Police launch major crackdown on foreigners on Soi Cowboy - scores of English teachers and visa overstayers arrested

webfact

43 minutes ago, diehard60 said:

unless you deport these people you never will clean it up  

Virtually Every major city in the world has a problem with "illegals" its getting worse! Those in real authority that could do something about the situation sit back and laugh, they will do nothing! They like the chaos it causes! Keeps the wage slaves occupied! :shock1:

Minor busts like this do nothing!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, buick said:

there are about a dozen indians working soi cowboy as loan sharks.  not too long ago, there was a report of indian loan sharks being arrested at an apartment block.  i went to soi cowboy not long after that and noticed that the indian regular 'sharks' were gone and replaced by others.  i live near cowboy and visit alot during the happy hour period.  you see them pull out their little books and talk with many of the bar personnel.  and then you see small amounts of cash passed from the personnel to the loan shark.  they leave by 8pm.  they were not there at all a few years ago (maybe a few watch sellers but never saw them pull out a book and take money).  there is a thai lady that has worked the soi for at least 10 yrs and she sells 'goods' on credit to the workers on the soi. so she provides a loan but not loans of cash.  maybe the soi workers just got 'debt relief'.

The Indian watch sellers you see hanging about mostly out the front of Moonshine Joint are the loan sharks, and are charging 20% interest. One of them is a really annoying <deleted>..wont go away....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

So they no longer operate out of the many "tailor" shops??

i have a feeling they launder the 'shark' money via some of the tailor shops.  'i didn't get this 6,000thb from cowboy last night, i sold a a couple pant/shirt sets at XXXX shop'

the 'foreman' of the group dresses quite nice.  he uses the lower level of the jasmine city complex as his office.  it has some chairs and tables and nice A/C.  i cool off in there for a few minutes when i'm walking around the area.  but he was gone after the raid on the apartment block.  maybe his permit to stay expired and he went home.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tilaceer said:

The Indian watch sellers you see hanging about mostly out the front of Moonshine Joint are the loan sharks, and are charging 20% interest. One of them is a really annoying <deleted>..wont go away....

i've always wondered about the watch sellers, they definitely mingle with the sharks.  i don't see them with the little books and i don't see them collect money.  but they've been there for years, before the obvious sharks came around.  i don't see them sell any watches and when they approach me, i ask 'how many do you sell each day, do you make good money' ?.  they don't approach me anymore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

All 78 people arrested were dark in color, they said, as they printed pictures of deputy tourist police commissioner Surachet Hakpal in Bangkok's red light district of Soi Cowboy in the Asoke area at 1am this morning.

So from 1am - 9am they have managed to arrest, check all visa info, charge, and begin drug testing and DNA testing 78 people?

I don't believe that for a second. 

Checking visas, piss testing and arresting doesn't take any time at all, why would it not be possible?  No one was DNA tested.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

All 78 people arrested were dark in color, they said, as they printed pictures of deputy tourist police commissioner Surachet Hakpal in Bangkok's red light district of Soi Cowboy in the Asoke area at 1am this morning.

So from 1am - 9am they have managed to arrest, check all visa info, charge, and begin drug testing and DNA testing 78 people?

I don't believe that for a second. 

How, in eight hours? 

"A total of 110 places were raided by tourist police, 191 special branch, drug suppression units and immigration."

191 Special Branch alone it would seem. Plenty of manpower for 78 arrests, I would think.

32 minutes ago, buick said:

i've always wondered about the watch sellers, they definitely mingle with the sharks.  i don't see them with the little books and i don't see them collect money.  but they've been there for years, before the obvious sharks came around.  i don't see them sell any watches and when they approach me, i ask 'how many do you sell each day, do you make good money' ?.  they don't approach me anymore.

I just ask to see their work permit :smile:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

191 Special Branch alone it would seem. Plenty of manpower for 78 arrests, I would think.

191 is the phone number for Special Branch and is thus their 'handle' as in "Call 191!"

It's nothing to do with having 191 officers on the raid.

Thai Rath reported that there was a nationwide crackdown on dark skinned criminals in Thailand yesterday.

My brown wife, daughter of a darkish rice farmer fears to be arrested when visiting "her brother" in Bangkok. Should she be concerned? 

My American friend who came to Thailand to "make a lot of brown babies" might have to rethink his plans. 

5 hours ago, HooHaa said:

I personally witnessed them test an entire nightclub under purachai between the hours of 12 - 3 am. Must have been a couple hundred people.

I was also lucky enough to be present when they raided a private house party and. Shipped about 50 people off to lumpini in the back of pick up trucks for testing. That took 3 or 4 hours to complete.

Once the arrest is made, there is plenty of time to process people.

Re dna sampling, how long does it take to take a mouth swab? 

..if the raid was after sun-up think how many more they would have bagged.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I did two master's degrees and taught at universities and companies from Japan to Dubai to Equatorial Guinea for 30 years. No wonder among my colleagues "backpacker" teachers are so disparaged. What losers, some of them. Others are just naive, starry-eyed little undergraduates who think they can earn their way around the world imparting their world language. And they spend their time in Soi Cowboy?? Anyway it's too late to start a career in EFL with any kind of gainful employment no matter what your qualifications--unless you think $2000 a month in China is a great deal. Probably good for 25-year-olds who want Chinese gfs. Can't blame them there. I married a Chinese (from KL).

• Confused 1