Swedish tourist seeks Pattaya police help over Bt100,000 gone from bank account

webfact

Swedish tourist seeks police help over Bt100,000 gone from bank account

By The Nation

swe.jpg

A Swedish tourist filed a complaint with a Pattaya police station on Friday, after someone stole Bt99,900 from his bank account, leaving just Bt1.38 left.

Henrik Christian Koch, 49, filed the complaint at 10am, after someone used the phone number 098-9301045 to create an Internet banking account and tied it to his account with the Bangkok Bank’s Central Festival Pattaya Beach branch.

Koch said the thief used the Internet banking account to transfer money from his account twice on March 12, 2017 for Bt90,000 and Bt9,900.

Koch said he opened the bank account on December 29, 2016 with a first deposit of Bt500 and gradually deposited money before he returned to his homeland to work for a year.

He recently returned to Thailand and in a visit to Pattaya found the money had been moved out when he checked the account.

He said the bank checked, and finding the money had been removed through Internet banking, requested that Koch file a police complaint.

To open an Internet banking account usually requires knowledge of the account owner’s ID card or passport number plus the PIN of the account’s ATM card.

Koch said the bank did not say how it would compensate him.

Pol Captain Thanin Kanphai, an officer of Pattaya police station, said police will search for the owner of the phone number.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30340018

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-02
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Huh ? Money taken out in March 2017 (a year ago) and he only noticed when he came here ? Call my cynical but, I tend to check my money accounts more than once a year. 

Check for what? Most certainly is not for the acquired interest...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

The dangers of Internet banking.  In Thailand I always go to the bank when I want money,  Doesn't take long and is safe, never use an ATM.  Too many people are hooked on technology and use their phone for financial dealings and put their details on their phone.  Fine till you lose it !

Even if you go there in person and not use any technology like phone, your money can be stolen from your bank account Probably inside jobs, it happened to several persons. Very difficult to convince a bank like Bangkok Bank, that they should pay back the damage. They resist, it can take a year and a lawyer, but eventually they will pay back everything and pay for the lawyer as well.

• Like 1

Most probably a smart move by this guy.

He probably knows that the girlfriend took it but is smart enough not to confront her personally so he gets the cops to do the deed for him.  Smart move.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Assuming the money was actually stolen,

49.95% chance the required information was sourced from a bank employee.

49.95% chance the required information was sourced from Thai partner.

0.1% chance this was another person.

99.7% you're correct.

0.3% you're wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Well, if I had an account in a fairly 'dubious' country known for scams and bribery I think I'd be more security concious thinking

Yes, maybe better not to even open an account then, if you have to monitor the account merely to find out if your money has been stolen! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

The dangers of Internet banking.  In Thailand I always go to the bank when I want money,  Doesn't take long and is safe, never use an ATM.  Too many people are hooked on technology and use their phone for financial dealings and put their details on their phone.  Fine till you lose it !

yes ....   it's better not to use any electronic device near any credit cards or they may be cloned.

When I applied for BB's 'Bua Luang' online service, I had apply 'long hand' at the branch holding my account. The procedure took 8-10 days with how-to instructions sent to my registered email address.

Chances are, this guy opened the account but either wasn't going to be around long enough to complete the online service setup or opted that it wasn't required at the time.

More recently, BB has introduced the 'PromptPay' system where transactions are enabled through mobile phone numbers. I seriously doubt that this system can be easily compromised and I seriously doubt that this guys account was singled out by a shonky BB employee.

24 minutes ago, car720 said:

Most probably a smart move by this guy.

He probably knows that the girlfriend took it but is smart enough not to confront her personally so he gets the cops to do the deed for him.  Smart move.

I think this is probably nearer to the truth.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

When I set up my internet banking, I had to go into the branch to make the arrangements (and supply my phone number) and then use their ATM to enter my user name and password. After that I was able to go home and log in on my PC. 

Your lucky, I've been to my branch four times in the last two years and done exactly the same thing and I still can't log in. I've just given up now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Your lucky, I've been to my branch four times in the last two years and done exactly the same thing and I still can't log in. I've just given up now.

You're doing it wrong... but you've given up already so never mind that it works for hundreds of others.

• Haha 1