North Korea threatens to 'counter' U.S. over military drills

Jonathan Fairfield

North Korea threatens to 'counter' U.S. over military drills

2018-03-03T132157Z_2_LYNXNPEE220BC_RTROPTP_3_NORTHKOREA-MISSILES-KIMJONGUN-IMAGE.JPG

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea threatened on Saturday to "counter the U.S." if the United States holds joint military exercises with South Korea, and said it would not beg for talks with Washington.

The United States is due to start joint exercises in early April, a South Korean presidential security adviser said this week according to Yonhap news agency - the latest in a series of drills that the north has regularly described as a threat.

"If the U.S. finally holds joint military exercises while keeping sanctions on the DPRK, the DPRK will counter the U.S. by its own mode of counteraction and the U.S. will be made to own all responsibilities for the ensuing consequences," North Korea's official KCNA news agency said in its commentary, saying the drills would harm reconciliation efforts on the peninsula.

The DPRK is the acronym of the country’s official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

On Feb. 23, the United States said it was imposing its largest package of sanctions to pressure North Korea to give up its nuclear and missile programmes. President Donald Trump warned of a "phase two" that could be "very, very unfortunate for the world" if the steps did not work.

North Korea has slammed Trump's unilateral sanctions against it, but it said it was open to talks with the United States during senior NorthKorean officials' visit to South Korea for the Olympics last month.

The White House said any talks with North Korea must lead to an end of its nuclear programme.

North Korea reiterated on Saturday that it was willing to talk to the United States but said it would never sit with any precondition.

A North Korean foreign ministry spokesman was quoted by state media KCNA news agency as saying "we will neither beg for dialogue nor evade the military option claimed by the U.S."

"Whether peace desired by our nation and the rest of the world settles on the Korean peninsula or a situation that no one desires is developed in the vicious cycle of confrontation depends entirely on the attitude of the U.S." the spokesman said, according to KCNA.

South Korea plans to send a special envoy to North Korea in response to an invitation from leader Kim Jong Un, South Korean President Moon Jae-in told Trump in a phone call on Thursday.

The Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang last month gave a boost to recent engagement between the two Koreas after sharply rising tensions over theNorth’s missile programme.

(Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin, Ju-min Park; Editing by Stephen Powell)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-04
  • Like 1

a 'Talk to the Hand' meme would fit right in here too!

and as for the Democatic commie...

his 'Drills' will be underground

a nuclear Hill60

Edited by tifino

"If the U.S. finally holds joint military exercises while keeping sanctions on the DPRK, the DPRK will counter the U.S. by its own mode of counteraction and the U.S. will be made to own all responsibilities for the ensuing consequences,"

"... because I can assign ownership of responsibilities and their consequences to anyone I like or dislike due to my ownership-assigning-powers as a Super Hero. I can also balance a glass of water on my head, due to my tabletop haircut."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't N. Korea threaten to nuke the United States? Why should the U.S. bow to the whims of that lunatic?  The U.S. will never give in to threats. The time for talk is slowly passing.

Talk about a weak reason not to talk. 

Talk for peace and end it is just that a willingness to talk peace. Only immature men will say you said bad things before I will not talk to you.

America is saying we only talk after the war. No war no talk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't N. Korea threaten to nuke the United States? Why should the U.S. bow to the whims of that lunatic?  The U.S. will never give in to threats. The time for talk is slowly passing.

The US never threatens ?  Oh boy...

Time for talks is slowly passing... And then ?  Nukes on NK ?

Fire and Fury ?  WW III ?  Who will win ?

Edited by maximillian
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Looking at the US engagements in Korea 1953, Iran, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Cuba, Iraq, Syria, Lybia, Somalia, Yemen and so forth, I can understand the fears of N.Korea's leaders.

but NK hasn't got any viable OilFields to exploit    (fight over, or 'protect' )

Edited by tifino
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I feel here is the problem. America demands that NK meet America's demands or there is no talks. America should learn that talks are about settling things and sit down and talk. Not put out condition's for the talk

Whether peace desired by our nation and the rest of the world settles on the Korean peninsula or a situation that no one desires is developed in the vicious cycle of confrontation depends entirely on the attitude of the U.S." the spokesman said, according to KCNA.

That pretty well says it all huh.

I seem to recall NK raising various demands of its own in relation to talks (such as end US-SK military drills, lift sanctions, nuclear rollback not on the table).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

You must be American That pic says it all about US attitude. It is the attitude US has the weapons and will win. It is not about right or wrong with America or talks it is about war weapons. Typical of a bully

. But NK is proud and will not give in to a bully good on them.

That pic does say it all. There's a disconnect between NK fiery rhetoric and its actual capabilities to "counter" anything related to the SK-US military drills. And NK not acting like a bully? Good one. Try harder.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Morch said:

I seem to recall NK raising various demands of its own in relation to talks (such as end US-SK military drills, lift sanctions, nuclear rollback not on the table).

How far do you want to go back?  Get up to speed we are talking now not historical actions. With an attitude like this there can never be talks.Some of you are like a dog with a bone that will not let go of things to progress. Why not just back to the war end the cease fire huh. 

It seems to me they are talking today not yesterday. What is in the past is in the past I did not hear any talk of conditions in this effort to get peace talks going.At this time  only the good old USA is making demands before they will talk .

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, lovelomsak said:

How far do you want to go back?  Get up to speed we are talking now not historical actions. With an attitude like this there can never be talks.Some of you are like a dog with a bone that will not let go of things to progress. Why not just back to the war end the cease fire huh. 

It seems to me they are talking today not yesterday. What is in the past is in the past I did not hear any talk of conditions in this effort to get peace talks going. Only the good old USA is making demands before they will talk .

More generalized nonsense. More deflections. That's the ticket.

:coffee1:

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Morch said:

That pic does say it all. There's a disconnect between NK fiery rhetoric and its actual capabilities to "counter" anything related to the SK-US military drills. And NK not acting like a bully? Good one. Try harder.

So you are saying the great USA  can bully because NK cannot counter do I have this right. Nice country just enforced my bullying .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovelomsak said:

So you are saying the great USA  can bully because NK cannot counter do I have this right. Nice country just enforced my bullying .

No, I obviously wasn't saying anything of the sort. That's just you twisting my words or exhibiting reading comprehension issues.

NK does act like a bully, whether you like to acknowledge it or not. And it is possible for two countries to act badly, even in the same context. The SK-US drills are not "bullying", other than in NK's narrative. And NK cannot effectively "counter" in any meaningful sense, other than in NK fiery rhetoric statements.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Not deflection the truth some guys cannot accept that and I understand

Yeah, I get it some of you Kim fans/US bashers think that "truth" is whatever aligns with your point of view. It isn't.

Edited by Morch
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

Yeah, I get it some of you Kim fans/US bashers think that "truth" is whatever aligns with your point of view. It isn't.

Now that's deflection at its best. Thanks for showing us a good example of deflection.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Now that's deflection at its best. Thanks for showing us a good example of deflection.

parabolic deflection

aka the rhetoric blown out of a  fatman's nethers... 

1x01-Cartman-Gets-an-Anal-Probe-south-park-40218994-480-360.gif.94b3b9ca4a57a79f01c24b61d0935e00.gifrespect mah authoritah 

Edited by tifino

21 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

The SK US drills are delibrately provocative right on the doorstep of NK 1000's of miles from the US. Would the US think it ok should NK carry out military drills with Cuba off the US coast?

Of course they would not be. There fiery rhetoric is in direct response to be bullied by the US. 

The SK-US drills are related to NK's stance and actions vs. SK. Obviously, some posters do not see NK's longtime belligerence as relevant, that does not make it so. And as said, NK's fiery rhetoric is about as much as it can do when it comes to "countering", hence the pic posted above was rather apt.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, maximillian said:

Looking at the US engagements in Korea 1953, Iran, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Cuba, Yugoslavia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Lybia, Somalia, Yemen and so forth, I can understand the fears of N.Korea's leaders.

Funny how you leave out all the other countries that participate in these conflicts. As an example. I didn't know the U.S. was the only participant in the U.N. peacekeeping force in Korea. Must make all the veterans of that war from other countries very proud of what you think.

I am now just learning that all the others from the Vietnam war from Australia, Canada, England, Thailand, Greece, and many others were not really in Vietnam when I was there.  I guess there is no point in thinking that there was a coalition of countries that went into Kuwait when it was invaded by Iraq. If ignorance is bliss. You are apparently more bliss than others!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, maximillian said:

Thanks for your kind answer, PhonThong, you are right, many more nations were and still are involved in wars siding with the US. That doesn't make things any better. Shame on them all.

You, as a Vietnam veteran, should realize  by now that you had been abused by the MIC etc as cannon fodder to fight a poor country, that had been exploited for a long time by colonial powers. And it was a very dirty war against a small country who just wanted to liberate itself from age long colonialism. Your fine US coalition bombed and used agent orange and napalm against millions of civilians in Vietnam and neighbouring countries. And you are even proud of it. Unbelievable.

Nearly 60.000 GI's lost their lives, another 100.000 plus were traumatized and maimed in that war together with many millions of Asians. For what ?  For the profit of Wall Street, MIC and the fame of the Pentagon.

Better you don't talk  to anybody about ignorance.

Which umbrella do you live under? The short-term pain of accepting the truth is much better than the long-term pain of believing an illusion.  I fail to see where I called anyone ignorant. 

Edited by PhonThong

12 hours ago, PhonThong said:
12 hours ago, PhonThong said:

. If ignorance is bliss. You are apparently more bliss than others!

Look here for answer to the statement below.

37 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

I fail to see where I called anyone ignorant.