Theresa May urges Britain to 'come back together'

webfact

Theresa May urges Britain to 'come back together'

PM’s speech puts stress on ‘tolerant democracy’ in overture to EU remainers while also attempting to calm Tory rebels

Heather Stewart and Anne Perkins

The Guardian

Theresa May will urge the warring Brexit tribes to put their differences behind them on Friday as she promises to deliver a deal with Brussels that will keep Britain an “open, outward-looking, tolerant, European democracy”.

In a carefully calibrated speech, its platform hastily relocated from Newcastle to London’s Mansion House because of the severe weather, the prime minister will make a deliberate overture to anxious remain voters.

“We must bring our country back together, taking into account the views of everyone who cares about this issue, from both sides of the debate”, she will say, addressing her own divided party, as well as the public. She will insist that the EU referendum result in 2016 was “not a vote for a distant relationship with our neighbours”.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/01/may-overture-to-eu-remainers-puts-stress-on-tolerant-democracy

-- The Guardian 2018-03-02

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, webfact said:

She will insist that the EU referendum result in 2016 was “not a vote for a distant relationship with our neighbours”.

Can one blame the people of EU for thinking it was exactly that?

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

overbearing bureaucrats

This and similar expressions I heard in the last weeks and months even as one reason to leave EU. 

What a nonsense!!! 

Those bureaucrats are sent by your government, meaning T. May. 

The reason to send them to Brussels is to negotiate in currant law making process. And so to have a vote and to take part in a decision what is good for UK and what is not. The whole process is called democracy. 

If some now complaining about those bureaucrats then you don't understand how democracy works. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

The single biggest driver for Brexit was immigration from the EU, so apparently the people of the EU are the problem.

Where did you find that vital statistic?

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

This and similar expressions I heard in the last weeks and months even as one reason to leave EU. 

What a nonsense!!! 

Those bureaucrats are sent by your government, meaning T. May. 

The reason to send them to Brussels is to negotiate in currant law making process. And so to have a vote and to take part in a decision what is good for UK and what is not. The whole process is called democracy. 

If some now complaining about those bureaucrats then you don't understand how democracy works. 

The biggest laugh is one of those EU bureaucrats is Nigel Farage who has been drawing a fat salary from the EU trough for the last 20 years. 

Just goes to show how easily the wool can be pulled over the eyes of a Brexiteer.

Edited by Air Smiles
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

The single biggest driver for Brexit was immigration from the EU, so apparently the people of the EU are the problem.

And there’s me thinking the most important issue, was our desire to regain our sovereignty.

6C053BB9-40F0-4C2E-8567-A5554430AC2E.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nontabury said:

How was he supposed to represent his electorate and the British people,

always trying and finally succeeding to make Himself redundant.

Love  the use of the capital “H”........ ?

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

The biggest laugh is one of those EU bureaucrats is Nigel Farage who has been drawing a fat salary from the EU trough for the last 20 years. 

Just goes to show how easily the wool can be pulled over the eyes of a Brexiteer.

Even dimmer than your last effort. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, petermik said:

Unelected bureaucrats on salaries (more than 15,000) in excess of what we pay our PM telling us the British people what we should do and what we cannot do was the reason the majority of the public decided enough was enough,there are convicted murderers/rapists/torturers from overseas in prison in the UK that the EU will not allow us to send back to their own countries as it infringes"human rights" the amount of immigrants we were told to accept was a minor issue,I could go on and on.....we want out of the dictatorship that is the EU.........:thumbsup:

I'm sorry but you don't understand democracy but cherry picking only 

8 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Yes,  we and 27 other countries together deciding what is good for the UK and no doubt they have as much interest in what is good for the UK as we do ourselves?   It may surprise you to know that we prefer to make those decisions for ourselves and that Brexit is not all about money.

No it's not all about money but also about a strong community to tackle future problems in migrations, economy and humanity. By the way many of our present problems were caused by exploitation of former colonies. 

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Can you tell us how many bureaucrats are sent from the UK and how many from the other 27 nations? Even if all the Euro MPs from the UK vote against a proposition we will be outvoted and ignored.

Imagine trying to get a vote passed by all the people of 28 countries, so they use Euro MP's instaed and if the majority vote in favour that is democracy.

However only a few of the 28 countries at present are net contributors and it their money that the EU is spending/giving away.

You described it very well how a community and democracy works. And also you described how selfish and cherry picking UK acts. You have to learn that you will have to pay into a community to make it strong but not to complain that you're money is lost. You will feel what you lost when it's no longer available. However everybody can make mistakes. So my hope is that this island in it's splendid isolation will learn it's lesson and will stay or join again 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Exactly!  For many (though obviously not all) they saw Farage's  poster of lines of migrants who were fleeing war and persecution and believed the hype that leaving the EU would stop them coming here.  A total and complete lie but people bought into it.

Brexit was about many things but immigration was quite high on the list.  If you take out those voters that voted leave purely based on immigration then the remain party would have won. 

So now you explain to those people that asylum seekers and illegal immigrants will continue to arrive just as they have been doing, just as immigrants from other countries outside the EU, like Africa, Pakistan, India, Thailand and China will continue to come.  Maybe then the light switch will click on they will see the reality.  I doubt it though, denial is easier than facing the truth.

If you cherry, pick you could equally say that if 60% of the non voters voted to leave then the remainers would still be whining about losing.

There was a referendum which was well notified.

The result could be looked at in 3 cataegories

1   Of those who voted, more voted to leave than remain.

2   Of those who voted, less voted to remain than leave.

3   Of those who didn't vote at all I say tough. You had the freedom to vote and you didn't. Your NON votes don't count.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

No it's not all about money but also about a strong community to tackle future problems in migrations, economy and humanity. By the way many of our present problems were caused by exploitation of former colonies. 

Would some of those colonies be Italian, German, French, Dutch or do you believe that only the British had colonies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Would some of those colonies be Italian, German, French, Dutch or do you believe that only the British had colonies.

Si tacuisses....You should know better, that the mentioned countries lost their colonies after WWI or II. But UK were swiped out of their biggest colonies as Kenya or India. This happened I admit hardly to France and only in a certain extend to Netherlands. But it is a fact that UK exploited and mistreated their colonies and even today the Aborigines have to suffer from the injustice UK were treating them in the past.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Yet that is what the EU had been doing for decades, not only to the UK but to the other countries within the EU as well.

look, what you describe as non appropriate I call a system of democracy.

28 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

look, what you describe as non appropriate I call a system of democracy.

What you call democracy, I do not.

How is it democratic for countries to demand that laws be enacted in other sovereign countries, whether that country likes it or not.

That is not democracy but dictatorship under another name.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Nothing about the Belgian Congo, or Libya for Italy or Indochina for the French. Indonesia for the Dutch, Angola for the Portuguese They all lost their colonies as well and it is the same fact that those countries treated their colonies the same or even worse.

I do understand that you are from an EU country and dislike the British a lot but please try not to be biased in your postings.

YOU did not mention Portugal before. But I can add Spain as well. What I'm trying to say is that you have to understand that many people of those former colonies are on the move to Europe because you - as colonists - left them poor, exploited and uneducated. Unfortunately. To solve this imminent problem WE as EU, have to offer them chances to stay in their countries. And this means to support them to develop infrastructure and education e.g. A channel will not stop them. The wave will come to your shores as well.