Prawit orders agencies to cooperate to reduce Songkran death toll

webfact

'Prawit ... said the authorities would also launch awareness campaigns about drunk driving, use of safety belts and wearing helmets.'

Awareness campaigns? If they're not aware of the legal requirements by now, they never will be. Perhaps Prawit should be ordering the RTP to enforce the law - but, hey, that could prove an embarrassment.

'The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said the death toll was down 11.76 per cent from 2016.'

They must be counting natural causes. They are obviously better at mitigation than prevention - especially when it comes to responsibility.

• Like 1

Whatever they come up with it MUST be fully enforced.

Those caught speeding, drunk, drugged up etc must be severely punished. None of these nonsensical 2/300baht fines. or having to spend time in an accident hospital.   Minimum 3 months in prison + confiscation of the vehicle. Let them be warned in advance and every day on prime time TV No excuses and no favouritism shown to VIPs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

He could always go back to the old pick-up truck ban. But that would mean the government using common sense. 

Fink they already forgot about that....But wait, the BiB forgot about that...

I remember when I first moved here and girls would call me handsome. Boy, did I love that. I rarely heard anyone say that to me back home. Now, I literally feel nothing if I hear it. Why? Because it doesn’t mean anything. 

And as the PM tells whomever is listening that agencies must work together to reduce the death tolls, they’ll also feel nothing. In one ear........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Whatever they come up with it MUST be fully enforced.

Those caught speeding, drunk, drugged up etc must be severely punished. None of these nonsensical 2/300baht fines. or having to spend time in an accident hospital.   Minimum 3 months in prison + confiscation of the vehicle. Let them be warned in advance and every day on prime time TV No excuses and no favouritism shown to VIPs

The VIP bit is an utter pipe dream but otherwise what you say is the sensible and obvious course of action. Wont happen though because it means tackling the corruption that allows laws to be flouted almost with impunity.

I have said it a thousand times but nothing can progress under an administration that treasures and fights to maintain the status quo.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dave moir said:

The only way to minimise is to educate Thais how to drive!!! Only then might you see a reduction in accident figures ?

NO, the BiB should be out there taking their dosh.....In LOS the only way to "educate" is to take their dosh...In any country that is how it is done, plus more......

• Like 1

Only one thing will reduce the Songkran carnage, get it off the roads. Have Songkran festivities held in provincial parks, fitness parks, temple grounds, designated streets that are closed to traffic. But no more drunken hooligans driving around in pickups, no more throwing buckets of water at passing motorcycles.

Edited by TSF
  • Like 1

There is only one way to reduce the death toll on Thai roads during Songkran that will work.

That is to abolish Songkran altogether, and keep the people from having a holiday, thus keeping them working at their jobs instead of getting rat a#*ed and driving.

• Like 2

"Prawit told the agencies to learn from past statistics to identify accident causes....."

Same as any day, drunk driving and speeding!

Memory retention isn't a strong point, it seems.

Now we're going to get episode 124 of a long-running series!

• Like 2