 35THB for the ice, while i think the most common price is 25THB

But you can of course tell them that you don't want the bucket and want just ice in your glass, that's usually free then ;)

12 hours ago, poohy said:

Yes !

10 THB probably ok

40 will buy a whole kilo bag

Anyway beer should be served ice cold ...oh i forgot its Thailand 

I do think that is unfair .

Its not as every Country always  serves cold beer and Thailand always only  serves warm beer 

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Your first time in Thailand? :P

If the place has a small rack next to the tables to store the drinks you can expect to get a bucket of ice (some other places without these racks also might give you an ice bucket), and this bucket is not free, quite common all over Thailand.

I saw prices from 10 to 35THB for the ice, while i think the most common price is 25THB

But you can of course tell them that you don't want the bucket and want just ice in your glass, that's usually free then ;)

Thanks Jackdd.

As you say, normally a little less than 40 baht.

I lived in Phuket for 8 months but mainly drank at bars where the bottle is served with a condom and sometimes ice in the glass.

I'm in Khon Kaen for the next 4 months so will get used to the way things are done here soon. I won't be paying 40 baht for ice with every beer I drink :)

You would think that I would know better after coming to Thailand every year for the past 18 years :)

10 hours ago, paulsingle said:

I've calmed down now and got it into perspective. 

40 baht for ice for 1 beer is a bit heavy. Next time I'll have a couple more beers and make more use of the bucket of ice.

At this end of Isaan you often get a nice Isaan girl to sit down and deliver the ice personally and frequently at the kind of places that charge 40 baht for a bucket. Maybe you would have got that in an unaccompanied status!

Your 40bht for ice probably paid for the beer they buy in in bulk, so a nice 99bht profit...:sad:

Where I am the cost is usually 10bht a bucket. My chum and I sit at a place where ice bucket is free and large Change is 57bht, but it is not a restaurant...:stoner:

31 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

I was in Spain one time, and a restaurant charged me for ice.... <deleted>?
Ice is free in the US... only in other parts of the world, where dume-asses are willing to pay for it.... is there a charge.

The restaurants in Thailand have to pay for the ice , why should they buy it and give it away for free ?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The restaurants in Thailand have to pay for the ice , why should they buy it and give it away for free ?

I can buy a sack of ice for 25bht at my local ice shop...:stoner:

So a bucket of ice in a bar would cost a few baht..Even at 10bht a bucket they are making a small profit. The OP's 40bht for ice place are not doing their business any favours..

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

And in the US the restaurants get the ice for free? :P

It all just depends on what the people are used to and are willing to pay.

In Thailand:

If you go to eat at any of the "restaurants" where you get your food for 30-40THB the water and ice is usually free, but of course the shop has to pay for it.

At the places that are a bit fancier and are more for "hangout" than just eating, you get a bucket and they charge you for it (Such a bucket with ice costs the shop less than 1THB, so of course it's a nice profit. I usually don't tip anyway, but at such a place i would consider the profit they make with the ice as tip)

On 2/27/2018 at 9:21 PM, jackdd said:

And in the US the restaurants get the ice for free? :P

It all just depends on what the people are used to and are willing to pay.

In Thailand:

If you go to eat at any of the "restaurants" where you get your food for 30-40THB the water and ice is usually free, but of course the shop has to pay for it.

At the places that are a bit fancier and are more for "hangout" than just eating, you get a bucket and they charge you for it (Such a bucket with ice costs the shop less than 1THB, so of course it's a nice profit. I usually don't tip anyway, but at such a place i would consider the profit they make with the ice as tip)

Most restaurants, fast food, convenience stores etc in the US, have their own ice-making machines. Some smaller retailers buy their ice in bags from an outside vendor for resale. They may use this stock in their ice dispensers. But, I do not recall ever being charged for ice with a purchase, anywhere.  Ice is free in the food court at Big C Surin. But they charge you for the cup, if you don't have one.

6 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Most restaurants, fast food, convenience stores etc in the US, have their own ice-making machines.

These ice making machines also cost something, they are not free ;)

7/11 also has ice making machines, you can buy ice from these machines, it's not free

Of course at some places the ice is free for the customers, but this just means that the shop is paying for it

6 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Ice is free in the food court at Big C Surin. But they charge you for the cup, if you don't have one.

You take a cup with you when you go to eat at the food court in Big C?

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

7/11 also has ice making machines, you can buy ice from these machines, it's not free

There is a "Cheap Charlie" thread you maybe interested in....:laugh:

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Of course at some places the ice is free for the customers, but this just means that the shop is paying for it

Most equipment in a restaurant, convenience store, etc costs money. It's a part of doing business and the purchase price is depreciated on their taxes. The only expenses over time are water, electric, maintenance so they can make their own ice instead of buying from an outside source and still have to provide some way to keep it from melting. Every time you buy a product or pay for a service the business operating costs are included in the price you pay. You shouldn't have to pay extra for ice.  Also, there is a big difference in paying for ice from an ice vending machine and getting a beverage that should be served cold and having to pay extra for ice to enjoy drinking it. 

No, I do not take a cup with me. I usually drink bottled water and on one occasion the bottle did not feel cold and I asked for a cup of ice.  They told me the ice would be free, but I would have to pay for the cup so I got a soda in a cup with ice instead. 

40 Baht for some ice is a bit rich. I buy pizzas to take away from a little restaurant near us and pop over the shop and treat myself to a little Leo ice cold for 39 baht which I sip whilst waiting for my grub to take home. My Mrs always wonders why I insist we dot not go to collect the pizzas together.

On 2/26/2018 at 10:53 PM, DILLIGAD said:

I pay 70b for same in a very nice bar in Isaan with quality live music & 10b for ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes 80 Baht in Total. And I know that Farangs like to complain about 80 Baht for a beer but never mention that they get ice for free.

7 hours ago, fishbone said:

That makes 80 Baht in Total. And I know that Farangs like to complain about 80 Baht for a beer but never mention that they get ice for free.

Here in my local in "sin city" a large Chang is 70 baht and the "ice bucket" is free....:thumbsup:

heavily patronized by farang,s both cheap charlies and ex SAS millionaires.....:cheesy:

Exactly, someone has to pay for the added pleasure of not just listening to motorcy’s, in preference to quality live music. That’s fair.

The first bucket is free in most places. My apologies as I failed to mention that.

On 2/27/2018 at 8:06 AM, steven100 said:

try buying a bucket of ice for $1 in Australia or US ...   lol ... no chance in hell !!

But the op was in Thailand where a large bag of ice maybe 10kgs is 25 baht of in some shops 35 baht, even the cheap noodle shops give free ice and water with a 35 baht bowl of noodles. 40 baht is a rip off.

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

But the op was in Thailand where a large bag of ice maybe 10kgs is 25 baht of in some shops 35 baht, even the cheap noodle shops give free ice and water with a 35 baht bowl of noodles. 40 baht is a rip off.

No idea where you live but now , when you get it cheap, a bag of ice it a least 30 Baht if you live outside a town same me you pay 40 - 45 Baht. Some places no delivery and you drive 15 km for a few pack of ice. I agree 40 baht is a rip off I pay the same in a disco.

5 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Exactly, someone has to pay for the added pleasure of not just listening to motorcy’s, in preference to quality live music. That’s fair.

The first bucket is free in most places. My apologies as I failed to mention that.

I don't get it , what the motorcy's have to do with pay for ice ?

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 12:59 PM, transam said:

I can buy a sack of ice for 25bht at my local ice shop...:stoner:

So a bucket of ice in a bar would cost a few baht..Even at 10bht a bucket they are making a small profit. The OP's 40bht for ice place are not doing their business any favours..

Yes 40 baht is a lot of money, maybe he should stay home and not spend anything.

Archived